Rear break pads

Gruff60

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 15, 2017
Snowdonia, North Wales
Hi, just wondering, today I had to replace my rear brake pads, they were down to the metal. Only had the bike just over a month is that normal?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Hi, just wondering, today I had to replace my rear brake pads, they were down to the metal. Only had the bike just over a month is that normal?
Normal if you go fast and brake a lot I suppose. :)

Which pads are they? I replaced mine with upgraded pads from fleabay. ;)

Gruff60

Feb 15, 2017
Snowdonia, North Wales
Not sure what type of pads the were, just came with the bike. I'm quite a heavy chap at 100 kg and all my rides are up in the mountains, I guess I'll just have to change them regularly.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Depends on use, but given the rear brake of a bike only does about 10 per cent of the braking, you might like to have a think about your braking technique.

• Agree

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Not sure what type of pads the were, just came with the bike. I'm quite a heavy chap at 100 kg and all my rides are up in the mountains, I guess I'll just have to change them regularly.
Me too and changed mine at 900+ miles.

Something is not quite right there.

• Agree

Gruff60

Feb 15, 2017
Snowdonia, North Wales
Hi again, my technique must be way out if you only use rear brake 10% of the time, I probably use it 80% of the time. Scared of losing grip on the front wheel or worse going head first over the handlebars. I'll have to have a re-think......cheers

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you want sintered pads for them to last longer and double check the disc is not rubbing against the pads as this will also wear them out fast.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and IR772

Gruff60

Feb 15, 2017
Snowdonia, North Wales
Cheers Soundwave, I'll look into sintered pads, as you can probably tell I'm pretty new to all this, so all advice gratefully received. .......cheers

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It will take time but you will get used to front braking bias over rear, you will eventually realise where the bite point [s and when to back off a little. I tend to go sintered on the front and resin on the rear as I'm kinder to them.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Probably easiest to carry on until the next set wear down and see how long that takes. If it's a month:( if it's six months ;)

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Hi again, my technique must be way out if you only use rear brake 10% of the time, I probably use it 80% of the time. Scared of losing grip on the front wheel or worse going head first over the handlebars. I'll have to have a re-think......cheers
I had the same problem when I first started ebiking, never touched the front brake atall for the same reasons you say, untill I learned off this forum about the front generally being the main brake when safe to do so. It takes a bit of getting used to but really enhances your braking when using the front first.

• Agree

Gruff60

Feb 15, 2017
Snowdonia, North Wales
Thanks for all the advice guys, just Googled MTB braking techniques and it does look as if i'm too reliant on my rear brake. I will see if my new pads are any better and also adjust the way I brake. ......cheers

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks for all the advice guys, just Googled MTB braking techniques and it does look as if i'm too reliant on my rear brake. I will see if my new pads are any better and also adjust the way I brake. ......cheers
As you've probably now gathered, when you brake a bicycle the vast majority of the weight transfers to the front wheel.

This means two things, the front wheel is pressed firmly into the surface so is unlikely to lose traction, and the rear wheel becomes 'light', making traction loss more likely.

Having said that, rear braking only has its uses, particularly if you like to skid broadside to a halt.

Reactions: D8ve

Related Articles

Advertisers