Recommend a stepthrough with throttle?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I had to find and old thread which I had seen previously.

In assist 1- 4 pas is in PAS torque mode and in assist F is in PAS cadence mode.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
3. Throttle from 0 to 4 mph without pedals turning. Throttle from 4 to 15.5mph as long as the pedals are turning forward.
that's what worries me - if her knees are painful, she won't be able to keep rotating the cranks.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
It's a problem but unfortunately it's illegal to offer a full throttle without the cranks turning.

It takes about two seconds to change our bikes to full throttle to 15.5mph, but we don't normally offer it, it turns an EPAC (Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle) into a moped...... unless of course the bike is going to be used in an area where the public does not have access.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's a problem but unfortunately it's illegal to offer a full throttle without the cranks turning.
There have been a couple of long threads about what is allowed and what not.

there are essentially two provisos:

1. the customer can have a throttle fitted. Indeed, all kits can have a full acting throttle, even twist and go, because it is put in place by the customers, not the manufacturers and the new law applies only to manufacturers and importers. The DfT confirmed the case, no customers will be prosecuted for having a throttle fitted.

2. There may be a small delay when you stop pedaling and the throttle going inactive. 10 seconds seem to be an acceptable delay. It's small, but it allows people with bad joints to rest their legs.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks for the head's up Woosh, I knew about the first rule but not the second. I will change our bikes to conform immediately.

All the best, David

mm1

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks, Mr Woosh, David and Neal.

I think I'm confused now about what torque and cadence driven do, and the effect of the throttle on top of that...

As I understand it, torque driven means that the the harder you press the pedals, the less the motor helps you; and cadence driven means that the slower the pedals rotate, the more the motor helps you to maintain a reasonable speed?

So then if I'm going up a steep hill with a lot of pressure on the pedals, the motor wont help me that much, so I need to switch to cadence which will sense that my pedals aren't rotating very fast and cause motor to kick in more?

And if I'm starting off going uphill, the throttle will get me going a bit so I can start pedalling more easily - which will get the cadence sensor to kick in with the motor?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
As I understand it, torque driven means that the the harder you press the pedals, the less the motor helps you; and cadence driven means that the slower the pedals rotate, the more the motor helps you to maintain a reasonable speed?
The 705 has both cadence sensor and torque sensor, and a throttle.
If you select the torque sensor, the harder you pedal, the more power you get from the motor.

If you ride with the cadence sensor, you can pedal as much or as little as you like, the power of the motor is then set by the assist level you selected and your cadence. This mode is less demanding on your legs.
So then if I'm going up a steep hill with a lot of pressure on the pedals, the motor wont help me that much, so I need to switch to cadence which will sense that my pedals aren't rotating very fast and cause motor to kick in more?
Yes, you are correct. The torque sensor requires hard work on hill, you will find it much easier to ride uphill using cadence sensor.
When your legs hurt, you will use the throttle.
In any case, you are covered MM1. don't worry about the details, David is going to help you sorting them out.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Woosh. That's really very kind of you.

One small point re the Torque sensor, I agree in level 1 Torque setting you would need to put some effort into riding the bike up a hill, however in level 4 of the Torque settings you need only put a little pressure on the pedals to get full power.

Level 4 Torque should also be used when starting on a hill, as you push down on either pedal the bike will instantly leap into life, it feels a little like the accelerator pedal in a car as you push down you will get more power. At about 2kg (two bags of sugar) you will be up to max power.

The Cadence sensor setting is mainly used when a rider is on a flat road and would like full power simply by turning the pedals.

All the best, David

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Cadence sensor setting is mainly used when a rider is on a flat road and would like full power simply by turning the pedals.
Keep turning the pedal is more difficult when you are not so young.
I had a long conversation yesterday with a customer who bought recently a Woosh Petite for his wife, both are in their 70s. The issue is the cadence of the Petite (which has 24 x 1.95 tyres) is 65 rpm for 15mph, legal assist speed, with 45T front, Shimano 14T-34T rear.
Although most of us don't see 65rpm is difficult, it is when you are in your 70s, so I was told.
I must say, I lost the argument so I will fit 11T-32T to the Petite in the next batch, lowering the cadence from 65RPM to 51RPM.
You learn from your customers every day.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I completely understand, being 63 next May I know the feeling! As long as the our pedals are being turned forwards, even at 20 rpm the throttle will be fully functional.

We tend to fit 52 and 13 to on our 26" bikes keep the cadence low. Much lower and hill climbing can suffer.

All the best, David