Range on a New 500mAh Bosch

yakduzi

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 14, 2016
holmfirth
Hi guys,

I've just got me new Haibike Hardnine xDuro RC with the bosch CX drive and the new 500 mph battery. I'm shocked at how bad the milage is on it. Can you guys let me know if this is right?

When fully charged, its saying rage is:

Eco 33miles
Tour 22miles
Turbo 11 miles

on a full charge of a brand new 500 battery! Is that right or should I be concerned? The new batteries are supposed to do upward of 100+ miles on eco. Do I have a duff battery? 11 mils on a full charge sounds rubbish.

Stu.

Reactions: stephen Harvey

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
I'm no expert but that deffo don,t sound right...full charge on my yam 400w battery reads...high..45..standard..51...eco..68..eco+88...summit wrong there..^^

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
do you use a dongle? range depends as will change as to what mode you are in from the last time you rode it so if in turbo all the time range will be lower than if in eco mode after charging the batt.

you can reset the range just press the reset button on the screen tho it will never go as far as it says when you reset it.

yakduzi

May 14, 2016
holmfirth
No dongle, just a straight new bike. I rode mainly hills today and got 35 miles in a mix of turbo and eco. I just though the big battery would have been better than that.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Have you actually tried it to see how far it goes? Fist time out on my bosch 500w it showed 103 miles in eco but that soon changed when I hit the first Hill. Now it shows 70 ish after a full charge but actually does about 50 , probably due to the hills.
Can you take it back for a diagnostic?

paul20v

Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2015
How many sections were left on the screen or battery display?
Was the battery fully discharged?
You should be getting a lot more than that even if you used turbo continuously

yakduzi

May 14, 2016
holmfirth
I ran it last night, did 11 miles. Didn't charge it. Went out and did 20 ish today. Totally flattened the battery (just read that I shouldn't do that).

Got home and put it on charge. It finished charging, I stuck it back on the bike and checked the range.

I'll do some more runs and pop some more reports as I go.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Hi guys,

I've just got me new Haibike Hardnine xDuro RC with the bosch CX drive and the new 500 mph battery. I'm shocked at how bad the milage is on it. Can you guys let me know if this is right?

When fully charged, its saying rage is:

Eco 33miles
Tour 22miles
Turbo 11 miles

on a full charge of a brand new 500 battery! Is that right or should I be concerned? The new batteries are supposed to do upward of 100+ miles on eco. Do I have a duff battery? 11 mils on a full charge sounds rubbish.

Stu.
The range quotes are based on previous rides, and adjust continuously as you ride, so you should see the figures change very quickly as you ride.
I never look at the range read-out these days, but I do sometimes rely on the battery indicator, making mental notes on how far each 20% bar has taken me,

Mar 9, 2016
I,ve just done 26 miles on tracks with 3 big climbs on highest setting and still had 18% left in 400wh battery.
I believe the Bosch is adaptive with range predictions, my yam isn't..
But those figures sound really poor.
I,d pop back to dealer and get them to check battery...
Even in highest setting on hard terrain with loads of climbing the 500wh battery should be good for 30 miles plus.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I assume you haven't gotten your figures from actually riding the bike and your assuming the displayed mileage to be correct.
Your bikes computer estimates the remaining mileage based on your riding style and the most recent usage.

Worst case. your riding up a long step hill on max assist, the computer says 15miles remaining, that would be 15miles of up hill on max assist.

Best case. Your on level ground with a tail wind in Eco, now the computer says 80miles remaining, that would be if the conditions stayed the same.

I have a 2 year old 400 battery and expect around 30miles of high power usage (usually off road) and 60 plus miles of light battery use.

The estimated mileage left is just that, an estimation.
The more you ride, the more you'll figure out how to interpret it.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The range quotes are based on previous rides, and adjust continuously as you ride, so you should see the figures change very quickly as you ride.
I never look at the range read-out these days, but I do sometimes rely on the battery indicator, making mental notes on how far each 20% bar has taken me,
Stu has it.

The range meter on Bosch bikes is better than some, but it's still not much real world help due to it projecting from the last x miles.

There's a gentle down hill stretch of the C2C path near me which lasts for 10 miles.

Descending that - a few turns of the pedals now and again - I can get the range meter to show 150 miles plus on a part-used battery.

The range would be that long if that terrain lasted for 150 miles.

Reactions: Artstu

yakduzi

May 14, 2016
holmfirth
Thanks guys,
I did track the milage this time and it was 35 ish and I didn't use turbo that much.

I'll do a few more runs and charges and let you now how I get on. If its still bad then it's under warranty at least!

S

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks guys,
I did track the milage this time and it was 35 ish and I didn't use turbo that much.

I'll do a few more runs and charges and let you now how I get on. If its still bad then it's under warranty at least!

S
I see you are in Holmfirth.

It's a very lumpy part of the country.

Hills really suck battery range, so your initial findings look about right to me.

kurtulus_m

Just Joined
Apr 11, 2016
Hi guys,

I have R&M with Bosch Performance motor with 500Wh battery. I see like 140 km on Eco and 55 km on Turbo. I also purchased Nyon's topo-range (normally Nyon assumes flat roads when giving range).

However, when start to drive this value reduces. For example, for a ride of 70 km (some inclines) and only eco and tour modes are used (sport very little, turbo no) consumes ˜44% of battery.

But this range thing is very tricky. Better not to rely on too much than your experiences...

BR,

SM-P900 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just done a small test on mine..
Scott E-Genius 920 Bosch CX 500w
Fully charged and reset showing 103 miles on eco. I have just ridden 15 miles 50% Road, 10% Woods, and 40% Canal towpath with an elevation gain of 500ft. Ave Speed 13.7MPH, mostly in Eco, with the odd splodge of tour on the gradients.
Battery is still showing 5 segments and 65 miles to go in eco.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i can charge my 400w up stick it on the bike and in turbo says 6 miles some times.:eek:

tho mostly stays around 11 miles in turbo if not been zooming round flat out.