Red LED on BMS

Blunderbuss

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2018
Cambridge
I have just connected up the BMS on my first battery build and three of the LEDs are lit up. I can't find anything to tell me what that means, does anyone know?

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They are I believe cell group charging indicators.

Blunderbuss

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2018
Cambridge
I haven't yet connected up the charger or the output, but the cells were fully charged before i assembled them - could it be the BMS reading an imbalance (or overcharge) of those cell groups, and then doing a balancing of them.

Only the cell group 4 LED is on now.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I haven't yet connected up the charger or the output, but the cells were fully charged before i assembled them - could it be the BMS reading an imbalance (or overcharge) of those cell groups, and then doing a balancing of them.

Only the cell group 4 LED is on now.
if you have charged each cell to 4.2v then put the batt together then thats a bad idea as 1 short connecting the bms the hole lot could go bang.

imo the bms is balancing the cells and when all of will be fully charged on all the cell groups.

Blunderbuss

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2018
Cambridge
The voltage is 54.4 so hopefully it is balancing.

I have learn't a lot doing this first build :) i will see what it is doing in the morning, but may put it in a sheltered spot outside for the night!

• :D
Reactions: soundwave

Blunderbuss

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2018
Cambridge
I have checked this morning and all the LEDs are off :), but the voltage now reads 58.3!!!!!!

I can check individual cells and they are at 4.48, so the maths works out (13 x 4.48) but how have i gained 4 volts across the whole battery?

This weekend i shall get the XT60's on it and connect it up to my bike to see what happens, both for running the bike and charging back up.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Lets hope your meter is wrong:eek:otherwise you have a bunch of badly damaged cells. Not sure I would want it in my house. What cells have you used? What's the voltage reading on your charger?

Blunderbuss

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2018
Cambridge
The cells are an LG 2200MaH

I have just checked again and the voltage is now 60.9V :eek: - so i am expecting fireworks soon, but i cant detect any heat.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Have not been brave enough to build a pack yet:confused: can you test the volts on each string If you get higher volts of one or is it the the bms

Blunderbuss

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2018
Cambridge
Yes, you can use the soldered connections from the battery to the BMS to check the voltage between any of the packs - and they all read to within 0.02V of each other. I was thinking he same thing, hoping one of the group of cells would be way over!

It is possible that the BMS is faulty, i have one of an old battery (the same 13s) so i can give that a try.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Sorry if I sounded alarmist, but PLEASE put that pack somewhere out of harms way. I would not attempt to try disconnecting anything. If it doesn't fire bomb in the next 24 hours, then maybe take a look again.