Replacement battery - cost?

Speedy Gonzalez

Just Joined
Oct 9, 2017
Essex
Hello,

I am about to buy an electric folding bike (it’s been narrowed down to either a Wisper or a Volt) but the thing that is bothering me is the longevity/reliability of the battery.

Several reviews have commented on poor battery life in general for most e-bikes, so something that will help me choose is to know roughly the cost of replacing the battery for either model.

Any ideas?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If batteries are cared for and used on a regular basis they will last 3 - 5 yrs as a general rule but over that period capacity and range will diminish, it's hard to say by how much but a figure of 5-10% per year won't be far out.
Batteries like to be used and failure is usually when they are left for very long periods without use sitting at either full or very low SOC.
The Wisper's are highly regarded they will be able to tell you the battery price.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Neal,

Hi Speedy, Neal is absolutely correct. As long as batteries are properly cared or a low capacity battery (375Wh) will last for three to four years and a high capacity (575Wh) for four to six years, as a rule of thumb. Yesterday we sold two replacements to people with seven and eight year old units, so they can last a lot longer. They will gradually lose capacity over their lifetime.

All the best, David

Reactions: Speedy Gonzalez

Speedy Gonzalez

Just Joined
Oct 9, 2017
Essex
Thank you for your quick replies and very useful info.

However, I still don’t know the cost of a replacement battery. One might cost £300, but the other one £800.

If it’s the same battery on each bike, then I suppose it’s down to design features and ride comfort....but if one has a superior battery (and I have no idea about bike batteries brands) then it does make a difference to the customer.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Speedy, we have two batteries, 375Wh at £299 and 575Wh at £499 as a rule of thumb the larger the battery, the longer the range and the longer the bike will run on optimal power. Both fit into all our bikes.

A Wh (Watt hour) can be considered a measure of battery capacity a little like a fuel tank. In really basic terms, the larger the number of Wh in a battery, the further a bike will travel.

Batteries get more and more expensive as the cells become more efficient and the power to weight and volume ratios (Energy Density) improve. Next year we will be offering a 700Wh battery as standard but that, pro-rata, will be more expensive than the current 575Wh battery.

All the best, David

Last edited:

Speedy Gonzalez

Just Joined
Oct 9, 2017
Essex
Ooh David, 700Wh battery as standard ....will that be on your 806 Torque folding electric bike also? If so, that is a very appealing game changer.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Our Wisper 705 is seven years old and the battery is still good for 20+ miles.

Gaz

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Hello,

I am about to buy an electric folding bike (it’s been narrowed down to either a Wisper or a Volt) but the thing that is bothering me is the longevity/reliability of the battery.

Several reviews have commented on poor battery life in general for most e-bikes, so something that will help me choose is to know roughly the cost of replacing the battery for either model.

Any ideas?
This also concerned me. What I have done is made a "battery fund" tin, so every time I charge the battery I put £1 in it. If the manufacturers battery life/charge totals are anywhere near accurate then there will be more than enough in the pot when the time for replacement arrives.

friendly1uk

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2013
The latest wave of built for purpose bikes, are putting the battery weight in the downtube, where it's low and well centered for balance and agility. It's worth knowing if the pack can be taken apart with a screwdriver at the end of it's life, so you can employ someone to fit new cells. Most packs are some sort of plastic clam shell design with fastenings that allow it to be opened. Where you find 18650 cells. If it's glued shut, and the market moves on with a different design, your buggered.
I have seen sellers that offer future rebuilds for their customers, with whatever cells are best at that time. Should the battery go out of production, such a service could be a real save