Rear Hub power lead repair

Discussion in 'Electric Bike Conversion Kits' started by Gagsinio, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Gagsinio

Gagsinio Finding my (electric) wheels

Hi, can anyone point me in the direction of someone who can fix the following please? My girlfriends rear wheel came out of the dropouts when being transported. The rear axle (where the power lead enters the motor) is cracked and the power lead has been pulled out,or snapped off. Its an Oxydrive Bafang 8fun 350w motor,

Cheers in advance,

Gareth

2. Woosh

Woosh Trade Member

we can replace the damaged spindle but did you ask Oxygen?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Nealh

Nealh Pedelecer

If it's a hub kit from Oxydrive then Oxygen won't be involved and I doubt Andrew at Oxydrive went further then just supplying complete kits or kit parts.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. That's a really tricky repair. I've done a couple, but I wouldn't want to do another unless I had to. Also, the motor cable is relatively expensive.

Motors are not too expensive and you can use any motor. It doesn't even need to be the same type. Tell us which motor you have so that we can advise a suitable replacement.

5. Woosh

Woosh Trade Member

d8veh is right. It's a fiddly repair but if the cable is damaged at the elbow, there isn't an alternative.
    The spindle is in two sections. The cable side is fairly easily accessible. You remove the cover, unscrew the bolts around the old spindle, de-solder all the wires and solder in the new spindle. If you are lucky, an hour but it can take as much as two hours to do the job. At £30 labour charge an hour, the bill can be substantial. I only have a small selection of replacement spindles for my BPM and SWX02 motors with 3, 6 and 9-pin short motor cables.

6. Gagsinio

Hi, thanks for the replies. The wheel and motor look undamaged, but the power cable is pretty mangled, have included a picture of the damage BIke Axle.jpg

7. That's a cassette motor, so either SWX02C or CST. You need to tell us which and what size wheel it is. it might be easier or cheaper to replace the whole motor wheel.

8. Gagsinio

Hi Dave, its a CST 8 Fun in a 26" wheel, Battery is 36v 13ah with Samsung cells. I just had it laced into a decent rim, hence wanting to try and save it. But if it would be cheaper to replace, could you suggest some alternatives, maybe up to 500w please?

9. The Q128c is very good. You can get them in a wheel from BMSBattery.com. The 201 rpm one is about the same speed as what you have, so should be a good match.

The problem with the motor you have is that there are several versions that are internally different otherwise you could buy just the motor and swap the core, which would have been dead easy and the lowest cost.

This one is the complete kit, but probably the same cost or cheaper than just a motor-wheel from China.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36V350W-...746085&hash=item33bf69fcc6:g:C3IAAOSwdTJaXvku

10. Charliefox

Charliefox Finding my (electric) wheels

Surprised nobody asked HOW the rear wheel fell out of the dropouts! If a torque plate had been fitted, say, then it might have held the wheel in long enough. No doubt the wheel nuts will be regularly checked from now on!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice