Recommend a stepthrough with throttle?

mm1

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2012
Hi,
I have been using a pelectric step-through folder with 20" wheels but have found it too twitchy for me - and have fallen off twice!

So I am thinking of getting non-folding, step-through with a throttle (arthritic knees and hips). And not too heavy. I'm 5'2", aged 64 and not fit...

I understand that crank drive won't work for me, because of the knees, and that I should look for cadence plus throttle?

Any advice on what bike might be suitable would be much appreciated. My budget is about £1k, or less, and I don't mind if it's a good secondhand bike.

Many thanks!

Reactions: JuicyBike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ideally a rear hub pas/cadence sensored bike is best for your requirements for your price budget the forum often recommend retailers/brands from the website as the CS/feed back is often known and to be very good.

Woosh/ Kudos and Wsiper are a good starting point, used buys can be risky as the truth about battery usage, care and life is a big unknown factor and £200 -500 on a new battery or repair will blight your choice.
Throttle options are limited to 6 km/h walk assist or operable once peddling has commenced, though some can be disabled/enable via the lcd where fitted. So you would need to ask the vendor about this.
Used option link at bottom of post.

Woosh Crusa possibly.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?crusa

Kudos offers at least 4, Safari cheap but good,Miami similar to Crusa,Verona & Milano.
https://www.kudoscycles.com/index.php?intro=done

Wisper 705SE.
https://wisperbikes.com/e-bikes/705-se-step-through/

However the risk is a little less from a low use newish used bike from a retailer.
This Woosh Petite below:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?secondhand

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

mm1

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2012
Nealh and David - taa. Does the 705 have a throttle? Can't see if it does on website?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hi Neal, I'm decided to go ahead and buy this bike, if Milke still has it. Thanks again for the heads up - much appreciated?
Best
Marian
Do let us know how you get on with the bike if you buy it.

As David has said the battery will probably be as good as new still, Wisper batteries appear to be quality one and you do here of longevity with them. I believe they have a sleep mode if not used for a while, any niggles with the bike just speak to Davia @Amps who's company commission the bikes.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Nealh and David - taa. Does the 705 have a throttle? Can't see if it does on website?
Hi mm1, good decision, I really think this bike is an absolute bargain.

I emailed you yesterday but if anyone else is interested, yes all our City and Trekking bikes have twist and go throttles. Strictly speaking they are for walk along use only and will only work up to the legal maximum of 4mph.

Above 4mpg up to 15.5mph when the pedals are being turned forward the twist grip becomes an assistance regulator. This means as long as the pedals are being turned forward the twist grip will take you smoothly up to 15.5mph.

This is a far more useable and sophisticated assistance regulator than even on our high end mountain bikes! Most ebikes now have three or four levels of assistance and unlike our twist grip don't allow the rider to select exactly the amount of assistance they require.

All the best, David

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Above 4mpg up to 15.5mph when the pedals are being turned forward the twist grip becomes an assistance regulator. This means as long as the pedals are being turned forward the twist grip will take you smoothly up to 15.5mph.
we adopt the same approach on our new bikes, the Woosh Krieger for example works the same way. The throttle will pull the bike forward fast enough for you to start and may be change to the right gear but you have to pedal for about one revolution to activate the full throttle.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
When the law changed, we only activate the throttle after pedaling and removed the throttle on/off switch.
On the CD Krieger, there is an issue with customers finding themselves in the wrong gear and can't easily start on hill so we went some half way to assist them.

mm1

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2012
Hi mm1, good decision, I really think this bike is an absolute bargain.

I emailed you yesterday but if anyone else is interested, yes all our City and Trekking bikes have twist and go throttles. Strictly speaking they are for walk along use only and will only work up to the legal maximum of 4mph.

This is a far more useable and sophisticated assistance regulator than even on our high end mountain bikes! Most ebikes now have three or four levels of assistance and unlike our twist grip don't allow the rider to select exactly the amount of assistance they require.

All the best, David
Thanks David,
I messaged the seller yesterday but haven't heard back yet. I hope to be singing its praises on here soon!
(I didn't receive your message though- was it a Pm?).
All best

mm1

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2012
When the law changed, we only activate the throttle after pedaling and removed the throttle on/off switch.
On the CD Krieger, there is an issue with customers finding themselves in the wrong gear and can't easily start on hill so we went some half way to assist them.
Hi Mr Woosh, that's how I'd need to use it too.
Best wishes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Mr Woosh, that's how I'd need to use it too.
Best wishes
I am a little concerned that your height (5ft2) and dodgy knees & hips may be a problem. The 705 has a torque system.
You should test ride the bike.The 705 is an excellent buy for anyone without these issues but you may find that you need a throttle that you can just switch on, ie a twist and go, on medical ground of course.

mm1

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2012
Yes I did wonder that too...
I test rode a 705se yesterday which I believe has the same size frame as the 705T? The step through was just at the limit of my arthritic ability so decided to go for it because of the dual cadence and torque function and the throttle facility which I tried out when just starting off (on flat admittedly). I found it more stable to ride than my 20" folder, which was encouraging. The secondhand price is good for me too...

Still haven't heard back from the seller though - early days, I know - hope he is reading this!
I'm pretty attached to the idea of the 705T for all the above reasons but I guess if the old hips become stiffer I might be setting myself up for more grief. So I'd be open to other suggestions if you can recommend a similar beast? I see you have a secondhand 24" frame on website - does it have a comparable spec?

Just to say that I'm very grateful for all the input from everyone here

You should test ride the bike.The 705 is an excellent buy for anyone without these issues but you may find that you need a throttle that you can just switch on, ie a twist and go, on medical ground of course.
I am a little concerned that your height (5ft2) and dodgy knees & hips may be a problem.[/QTest

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the second hand Petite on my website is in Cumbria and you are in London. There is also one person interested in it at the moment.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I am a little concerned that your height (5ft2) and dodgy knees & hips may be a problem. The 705 has a torque system.
The Wisper T's have a LCD mode setting by default they are Torque drive but a simple display setting change, changes PAS to cadence sensor. I'm sure David will confirm this as he has done so previously.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Neal,

Just to confirm, the Wisper Torque bikes have all three options.

1. Torque sensor mode
2. Cadence (speed) sensor only mode
3. Throttle from 0 to 4 mph without pedals turning. Throttle from 4 to 15.5mph as long as the pedals are turning forward.

All the best, David

Last edited:
Reactions: Nealh