Redbridge....some further thoughts...

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Dave did a sterling job arranging the test day at what must be the best cycle test venue in Europe and I reiterate the thanks to him and his team for organising it.

However, thinking of possible ways to improve on it, especially to get more potential ebike buyers there, would it be possible to combine it with something else to appeal to a wider market and get a lot more footfall ?

Also, would it be possible to rent the facility for the whole day, or is that cost prohibitive ?
It just seemed like a short time to be there, a case of...... so many bikes and so little time.......

Maybe have other stands there selling cycle accessories as well, maybe some stands with eco/green credentials ?

Or maybe combined with a craft show or antique/collectables or, I dont know....tools/other hobbies .... or would that not be allowed there ?

Also a serious talk with them about overnighting in the carpark......party time !! LOL

Im just really thinking out loud and it could be that none of this is permissable but what do others think, any other ideas ?

Either way, it was a great day out and good to put faces to names.

In my over excitement (!) I totally forgot to take any photos for our Cyclecharge site so if anyone has a pic of our stall ......pleeeeease send it to me before Paul sacks me :eek:

Lynda :)

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Attending as a visitor my comment would be great venue but the area lacks footfall. From experience there does not appear to be a venue which has a great test area and footfall, correct me if i am wrong? Therefore you either choose a venue with a good test venue and encourage people to attend, this takes significant time marketing an event both in time and money. Alternatively you have a venue where the test area is not so good but there is good footfalll so you do not need to invest as much time/money in marketing the event. I would say the first option is ideal for the already converted but to encourage new people the latter is better. We attend several events each year localy to promote electric bikes the aim being to sell bikes and dispel myths e.g. that electric bikes are not aethetically pleasing.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I suppose Dave does both with doing his local shows too, but its true that for the already converted Redbridge is more than perfect but for educating the general public a county show is way more successful because of the greatly increased footfall generally bringing e-bikes to a percentage of new converts.

I just wondered whether the two could be combined at Redbridge with extra attractions bringing e-bike virgins into the fold, whilst letting the rest of us enjoy the great test facilities ......

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Lynda more than possible to encourage non electric bike people to attend but would require a lot more marketing as most probably do not look on this forum. We get some newbies but I would say that is the minority. We find linking into existing events works well to raise profile of electric bikes but often the testing areas are not excellent. DW

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
I wonder if showing at a National Trust site would be worth while, If you could get NT interested, I remember 1 site near Manchester a Mill, where the access was a steep hill to and from the car park to the mill( Just the right test area) they use an electric golf buggy to move people to and fro but I think a few younge ones might won't to try an E-bike?

Bob;)

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
It'll be interesting to see how the Eden event turns out next weekend: They certainly have the visitor numbers, although more so in the height of the season.

It's very unlikely that more than a dozen or so forum members will attend - And most of them will be on the stands :) but it should enable us to sell the concept of ebikes to the kind of people likely to appreciate their advantages:

It's hilly down here

Eden attracts Greenies & 3rd-age wrinklies, like me

there should be a drop of disposable income floating about.

C

Cyclezee

As you say Jack, we are not expecting many forum members and expect a lot of non cyclists, so I guess we will spend a lot of time trying to spread the word to those who have never seen an electric bike before.

I hope we will be able to get 'bums on saddles' so that as many as possible will experience be able to experience the grin :D factor.

Please say hello if you are going to be there;)

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
I wonder if showing at a National Trust site would be worth while, If you could get NT interested, I remember 1 site near Manchester a Mill, where the access was a steep hill to and from the car park to the mill( Just the right test area) they use an electric golf buggy to move people to and fro but I think a few younge ones might won't to try an E-bike?

Bob;)
Styal Mill, in Cheshire, not far from Manchester Airport?
Tom.
Great cakes in the coffee shop ...

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Styal Mill, in Cheshire, not far from Manchester Airport?
Tom.
Great cakes in the coffee shop ...

Bob;)
Given how busy that little road is I'd say you have no chance of getting permission to ride bikes up and down there.

Hackney Andy

Pedelecer
May 11, 2011
How about the new cycling centre in the Olympic park? There will be a road circuit and it's far more accessible than Redbridge. (Cycling there from Hackney was awful!).

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
+1 for Olympic site. Westfield shopping centre is nearby too, and it's on top of a major transport hub.
Seems like a natural, tho I've never seen the new cycle track, has someone got a pic?
Cheers, Mike

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Well think it will be difficult to increase footfall to an e-bike show in Britain, I would say most e-bikers have come from being cyclist in the first instance , cycling has a low profile in the U.K. the majority being sportive bikers.

The way to go will be to try and arrange something with the Cyclist Touring Club, they are very media savvy, but the knock back would be the membership of the CTC, they would likely take the view that e- biking is not real cycling,plus the fact most leisure cyclist are just that, hardly any members ride for utility reasons, I was once a member of the CTC ,and that was my view then!

I am converted now , hail the ever blowing e-wind!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
The idea behind me suggesting incorporating a bike expo with , say, a craft fair, is two fold, you can tempt the other half to attend for the bit that interests them (apparently some people prefer to only go out for the day as a couple ) and that gives the cycling partner more time to test bikes without being hurried.
The other advantage is, of course, attracting people solely to the 'craft' part who then get tempted to try the bikes......

As for the Olympic site, well, if thats near a good shopping centre and transport links.....could be job done.....no need to bother then with anything other than the bikes...... :cool:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
And... Of course, the olympic site being bought & paid for now, they wouldn't charge much for a day's hire..... Would they?:rolleyes:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I hope we will be able to get 'bums on saddles' so that as many as possible will experience be able to experience the grin :D factor.

Please say hello if you are going to be there;)
I'll be there, all right - wearing 2 'ats:

I'll be an Eden Volunteer for the duration & giving Kudos Dave a hand, as he's short-staffed; his crew being occupied with another roadshow.

If it gets quiet during the last 3 days, which I suspect it will, maybe we can sneak orf from time to time & run a hillclimb up one of Eden's access roads :cool:

But I never said that!

D

Deleted member 4366

THe show will grow on its own. It just takes time. I can remember when the Kent Custom motorbike show was just a few bikes in a field, then it suddenly started growing as word spread around year by year. Now the Hells Angels make millions from it and the other regional derivatives. If Kudos play their cards right, they could make more from the show than selling their bikes in 10 years time.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If Kudos play their cards right, they could make more from the show than selling their bikes in 10 years time.
Swapping places with Wisper! The Wisper principals ran a publicity related company originally, before selling it and gettng into e-bikes long ago.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Mind you, wearing my selfish hat now, I would rather just keep it at Redbridge for the excellent facilities and if it never gets awash with visitors thats all the more scope for us true fans to test more bikes and have fun ;)

Sorry traders, but I think its better for us cyclists, without things to sell, to keep it just as busy as it is and the only real improvements I would like are....make it a full day......allow us to camp overnight.....and maybe add some GOOD and unusual accessory stands to fulfill my need to shop no matter what........

What a perfect weekend.........:cool: