Replacing a Bosch motor

grazie

Pedelecer
May 21, 2016
nr Canterbury, UK
I've seen a used bike I like, but its got a 350W motor. Would I be able to get a dealer to replace it with a 250W one? If so, would other components need to be swapped out too, would I be able to keep the 350W motor and any ideas on cost?

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Don't tell anyone it is 350W and just use it...

• Agree
Reactions: The Strong Goat

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No, if you're involved in any accident with a non legal eBike, they throw the book at you...in the UK at least.
AFAWK this has never been tested or proven.
I know of an incident last year where someone on an s-pedelec was knocked off their bike and the Insurance company paid out compensation, car driver admitted liability and the claim went through without a hitch.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
From what I've read over the years the motors are identical, it's the programming that is different, although again I read this isn't something a dealer could alter. As Gubbins says ask some Bosch dealers, or perhaps someone will do you a swap.

• Informative
Reactions: grazie

grazie

Pedelecer
May 21, 2016
nr Canterbury, UK
AFAWK this has never been tested or proven.
I know of an incident last year where someone on an s-pedelec was knocked off their bike and the Insurance company paid out compensation, car driver admitted liability and the claim went through without a hitch.
I should have added "could" to my statement above. I couldn't find details of the incident referred to below, but I suspect it's the type of thing the boys in blue would love to crack down on.

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/blog/post/how-to-de-restrict-a-bosch-electric-bike/

I was hit from the rear by a car nearly 3 months ago while on a trike without a motor. The car driver was to blame and it was also a hit & run (illegal). AFAIK, the car owner hasn't responded to police requests (also illegal), so a driver has yet to be established. The process has been difficult enough so far without any complications. I personally wouldn't be prepared to take the risk with an illegal eBike.

From what I've read over the years the motors are identical, it's the programming that is different, although again I read this isn't something a dealer could alter. As Gubbins says ask some Bosch dealers, or perhaps someone will do you a swap.
If Bosch 250W and 350W motors are the same hardware with different configs, then there would be no point in swapping any hardware. I've already been told that the bike I'm interested can easily be restricted to 25Kph and if that's all that's needed to make it legal, I wouldn't have anything to worry about?

Last edited:

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
From what I've read over the years the motors are identical, it's the programming that is different,
I have read exactly the same thing, I will have a look around the net to see if I can find any links that say this. I cant remember where I have read it so might not be able to find anything.

Reactions: Artstu and grazie

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I personally wouldn't be prepared to take the risk with an illegal eBike.
I'm exactly the same although I realise the chance of getting caught are tiny, I still would not feel totally relaxed when out on an illegal bike and consequently would not really enjoy it.

grazie

Pedelecer
May 21, 2016
nr Canterbury, UK
Easy. Just ring a dealer and ask..
I asked a dealer near to the bike location whether they'd check it over for a fee before I bought it. This answer I received was "No!". They wouldn't do anything with an eBike that wasn't bought from them. I'm not saying all dealers are like this, but it didn't inspire much confidence.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
All the evidence I have suggests the only difference between the motors is the configuration.

I've ridden a Bosch Spreed Pedelec and the ride is identical to a de-restricted Bosch bike I had - there's no extra grunt, it just carries on assisting above 15.5mph.

And, of course, the motors are identical to look at, unlike the higher power Bafang kit motors which are larger.

Bosch are notoriously secret squirrel about their motors, so i doubt you will get official confirmation.

• Informative
Reactions: grazie

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Is there a label on it saying 350w? If not plead ignorance or say it is 250w. Take a lot of time & effort to prove otherwise. IMHO.

grazie

Pedelecer
May 21, 2016
nr Canterbury, UK
So we can conclude that buying the later 250W CX variant that's been de-restricted has more oomph (a highly technical term) than the older variants with a 350W motor. Crazy! :D

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
So we can conclude that buying the later 250W CX variant that's been de-restricted has more oomph (a highly technical term) than the older variants with a 350W motor. Crazy! :D
Is it?? How many 2 litre petrol cars have more oomph than 3 litre petrels of say 15 years ago. ......progression

grazie

Pedelecer
May 21, 2016
nr Canterbury, UK
Apparently a red or grey badge is the distinguishing factor.

Is there a label on it saying 350w? If not plead ignorance or say it is 250w. Take a lot of time & effort to prove otherwise. IMHO.
If someone was killed or even seriously injured in a accident (almost certainly the cyclist), they'd be more than willing to take the time & effort to prove it.

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
If you are that concerned about the legality and possible consequences, then you are best off looking at 250 watt bikes that are restricted to the legal speed limit.

grazie

Pedelecer
May 21, 2016
nr Canterbury, UK
There are very few choices in the type of eBike I'd like. These would include the Orbea Gain (unobtainium), Giant Road E+ (I don't like), something I can't remember the name of (I don't like), Haibike Xduro (pricey) and Wisper Wolverine (v.pricey). A shame about the latter as I'd really like to be in a financial position to buy one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

grazie

Pedelecer
May 21, 2016
nr Canterbury, UK
If you are that concerned about the legality and possible consequences, then you are best off looking at 250 watt bikes that are restricted to the legal speed limit.
Exactly!, hence my initial query. However, others have been very helpful in providing information about what the situation is, which I didn't already know.