Reliable crimper?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Hello

In the attempt to reach reliability and simplicity of update, i'd to change all my connector to crimping instead of soldering.

I've changed to powerpole 45A and I'd like as well have something for butt connectors and others.

I have this now:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gyqu0xzlww43qa0/IMG_20180524_225245.jpg?dl=0

What tool would do reliable crimper for the connector on the picture? The last one I bought on Amazon created loose connector which was of no use.

Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: mountainsport

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
In my experience those butt connectors are a bit hit and miss. You have to be sure that the cable is fully inserted to the centre stop and that you use the corresponding colour coded part of the tool to match the crimp. Even then I often crimp each side twice, this can sometimes result in broken insulation sleevem so you have to start again. After crimping give the cable a good tug to checks it's secure. I'd also use some heatshrink (the type with glue in it) or self amalgamating tape to help resist physical strain.
After all that I'm not sure you get a connection with any less resistance than a good soldered joint.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
In my experience those butt connectors are a bit hit and miss. You have to be sure that the cable is fully inserted to the centre stop and that you use the corresponding colour coded part of the tool to match the crimp. Even then I often crimp each side twice, this can sometimes result in broken insulation sleevem so you have to start again. After crimping give the cable a good tug to checks it's secure. I'd also use some heatshrink (the type with glue in it) or self amalgamating tape to help resist physical strain.
After all that I'm not sure you get a connection with any less resistance than a good soldered joint.
Don't they crimp all for planes? How do they have good join and not us?

D

Deleted member 22539

Don't they crimp all for planes? How do they have good join and not us?
You can get connectors that self solder and self seal with a heat gun
Do they use them

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
You can get connectors that self solder and self seal with a heat gun
Do they use them
That's what I currently use. But they are only good enough for small wire. On bigger wires the solder doesn't spread evenly and create loose connections. also, with the heat the glue sometimes expand too much and go out from the heat shrink. I m not that happy for these

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
  • :D
Reactions: anotherkiwi