Recommendations for a suitable ebike

TimEbike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2018
So, I've cycled most of my life, commuted for many years along with cycling for leisure and pleasure and now approaching 60 years I'm suffering ongoing knee problems.

Following an accident over 10 years ago my left knee/femur were rebuilt resulting in flexion limited to around 90 degrees, so I use a Highpath Engineering Swing Crank – absolutely brilliant adaption. For the last couple of years right knee is giving ever increasing trouble, and during some recent rides I've been left unable to turn the pedals effectively.
Hence, I'm thinking pedal assist to mitigate onset of knee probs during the ride and throttle control for when it gives up.

My wife and I cycle for pleasure, generally short distance around 50 miles max. We generally ride bike routes tarmac/reasonable surfaces, never MTB off-road, don't ride at race speed, we're not going to ride the TdF, Mount Ventoux stuff, though there are a few hills that we ride. Not to bothered about weight of bike, motor position..... just want something dependable, reasonable quality components with a realistic lifetime. Want something off-the-shelf and don't want to go down the conversion kit route.

So guys n galls over to you, what should I be looking at , and will having to fit the Swing Crank for a test ride likely cause any dealer issues?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I would think that you need a bike that is pas controlled rather than torque sense. A torque sense gives assistance in proportion to the weight you put on the peddle, so no good if your knees give out and you're trying to get home. Also most torque sense do not have throttles. So rules out most European mid drives. Most hub drives (front or rear) are pas, so sense cadence only no pressure required.
Woosh, Juicy, Whisper, Volt, depends where you are and what dealerships are nearby.

• Agree
Reactions: TZC and Woosh

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
So, I've cycled most of my life, commuted for many years along with cycling for leisure and pleasure and now approaching 60 years I'm suffering ongoing knee problems.

Following an accident over 10 years ago my left knee/femur were rebuilt resulting in flexion limited to around 90 degrees, so I use a Highpath Engineering Swing Crank – absolutely brilliant adaption. For the last couple of years right knee is giving ever increasing trouble, and during some recent rides I've been left unable to turn the pedals effectively.
Hence, I'm thinking pedal assist to mitigate onset of knee probs during the ride and throttle control for when it gives up.

My wife and I cycle for pleasure, generally short distance around 50 miles max. We generally ride bike routes tarmac/reasonable surfaces, never MTB off-road, don't ride at race speed, we're not going to ride the TdF, Mount Ventoux stuff, though there are a few hills that we ride. Not to bothered about weight of bike, motor position..... just want something dependable, reasonable quality components with a realistic lifetime. Want something off-the-shelf and don't want to go down the conversion kit route.

So guys n galls over to you, what should I be looking at , and will having to fit the Swing Crank for a test ride likely cause any dealer issues?

Thanks in advance.

Tim
We've fitted that exact same crank adapter several times and you're absolutely right - excellent design and very well made by them. Pricey though, but well worth it.
Fitting one you already have for a test ride should be no problem on any bike and I know our retailers would be only too willing (with a little explanation from yourself).
There are so many bikes out there so choose one you like the look of and go test ride!

oggie

Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2017
chester
I am amazed at some ebike prices, no, horrified!
tell you what Tim in mho you won't go far wrong visiting Halfords and trying the Carrera crossfire or crossfuse out. Well built good backup.
ok some have experienced problems, but the thing is most Halfords are within reasonable distance, if you buy an e bike elsewhere it can be a nightmare with the logistics involved.
The above bikes are quality, compared to e bikes twice the price.
Hope that helps

• Useful

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The above bikes are quality, compared to e bikes twice the price.
they are good value but better quality compared to e bikes twice the price? which ones?

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you get what you pay for a set of decent forks will cost more than half the cost of the bike in the first place.

tho it does get to a point where you are paying a premium for a hi end bike name and the parts used.

• Agree

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
With your knee cadence sensing maybe better way to go. Most factory middrives like Bosch and Shimano are torque sensing. There are few bikes that allow you to switch between torque and cadence but they are rare. This would allow you start ride in torque then switch to cadence if knee starts giving trouble.

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
I would recommend Freego ebikes. Well built, TWO years warranty, an owners website with 1250 active members and factory response and customer satisfaction which cannot be beaten.

From your quoted mileage I would recommend opting for the largest battery on offer, far cheaper to start that way than change up later. They have carefully vetted dealers all over the country who must comply with their exacting standards.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Tim,

would you consider a step through bike with rear geared hub motor, cadence sensor and a full throttle?

Tony

• Informative

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
With your knee cadence sensing maybe better way to go. Most factory middrives like Bosch and Shimano are torque sensing. There are few bikes that allow you to switch between torque and cadence but they are rare. This would allow you start ride in torque then switch to cadence if knee starts giving trouble.
I think our Wisper Torque range are the only bikes available to offer a choice of switching between both torque and cadence sensors. We too have a good number of professional retailers all over the country. They would be happy to demonstrate the bikes to you and look after your bike into the future.

8858C051-882B-4DFB-91E5-67512C0B7BBF.jpeg
A cross bar version and folder are also available.

All our bikes are now available with 375Wh 575Wh and the new 700Wh batteries.

All the best, David

• Informative

TimEbike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2018
a BIG thank you to all those that have replied - some very very useful and helpful advice there :)
I've test ridden a few ebikes and completed the ultimate test where I rode 35miles on my standard bike then fitted the Swing Crank to a Bosch Active Line ebike and rode again. Wow, after 35mls the stiffening knees eased off and I rode without any problems at all, could even walk up/down the stairs at home afterwards.
Oh how the debit card suffered :D
Thanks again everybody.
Tim