Rear Brake Freezes

karl101

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2011
Hello,
With the recent cold weather the rear brake on my Wisper 905 SEL keeps freezing, the lever becomes locked solid and the brake won't engage. Its the early version of the bike with the cable brakes.

The brake itself is OK and the lever the cable attaches to moves as expected. It seems to me that there is some oil in the brake sleeve that is solidifying in the cold. As soon as I get the bike somewhere warm the cable frees up and the brake works.

Any suggestions on how to fix this, clean the cable, without having to remove the cable or sleeving from the bike?

Karl.

lowranger

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2008
Hello,
With the recent cold weather the rear brake on my Wisper 905 SEL keeps freezing, the lever becomes locked solid and the brake won't engage. Its the early version of the bike with the cable brakes.

The brake itself is OK and the lever the cable attaches to moves as expected. It seems to me that there is some oil in the brake sleeve that is solidifying in the cold. As soon as I get the bike somewhere warm the cable frees up and the brake works.

Any suggestions on how to fix this, clean the cable, without having to remove the cable or sleeving from the bike?

Karl.
Hi. Dont know your bike specifically but if cable runs allow moisture to collect somewhere You need to get the moisture out somehow. The best way, as I'm sure you've worked out is to strip and clean but if you're not happy doing this then it's wd40 or similar. If you position the bike so that gravity will help move the lube down the cable and help it on its way by activating the brake. You may need to turn the bike over several times to achieve this. Be careful none runs onto the brakes themselves. This should help keep moisture out as well. Good luck.

lowranger

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2008
This isn't moisture. The bike had been indoors for three days before, and it wasn't raining.
Ah. Did you mean frozen or sticking?
If they are frozen there has to be some water in there perhaps from condensation or it could have been in from a wet ride previously and been sitting there not causing a problem. However if they are sticking I would would suggest the same procedure, you just need to the get the cable moving freely, if they are sticking its usually moisture that has carried dirt in with it or the cable has worn through the friction free lining of the cable outer. If its the later the only long term solution is new cables but lube will help if done on a regular basis

Pharisee

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 9, 2011
An easy way to lube a control cable is to disconnect it from the handlebar lever, pour some thin oil into a small plastic bag and put the end on the cable and outer sleeve into the bag as well. Twist the open end of the bag around the cable and secure with insulation tape, turn it upside down and gently squeeze the bag to force the oil through the cable. A bit messy but it gets the job done.

karl101

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2011
Hello,
A year and a bit later with the sicking getting progressively worse, I finally got off my idle backside and investigated properly. Took the cable out and came across this:

As the cable exit hole to the rear brake points upwards it looks to me that water had gotten in, accumulated at lowest point and rotted the cable. So I've now cleaned the sleeving with soapy water, loads of WD-40 and can of bike oil that contains PTFE and just need to get a new cable this weekend.

Karl.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Hello,
A year and a bit later with the sicking getting progressively worse, I finally got off my idle backside and investigated properly. Took the cable out and came across this:

As the cable exit hole to the rear brake points upwards it looks to me that water had gotten in, accumulated at lowest point and rotted the cable. So I've now cleaned the sleeving with soapy water, loads of WD-40 and can of bike oil that contains PTFE and just need to get a new cable this weekend.

Karl.
I would check/replace the other cables too, they are all the same age on the same bike in the same conditions. If you have a wilkinsons near you they have decent cables for cheap.

http://www.wilko.com/bike-accessories/wilko-rear-universal-brake-cable/invt/0011475?VBMST=brake cable

Reactions: Artstu

Pharisee

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 9, 2011
Stainless cables won't go rusty but it's no substitute for a little regular maintenance.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Karl, that cable looks as if it has rusted, which is unusual, do you use the bike regularly?

The brake cables on the early SELs were actually very good. We do have stock of spares if you need them.

If I can be of any assistance please let me know.

Best regards

David

PS thanks everyone for your assistance here, all very sensible stuff!

karl101

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2011
Hello David,
Yes I use the bike regularly for the daily commute, and at work its parked up outside in the elements. I think this has happened because the cable exit to the brake is pointing upwards and the cable has a dip in it, so when it rains water gets in but can't drain out, so despite regular oiling it still rusts. I'll get it all sorted this weekend, and get it back on the road.

I'm half thinking of fitting hydraulic brakes, like those on the current model. Obviously as the brake levers have switches in them I'll be needing Wisper parts. How much would it cost me for the parts (not labour) to replace the brakes?

Karl.

Advertisers