Recommend a bike for a cycl to work scheme (max £1000)

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
We have a cycle to work scheme at work.

Essentially we get £1k max to spend on a bike and pay the company back over a year. We also save on tax so the bike works out a little cheaper.

Anybody recommend a bike up to this value?

Edit - should have said this needs to be a road bike. I have a 30 mile round trip. I'm 5'11 and weigh about 10 stone.

Last edited:

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Electric road bike do you mean?

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Electric road bike do you mean?
Yes. I know some people buy the bike without the battery on the scheme and then pay separately for this.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Personally i have not seen one on £1000 price range. Also it is very rare to see electric road bike apart from self conversion.

Would you consider a electric hybrid bike?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
You sound reasonably fit. I wish I weighed only 10 stone.
I suggest you look at bikes with a12 or 14ah battery option.
Perhaps you may need to purchase the battery upgrade outside the scheme, checking that is ok with your company.

A second charger may be useful for charging at work.
Where are you based? Let us know and we can guide you to a good supplier.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Personally i have not seen one on £1000 price range. Also it is very rare to see electric road bike apart from self conversion.

Would you consider a electric hybrid bike?
Hybrid would be fine.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
You sound reasonably fit. I wish I weighed only 10 stone.
I suggest you look at bikes with a12 or 14ah battery option.
Perhaps you may need to purchase the battery upgrade outside the scheme, checking that is ok with your company.

A second charger may be useful for charging at work.
Where are you based? Let us know and we can guide you to a good supplier.
Not that fit. Just slim.

I'm in Yorkshire. Near York.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
We may have a retailer soon in York. For the time being have a look at our 12ah Sport hybrid. That's popular with commuters. You can get a scheme quote at our website.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Is the Scheme run by your company or do they use a outside scheme if they can purchase the Bike direct for you OK then I would recommend The Big Bear from woosh 15 ah battery £849 delivered

Dont worry about the LOW price Hatty she imports and supplies direct to end user

Just look at the Extras free Suspension seat post wide Bum seat Throttle only mode LCD display

Promax adjustable stem, Promax XC Riser handlebars, front light and horn

The Sirocco Big Bear | Electric Bikes from Woosh

Frank

Last edited:

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
We may have a retailer soon in York. For the time being have a look at our 12ah Sport hybrid. That's popular with commuters. You can get a scheme quote at our website.
Thanks. Will check this out.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Hi Is the Scheme run by your company or do they use a outside scheme if they can purchase the Bike direct for you OK then I would recommend The Big Bear from woosh 15 ah battery £849 delivered

Dont worry about the LOW price Hatty she imports and supplies direct to end user

Just look at the Extras free Suspension seat post wide Bum seat Throttle only mode LCD display

Frank
The scheme is run though this company Salary Exchange - Home

They give you a voucher to purchase the bike. This can be from an independent retailer.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009

Frank
Lot of spec for the price. Fits the requirements to the tee I'd have thought. (I have no connections with them).

Quality motor and quality battery cells which have to be key considerations as well.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Sorry this may be a problem From there terms off purchase
to get their bike through an independent partner of Halfords, the Independent Bike Shop network.

Frank

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi all,
Many thanks to anyone suggesting our bikes - much appreciated.

We work with a number of schemes including Salaryshare.
I should just point out though that because the Cycle to Work schemes are run by agencies who take a commission of around 10% of the price of the bike as their fee, we have to add this to our price since we are unable to absorb it into our standard pricing. So under CTW, the Big Bear with standard seat would cost £899 and with Suntour seat, £949.

You would still get benefits however:
firstly, the bike is sent to a local bike shop which then preps it for the road for you completely and you therefore collect it from them. Secondly, you do still get some savings and the overall price is still obviously within the £1000 limit.

Hatti, Woosh Bikes

Last edited:

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Thanks. I'm interested in the bike. Do you have any videos at all of it? Can't find anything on youtube.

Also where do you have stores? Is there any chance of me seeing/trialling the bike before purchase.

Finally the scheme allows me to go up to £1,000. I was thinking of getting dynamo powered lights. Is this something that can come within the budget?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks. I'm interested in the bike. Do you have any videos at all of it? Can't find anything on youtube.

Also where do you have stores? Is there any chance of me seeing/trialling the bike before purchase.

Finally the scheme allows me to go up to £1,000. I was thinking of getting dynamo powered lights. Is this something that can come within the budget?
Pleased to see you are now looking at something with a rack and mudguards - essential for a commuter.

Dynamo lights as an aftermarket fit are now old hat because the stand alone LED lights are so good and reasonably priced.

A lot can be charged from USB, meaning you can ride in, charge it at work, then ride home again.

I have a Lezyne, which is a good brand, but there are plenty of others.

Have a look at the usual bike sites such as Wiggle or Chain Reaction.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Hi all,
Many thanks to anyone suggesting our bikes - much appreciated.

We work with a number of schemes including Salaryshare.
I should just point out though that because the Cycle to Work schemes are run by agencies who take a commission of around 10% of the price of the bike as their fee, we have to add this to our price since we are unable to absorb it into our standard pricing. So under CTW, the Big Bear with standard seat would cost £899 and with Suntour seat, £949.

You would still get benefits however:
firstly, the bike is sent to a local bike shop which then preps it for the road for you completely and you therefore collect it from them. Secondly, you do still get some savings and the overall price is still obviously within the £1000 limit.

Hatti, Woosh Bikes
Just realised the normal price is £849. £949 represents a 11.8% increase in price not 10%.

If my maths is correct a 10% increase would be £933.90.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Pleased to see you are now looking at something with a rack and mudguards - essential for a commuter.

Dynamo lights as an aftermarket fit are now old hat because the stand alone LED lights are so good and reasonably priced.

A lot can be charged from USB, meaning you can ride in, charge it at work, then ride home again.

I have a Lezyne, which is a good brand, but there are plenty of others.

Have a look at the usual bike sites such as Wiggle or Chain Reaction.
Thanks. Will avoid the dynamo lights in that case.

Do you have a link to your bike I can check out?

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Just to let you know we all have to charge extra as they make there money from the charge

10% is standard

I have now refused to supply the Schemes I call them scams As the Government Has changed they way the SCAM works so no benefit apart from 12 months to pay

Frank

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have this for the front:

Wiggle | Lezyne Macro Drive Front LED Light | Front Lights

Good as any, but as I said there is an enormous choice.

A similar light for the rear is a bit cheaper.

A lot of commuters use more than one light at each end, but it is possible to over do it.

You could pair that Lezyne light at the front with something cheaper, giving you one for seeing by, and one to help you be seen, and a bit of back-up should one break.

Same at the rear, something decent such as a Lezyne, and maybe a cheapie to add to it.