Rear hub and derailleur

Wooju

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 11, 2016
Essex
Hello,
I ride on the 2014 Haibike FS RS. I bought it new and have done about 200 miles off-road and about 500 overall on the bike.
Yesterday I came back from a ride in a mtb centre and when packing the bike into the car, the cassette and the rear derailleur came off. The freehub is still attached to the cassette and after closer inspection, it looks like the freehub just open whereas the thread inside the bit that attaches derailleur to the frame has sheared off.
As the bike was build on the standard mtb parts, shall I replace them with the same or go for the dedicated ones? So far I only found the sram ex1 so would it work with the shimano shifter? Also, shall I invest in the new rear hub or try to put it back together? I can post some pictures if needed.

On the side note, I understand that things brake, but the bike was not cheap and was well spec so what is to blame? Maintenance, not dedicated emtb parts, my 95kg weight, type of ride?

Thanks in advance.

Rick Bullotta

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2017
USA
A freehub should not fail like that. I would think that you have a legitimate warranty situation. Hard to say what the best fix would be (new hub/wheelbuild, new freehub body, new axle + freehub body, etc.).

Wooju

Dec 11, 2016
Essex
Thanks for the reply. Bike is not under the warranty anymore... I mean the frame is but not the parts.
Regarding the freehub, I found this video
and he just takes the freehub using his hand... Are there any bolts he has undone first? If it's that easy to take off, I am wondering if I didn't pull it off when removing the rear wheel...

Rick Bullotta

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2017
USA
What is the exact model of rear hub? I'll take a look.

Wooju

Dec 11, 2016
Essex
Thanks for your help mate.
It's DT Swiss 350 Disc, axle 142 12mm

Rick Bullotta

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2017
USA
Ah, that's potentially good news!

I have DT 350's on two wheelsets and yes, the freehub body pulls off without needing to remove any nuts or other retention bits (you will need to pop the end cap off though). Keep track of the order of the parts as you pull it apart. While you're in there clean and lubricate things to keep the ratchet mechanism working smoothly. I prefer thinner greases (Phil Wood or Dumond oil) on freehub pawls/ratchets because I often ride in very cold weather.

Also, when you pull the hub apart, look carefully for any bits of metal that would indicate damaged parts. DT hubs are very easily serviceable so that you can get just the parts you'll need rather than needing a new hub and a wheel build!

In your case, it sounds like the cassette is still attached to the freehub body though. You should be able to carefully remove it with a chain whip and a cassette lockring tool/wrench. Avoid putting anything in a vice as you'll risk damaging it. And be careful that you don't slip and butcher your hand on the cassette!

Assuming that your frame came with a removable derailleur hanger, a Haibike dealer should be able to get you a replacement. Make sure to put some thread locker on any bolts or screws that hold it in place (Loctite Blue is what I use).

If it doesn't have a removable derailleur hanger, it's going to require a little machining and a thread insert to repair it. Best left to a professional mechanic.

If in doubt, let a local bike shop take a look at it. Should not be expensive repairs at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Wooju and argoose

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Sounds like you have damaged the mech hanger and the free play has popped the freehub off the wheel hub.
Remove chain, and if you can, whilst rotating cassette anti clockwise try to reseat free hub on to hub. This will help when removing wheel and then cassette.
You will have to disassemble again to clean, inspect and re-lube ratchets, as said above a little light grease. Too thick or too much and the system will give no end of problems,

Wooju

Dec 11, 2016
Essex
Gents, thank you for your feedback. I stared to collect tools/parts to get the bike fixed.
I have one more question regarding the rear derailleur. Bike is equipped with shimano xt m786 shadow plus and everywhere I look, i do not see the same mount as on my bike.
xt.JPG
On my bike, it's mounted using this additional hanger and mounted to the frame using the marked screw.
Can you advice where I can get this mount from? The thread has worn down in this bit and needs to be replaced. Shall i speak to Haibike? Is that a custom part?

Thanks

Reactions: argoose

Wooju

Dec 11, 2016
Essex
Gents, thank you for your feedback. I stared to collect tools/parts to get the bike fixed.
I have one more question regarding the rear derailleur. Bike is equipped with shimano xt m786 shadow plus and everywhere I look, i do not see the same mount as on my bike.
View attachment 22053
On my bike, it's mounted using this additional hanger and mounted to the frame using the marked screw.
Can you advice where I can get this mount from? The thread has worn down in this bit and needs to be replaced. Shall i speak to Haibike? Is that a custom part?

Thanks
I just found the product I need... Thanks again gents

Rick Bullotta

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2017
USA
As you probably deduced, derailleur hangers are VERY frame-specific. A dealer or the manufacturer is the best source. Pro tip: buy 3 of them. Install the new one to fix your bike, put one away in storage, and zip tie the 3rd one to your seat rails so that you always have a spare out on a ride. I've saved myself a lot of hiking that way. Glad you got everything sorted!

Related Articles

Advertisers