Rear Bike Carrier Damage

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
Does carrying an electric bike (less battery) on rear mounted Strada or Thrule carrier likely to cause much damage to your bike? I ask this because i am buying a panel van conversion soon. I have a 7 year old 20" wheel folding tesco hopper, which is still going very well. Original frog battery has now bulged and cant fit on, but have a 14amp one bought 5 years ago has about 60% capacity, enough for 20-25 miles. So was thinking of buying a quality full sized e-bike to do much more touring, but am concerned of shaking it to bits, as i intend to be motorhomeing quite a lot.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Does carrying an electric bike (less battery) on rear mounted Strada or Thrule carrier likely to cause much damage to your bike? I ask this because i am buying a panel van conversion soon. I have a 7 year old 20" wheel folding tesco hopper, which is still going very well. Original frog battery has now bulged and cant fit on, but have a 14amp one bought 5 years ago has about 60% capacity, enough for 20-25 miles. So was thinking of buying a quality full sized e-bike to do much more touring, but am concerned of shaking it to bits, as i intend to be motorhomeing quite a lot.
Check the manual for the bike carrier,(find one online maybe) as it will specify maximum weight of bike(s) allowed. Andy

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I am thinking the same thing and take your point that a mismatched carrier could cause a few unnecessary scratches.
I am considering this one as it is sturdy, will carry heavy bikes and I have limited storage space. I am also considering using pipe insulation to go between bike and carrier, but really that part isn't hard to sort out.
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/bike-racks/towbar-mounted-bike-racks/thule-easyfold-xt-2b-13pin-uk-cycle-carrier
Can I be cheeky - we have just 2 of these left...
https://www.juicybike.co.uk/electric-bikes/accessories/peruzzo-electric-bike-carrier

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
Perhaps the tow-bar carriers suitable for e-bikes are strong enough but my heart would be in my mouth with 2 to 3 grands worth of bike hanging on tow-bar. Would be happier with it permanently fixed to van door.
Would still have concerns with damage to the e-bike getting jolted about.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Perhaps the tow-bar carriers suitable for e-bikes are strong enough but my heart would be in my mouth with 2 to 3 grands worth of bike hanging on tow-bar. Would be happier with it permanently fixed to van door.
Would still have concerns with damage to the e-bike getting jolted about.
I was thinking it the other way around. I will be putting a 6K bike on one and feel the towball carriers offer a more stable platform than a rear door mounted one. A friend has a Thule towball carrier and we could both jump up and down on it. I would never put mine on a door mount as those I have seen are held on with straps.
The thule easyfold can carry 60KG...
Glad you started this thread.... we should get some first hand views on the subject.

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Gubbins and Cabo

I bought this one from Tredz a year ago

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Thule-92501-VeloCompact-2-Bike-Towball-Carrier-7-Pin_91095.htm

Cost me about £23 a month for a year on interest free credit.

I have two Bosch CD bikes each weighing around 21 kgs each I guess without battery, which I always carry in the car along with the heavy kryptonite U locks.

I have travelled considerable distances at 70mph ..mostly with one on, sometimes with both. Also along many bumpy rutted tracks.
I have never had a hint of movement or any issue with the rack.

I considered it quite an investment at the time at £270 plus about £130 for a new witter bar for my Mazda 6 off ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clearance-Towbar-Witter-Mazda-6-Hatchback-2007-2013-MZ48A/202493976099?hash=item2f2594de23:g:8cEAAOSwlelb4ZP1:rk:14:pf:0

and £35 for 7 pin electrics kit off ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Single-7-Pin-Electric-Towbar-Wiring-Kit-including-bypass-relay/132784755236?hash=item1eea969224:g:K70AAOSw4WFbn5KA

fitted by a very reasonable one man band auto electrician for £110 (bar and electrics).

Total cost about £545 for bar, electrics, fitting and quality carrier by shopping around.

One year on I consider it the best money I've spent for a long time. So easy to take on and off. Width reduces by pushing in the tracks and lights so takes up little space when off car, and not too heavy to move around. Deterrent lockable, tow bar clamp and bike clamps with same key, and most of all, absolutely no worry about anything once on the move.

With the added bonus that I can borrow a trailer to take stuff to the tip without putting loads of crap in the car !! :)

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Gubbins and Cabo

I bought this one from Tredz a year ago

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Thule-92501-VeloCompact-2-Bike-Towball-Carrier-7-Pin_91095.htm

Cost me about £23 a month for a year on interest free credit.

I have two Bosch CD bikes each weighing around 21 kgs each I guess without battery, which I always carry in the car along with the heavy kryptonite U locks.

I have travelled considerable distances at 70mph ..mostly with one on, sometimes with both. Also along many bumpy rutted tracks.
I have never had a hint of movement or any issue with the rack.

I considered it quite an investment at the time at £270 plus about £130 for a new witter bar for my Mazda 6 off ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clearance-Towbar-Witter-Mazda-6-Hatchback-2007-2013-MZ48A/202493976099?hash=item2f2594de23:g:8cEAAOSwlelb4ZP1:rk:14:pf:0

and £35 for 7 pin electrics kit off ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Single-7-Pin-Electric-Towbar-Wiring-Kit-including-bypass-relay/132784755236?hash=item1eea969224:g:K70AAOSw4WFbn5KA

fitted by a very reasonable one man band auto electrician for £110 (bar and electrics).

Total cost about £545 for bar, electrics, fitting and quality carrier by shopping around.

One year on I consider it the best money I've spent for a long time. So easy to take on and off. Width reduces by pushing in the tracks and lights so takes up little space when off car, and not too heavy to move around. Deterrent lockable, tow bar clamp and bike clamps with same key, and most of all, absolutely no worry about anything once on the move.

Just my opinion.
For me its garage floor space so going with the folding version.

Reactions: falmouthtony

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
Great to know the towbar carriers are that good.
Oh dear i am going to have to buy and expensive bike to put on it.
Many thanks for your help

Kenno

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 6, 2018
Yes you can be cheeky, but, I don't yet have a tow bar fitted and dealer wants £1745 to fit one, bike is still in Germany and I want to actually see one on the flesh before buying.
Hello Gubbins

I've tried all types of carriers, and for me, roof or tow bar methods are the best, the strap on ones are useless. I am in the same position as you. albeit fitting one to a car rather than van, and with my bike now being a 21kg CUBE, I will be going for the towbar option, they are increadibly stable, and secure. I have been quoted £250 for a fixed towbar and 7 pin electrics, and £450 for a detachable one, both Witter, fitted to a SEAT Leon. This is from a mobile fitter, based at Maryport in Cumbria, where are you in the North ? I am south lakes and it's just outside his range, but he's happy for me to take my car to him for fitting, reckons 2-3 hrs. I could give you his number if you want, as £1800 seems a stupid high amount.

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
I have a Thule 925 Velo compact ...and carry two e-bikes ( one road and one mtb ) .....not had any issues ...you just need to practice putting them on and getting the settings of the arms correct

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I've had a two e-bike Strada for six months now and use it at least twice a week locally, always carrying two 21kg Cubes. I've also visited loads of forest parks this summer all over the UK mainly using motorways and not had a problem.
As the bikes sit in channels and are held rigid by an arm to the top tube there is no movement at all apart from a slight sideways springiness of the whole lot on the tow ball.The only rubbing point I have had is from ratcheting the strap around the top tube but a bit of gaffa tape solved this.
My only problem getting this set up was finding a non-towing tow ball for my Prius Hybrid which three out of four main dealers said wasn't available.
Before that I was loading one bike on top of the other in the car which was a nightmare. Best money I've spent even though the tow bracket cost more than the rack.