Recommend me a new front light

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My beam doesn't dazzle oncoming drivers because it is so well formed... :rolleyes: As I ride in a country with lots of very bored policemen, that, and the fact that the lights have all the right EU markings on them, make me feel safer at night.

Pedestrians are however commenting that the "daytime" running LEDs are very powerful at night. They don't go off, they dim a bit but they diffuse their light over a large area. I think that pedestrians just aren't used to seeing well lit bicycles on mixed foot/cycle paths, most bikes I cross aren't lit at all :eek:

The b+m handlebar light holder allows setting the angle on the fly, it grips firmly but not so much that you can't set the beam angle. It handles bumps much better than the battery powered light on the fork mount that is for sure!

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
i went a bit mad and bought the exposure lights i.e toro, joystick and rear light. All great quality, great cs, great guarantee and rechargeable batteries built in. They also have a technology built in to lower light when riding slower with less turns. Ive had many chinese lights / hope etc and exposure are in a different league.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: RobF and Gaz

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
i went a bit mad and bought the exposure lights i.e toro, joystick and rear light. All great quality, great cs, great guarantee and rechargeable batteries built in. They also have a technology built in to lower light when riding slower with less turns. Ive had many chinese lights / hope etc and exposure are in a different league.
Oooh stop it..... I'm still tempted by a Joystick..... Matron ;)

Gaz

• Informative
  • :D
Reactions: IR772 and LeighPing

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Well it arrived yesterday.
Can't really grumble for the price.
5000lm it most certainly ain't. Nowhere near:rolleyes:
It'll serve a purpose.

Gaz

• Agree
Reactions: IR772

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
One light, or 17 lights for around the same amount of money. No, the cheap lights won't be massive lumens. But, with 16 lights on your bars and helmet, you could look like the Battleship Galactica. :)

3131325-0256062161-Battl.jpg

Both lights did extremely well in this test, even when dropped into a bucket of water. Would I drop $300 (£245) on a single light? Only if I were a serious night rider, which I'm not.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
So I managed to charge the battery twice. Tonight it was proper piddling down on my way home and everything got wet. Including the battery, and the terracotta coloured card bits at each end. Dried it out, but now it won't charge, so I guess it's deddered:rolleyes:

Back to square one.

Gaz

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
After overnighting in a drying environment, the battery appeared to be charging, so I left it on charge.
On my way home tonight the light switched on, rear button illumination went from green to red in about 20 seconds and the light went off after about 25 seconds. Harrumph.
Fairly conclusive I'd say.
Now in a quandary as to whether to replace the battery (and waterproof it), or give in and buy one of the more recommended lights, going back to my initial idea of all-in-one, and hopefully less likely to top itself in the rain.
Hope have confirmed the new R2 type batteries have different connectors to my Vision II, so it's not as simple as replacing the battery:(
Decisions, decisions.

Gaz

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
After overnighting in a drying environment, the battery appeared to be charging, so I left it on charge.
On my way home tonight the light switched on, rear button illumination went from green to red in about 20 seconds and the light went off after about 25 seconds. Harrumph.
Fairly conclusive I'd say.
Now in a quandary as to whether to replace the battery (and waterproof it), or give in and buy one of the more recommended lights, going back to my initial idea of all-in-one, and hopefully less likely to top itself in the rain.
Hope have confirmed the new R2 type batteries have different connectors to my Vision II, so it's not as simple as replacing the battery:(
Decisions, decisions.

Gaz
Good example of the low voltage warning showing red.

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I've just treated myself to a Moon Meteor-X Auto Pro:

http://www.moon-sport.com/product-detail.php?id=210

Things I like about it.
  • Very compact
  • Rechargeable
  • Battery lasts ages, even on high power mode
  • Mount stays on bike, so just clip light on when needed
  • Light doesn't shift around on rough terrain
  • Mount swivels left/right, for handlebars that are curved
  • Last setting memory, so no need to toggle through the modes every time it's switched on
  • Side lighting, so you can be seen by vehicles from the side
  • Waterproof
  • Good value for money, I paid £30
Best 30 quid I've spent in a while, although you might want to go for a more powerful model. The 560 lumen model looks good:

http://www.moon-sport.com/product-detail.php?id=141

Reactions: Gaz

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Reactions: Fordulike