Recommendations for heavy rider...

DickSpanner

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 8, 2017
Dorset
Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy a reasonably-priced e-bike (about £1000) to help me get fit. I currently weigh 125kg. I'm 6ft tall, so don't wear the weight too badly, but it's still way too high.

I also have arthritis in my hips and cycling has been recommended as a way to both exercise the joints and to lose weight, which in turn should help with the effects of the arthritis itself. I used to really enjoy cycling and I'm hoping an e-bike would help get me back on the road again.

Having searched the forum and the bike guide, the most appropriate candidates seem to be the Woosh Santana-CD and the Woosh Big Bear or Big Bear LS. Any thoughts on these please, or other suggestions?

I've only ever had bikes with a top tube and I'm a bit worried I'd break a 'low-step' bike - but the ease of getting on and off seems helpful and Woosh seem to recommend this style for heavier riders.

Another reason for looking at the Woosh models is the range. I'm looking to work up to a 30 mile journey so I can get to one of the places I work, but I don't know realistic this hope is, either physically or for the bike range considering my weight, although I'm up for the challenge.

I'd appreciate your thoughts!

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
hello DS,
30 miles a day is fairly hardcore.
Can you look after the bike yourself?

DickSpanner

Apr 8, 2017
Dorset
hello DS,
30 miles a day is fairly hardcore.
Can you look after the bike yourself?
I've not maintained an e-bike before, but I've always been okay with regular bike maintenance.

30 miles is aspirational and it wouldn't be every day. I'm just keen to fit the exercise into my usual journeys.

Reactions: LeighPing and Woosh

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Hi mate. I'm 17 stone. I took the wife to try the Woosh petite today. I.also had a go. Even though it's not rated to my weight it pulled me up a slight incline throttle only as well as my 1500 quid oxygen. In pedal assist it seems more powerful. It was solid and comfy. And the wife also loved it. I didn't have time to try the big bear but can only imagine how sturdy and powerful that must be.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Bpm hub as used by Woosh is one heck of a hub drive which you can't go wrong with, top speed of 19.8mph approx and a 14/15 mph hill climber. Although I don't have Woosh bike I have the Bpm kit and it is those speeds I get, I did ride the Big Bear a few years ago at Redbridge and it was a potne tforce to be reckoned with for the money.

• Agree
Reactions: DickSpanner

DickSpanner

Apr 8, 2017
Dorset
Thanks Nealh. From what I've read I'm favouring the crank drive of the Santana-CD over back or front, but I really need to try them out.

I'm hoping Woosh will come back with another comment on the weights the bikes can take. It would be an expensive thing to break. :rolleyes:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
both Big Bear LS and Santana CD can take your weight but I would say Big Bear LS is better for you. More relax, just pedal, no need to change gear. The LS motor is also more robust and very well proven. The motor on the Santana CD is suitable for up to 15st.

• Agree
Reactions: DickSpanner