Rear Hub power lead repair

Gagsinio

Pedelecer
May 9, 2015
Hi, can anyone point me in the direction of someone who can fix the following please? My girlfriends rear wheel came out of the dropouts when being transported. The rear axle (where the power lead enters the motor) is cracked and the power lead has been pulled out,or snapped off. Its an Oxydrive Bafang 8fun 350w motor,

Cheers in advance,

Gareth

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
we can replace the damaged spindle but did you ask Oxygen?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If it's a hub kit from Oxydrive then Oxygen won't be involved and I doubt Andrew at Oxydrive went further then just supplying complete kits or kit parts.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's a really tricky repair. I've done a couple, but I wouldn't want to do another unless I had to. Also, the motor cable is relatively expensive.

Motors are not too expensive and you can use any motor. It doesn't even need to be the same type. Tell us which motor you have so that we can advise a suitable replacement.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
d8veh is right. It's a fiddly repair but if the cable is damaged at the elbow, there isn't an alternative.
The spindle is in two sections. The cable side is fairly easily accessible. You remove the cover, unscrew the bolts around the old spindle, de-solder all the wires and solder in the new spindle. If you are lucky, an hour but it can take as much as two hours to do the job. At £30 labour charge an hour, the bill can be substantial. I only have a small selection of replacement spindles for my BPM and SWX02 motors with 3, 6 and 9-pin short motor cables.

Gagsinio

Pedelecer
May 9, 2015
Hi, thanks for the replies. The wheel and motor look undamaged, but the power cable is pretty mangled, have included a picture of the damageBIke Axle.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

That's a cassette motor, so either SWX02C or CST. You need to tell us which and what size wheel it is. it might be easier or cheaper to replace the whole motor wheel.

Gagsinio

Pedelecer
May 9, 2015
Hi Dave, its a CST 8 Fun in a 26" wheel, Battery is 36v 13ah with Samsung cells. I just had it laced into a decent rim, hence wanting to try and save it. But if it would be cheaper to replace, could you suggest some alternatives, maybe up to 500w please?

D

Deleted member 4366

The Q128c is very good. You can get them in a wheel from BMSBattery.com. The 201 rpm one is about the same speed as what you have, so should be a good match.

The problem with the motor you have is that there are several versions that are internally different otherwise you could buy just the motor and swap the core, which would have been dead easy and the lowest cost.

This one is the complete kit, but probably the same cost or cheaper than just a motor-wheel from China.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36V350W-26-Rear-Motor-with-Cassette-Electric-bicycle-Conversion-kit/222254726342?epid=1785746085&hash=item33bf69fcc6:g:C3IAAOSwdTJaXvku

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Hi, can anyone point me in the direction of someone who can fix the following please? My girlfriends rear wheel came out of the dropouts when being transported. The rear axle (where the power lead enters the motor) is cracked and the power lead has been pulled out,or snapped off. Its an Oxydrive Bafang 8fun 350w motor,

Cheers in advance,

Gareth
Surprised nobody asked HOW the rear wheel fell out of the dropouts! If a torque plate had been fitted, say, then it might have held the wheel in long enough. No doubt the wheel nuts will be regularly checked from now on!