Rear cassette.

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
Hi on my ride to tonight thought the chain was slipping but found out it was the 2 smallest cogs spinning. Is this a service item or a possible warranty thing. Excuse my ignorance but not sure how a rear cassette is made up.cheers.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
If it`s slipping/jumping on the small rear cogs only possibly the chain is too slack, or more likely just wear over time, how many miles on it?. If that`s the case you`d then have to replace both chain and cassette

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you need to remove the cassette and have a look whats wrong but it could be just loose and need tighten up the bolt that holds it on the free hub.

if there is damage to the free hub splines then you will need a new one and cassette.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you need to check for damage to the free hub b4 you tighten it back up.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Rather than buy odd tools as required which can work out expensive, I bought a tool kit from Halfords which has everything I have needed so far, including the tools to undoo/tighten the cassette and I have also found that doing a search in youtube will give you advice and instruction on doing most jobs.
After fitting a new cassette it came loose twice but that was because (1) I hadnt engaged the smallest cog correctly, and then (2) because I hadnt tightened it up correctly so after any work I check it after the first few rides. When mine was loose it just rattled and wouldnt change geer correctly, it didnt spin which likely means the shaft it fits on is damaged..

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I once had the 11t come loose when I initially only did the lock nut up hand tight and forgot to torque it up.
I usually find the lock nut doesn't engage very well if the last gear isn't located in the keyway correctly.

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
I took it to my lbs who tightened it up.He removed the cassette the hub has a few signs of damage.Might have got away with it for now but might be more expensive later.

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
Rather than buy odd tools as required which can work out expensive, I bought a tool kit from Halfords which has everything I have needed so far, including the tools to undoo/tighten the cassette and I have also found that doing a search in youtube will give you advice and instruction on doing most jobs.
After fitting a new cassette it came loose twice but that was because (1) I hadnt engaged the smallest cog correctly, and then (2) because I hadnt tightened it up correctly so after any work I check it after the first few rides. When mine was loose it just rattled and wouldnt change geer correctly, it didnt spin which likely means the shaft it fits on is damaged..
Yes saw those tool kits the other day might be worth a look.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
For removing the cassette you need a chain whip and the splined socket to fit the retaining screw, both were in my tool kit. Other tool of use is the crank removal tool and several others I dont yet know the purpose of! You might price up what you need individually first, but I thought it was good value and so far hs everything I have needed. Aldi and Lidl sell similar kits when there's a cycling special on.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if the free hub has notches on it like in the pic above even tho it is now tight if there is any play at all in the 2 lower sprockets then it will just get worse and worse until the hub fails and the sprocket will spin round the free hub.

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
if the free hub has notches on it like in the pic above even tho it is now tight if there is any play at all in the 2 lower sprockets then it will just get worse and worse until the hub fails and the sprocket will spin round the free hub.
Yes unfortunately that's what they said at lbs.They said it might last 2 0r 3 months or even a year or 2 suppose depends on use..

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
Hi bike wheel has play side to side again .How much should I expect to pay for replacement hub and any other expected parts.plz

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
Hi bike wheel has play side to side again .How much should I expect to pay for replacement hub and any other expected parts.plz
Just had a look although the hub does want replacing as it is worn the side to side play I think is just a cone adjustment.seems ok now.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I must be honest I use Hope hubs but use a steel free hub .

Related Articles

Advertisers