Rear brake pain

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The rear V brake caliper on the wife's Big Bear has become a real pita. I fiddle with for half an hour, get it releasing equally. Then we go out and in no time it's releasing asymetrically again. To stop it binding it is set so slack that the lever comes all the way to the handlebar, giving no feel.
A Magura HS11 is one answer, but it looks like the rim will take a disc (I have a spare disc) however there are no mounting lugs on the chainstay. Does anyone know of a disc caliper that can mount on the chainstay?
Or is there a better quality V caliper maybe? Existing one is Tektro.
Thanks

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it could be that a section of the outer cable is sticky.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I replaced my Tektro with an Avid Digit 5, world of difference! If you don't need a brake sensor go for the Magura.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yep that is the one. I was having the same problem as you and (touching wood) so far so good. The Avid seems to be easier to set up.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Big plus of going to HS11 is long term maintenance free operation. Better braking plus lot lighter pull required especially on rear where long cable run adds more resistance and stretch.

HS11 can be bit fiddly to setup initially, the online video wasn't much use in my case. Brake housing has grooves in it over which plastic collar fits, this is clamped to frame, setting angle and distance of pad from rim.
I resorted to manually place collar in right spot/grooves then reassemble and check. Once I figured out how to do it, setup of 2nd brake only took 1/2 hour.

I recommend buying standard screwdriver (100mm?) with T25 torx head to adjust handle screws, a multi tool will be to short. You can also use on housing clamp bolts while setting up, will still need 4-8nm torque wrench for final tighten.

Handle srcrews are stupid design as these screws need ocassional adjustment as pads wear and should be accessible with multi tool. HS33 and maybe HS22 use thumb screw, big improvement. That is also difference on Shimano XT and SLX disc brakes but at least SLX can be adjusted with multitool.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Cable's been replaced. Either one side or the other doesn't release from the wheel. Bloody thing's driving me nuts.
I take it that you have already checked that the pivots are greased and not sticking. Have you also adjusted the spring tension screws?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Yup, bin there, done that, got the tee shirt, using it as a duster!
It's not the first time there's been this problem with V brakes in my life to be honest. On my own bike I would persevere but, as this is the wife's bike, I want to make sure it's safe. She can be a bit tardy reporting anything amiss, just assumes that's how it's meant to be I guess.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Lesson learned this week: never grab a big handful of HS11 on the front! :eek: I panicked and was going much too fast.

One destroyed front wheel (cheap Decathlon) and lots of bruised bits including pride :oops:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Lesson learned this week: never grab a big handful of HS11 on the front! :eek: I panicked and was going much too fast.
the HS11 are brutally effective at stopping the bike. I had them on my Karoo prototype test bike.
Get well soon.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales

One destroyed front wheel (cheap Decathlon) and lots of bruised bits including pride :oops:
Got one of those on the front of our 'guest bike'. When someone new is about to ride I always dwell on the fact that it's hydraulic because I suspected it might be capable of doing that. Not to grab a handful is the exact phrase I use.
Speedy recovery AK.
ps Arnica ointment is good on bruises.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

I hope your bruised bits did not include your pride and joy.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
he totalled the front wheel. Must have hurt hell of a lot.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It was over in the blink of an eye I must have been doing more than 20 km/h. I fell on my elbow which cracked a couple of ribs, hardly any scratches. I remember very clearly thinking that having ones feet at the vertical of ones head was not a good sign... I had very sore wrists because I didn't have time to let go of the grips quick enough but not sprained thank goodness. I went to work after and have been out on the trike twice since - trikes are bruised rib friendly :)

Lessons learned on hardware:

The rim was a Decathlon entry level one, I think a DT Swiss or other quality rim might have held up better. No broken spokes!

Big Ben tyres have huge grip! I don't know if I was on a metal manhole cover or on the sealed bit but the tyre just stopped turning with no slippage (no trace on the road after).

Now where is that post in which I spoke badly of ABS systems on bikes? :p

Advertisers