Rear racks

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I'm considering putting a rack over my rear wheel on the Coniston. I already have a pair of panniers.

I quite like the idea of one that includes a spring loaded rat trap on top. But there's so many to choose from that I really haven't a clue.

Can anyone offer any aftermarket recommendations please?

Ta very muchly.

Gaz

PS: just checked while fiddling about and I've just passed the 2500 mile mark on it. Not bad at all for me!

D

Deleted member 4366

Can you show us a photo of your frame's rear triangle on the brake side?

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I have a Uni Topeak Super Tourist DX coupled with the Topeak MTX Trunkbag.
These have been on my last three bikes and have proven excellent. Two friends also have this set up and we have used various panniers.
We also use the rack as support for the rear mudguard instead of stays.
The Uni version is adjustable for 24 - 29 inch wheels. I have the non disk version which doesn't stick out as much as the disk version but still comes nowhere near my rotors or calipers.

Reactions: Gaz
D

Deleted member 4366

That's good, you have an inboard brake, so you can fit whatever rack you want. Look for one with the two separate tie bars at the front that fix to your upper seat-stay fixings. It looks like you have to share the lower rear fixing points with the mudguard stays, so you'll need longer 5mm screws. make sure the rack is inside the mudguard stays for strength.

When I was kid, nearly all racks had the rat trap springs on them, which were useful for holding your satchel against the seat on the daily school trip, but since then, I've never found any use for them. Bungee straps are far more versatile.

Reactions: Gaz

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
This is case where buying and fitting in LBS is better. Most shops a happy for you to do fitting on site and will have bits needed to complete job.