Replacing a motorbike for my commute

Lancey

Just Joined
Oct 24, 2017
London
I commute 15 miles each way into Central London from near Epsom. I usually do it by motorcycle, and very occasionally by bicycle. I prefer pedal power, because it's a cheaper and nicer journey, but I just don't have the energy to do it every day. I don't mind the morning ride so much but getting home is exhausting.

So, I'm thinking about a pedelec that will give me a bit of help on the hills in the morning and still have juice to give me a lot more help on the ride home. Budget would be about £1k (is this reasonable?), and I'm happy to buy used if it gets me a better deal.

If it helps, it would be possible for me to charge a removable battery at the office during the working day.

Related question: My current bike is a sporty style road bike (nothing fancy, just a Carrera Tdf from Halfords) - would a more traditional sit-up-and-beg style bike be any more comfortable for an aging chap such as myself to ride for a couple of hours every day?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
700c road type e bikes have flat bars so slightly more upright, have a look at the Woosh Karoo, Kudos Stealth & Kudos Alamo. For comfort though you may have to consider retrofitting susp forks, even basic Suntour's will make a heck of a difference and some Ergo gp bar grips. For the rear a susp seat tube from Suntour (SP12).

I built up a Boardman cx/mx combo from scratch and added a kit, I can comfortably do 70 miles on it, 90 being my longest to date so several hrs in the seat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lancey

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
would a more traditional sit-up-and-beg style bike be any more comfortable for an aging chap such as myself to ride for a couple of hours every day?
In a word, yes. Get yourself a 'Bikehut' basic suspension seatpost, around 12 quid from halfrauds. Use a nice comfy gel saddle too. Get an mp3 player for your handlebars. Listen to some music on your commute, whilst it inoffensively alerts pedestrians of your presence. Enjoy the ride more. :)

D

Deleted member 4366

I commuted 30 miles a day for a few years on an electric bike. At first, I had to put in a bit of an an effort to do it with the 36v 8Ah battery, but after a few months, my legs begame stronger and I could easily do it without trying.

Also, by the end of each leg, my bum was quite sore, so the bumps hurt. I solved it with a full-suspension bike, though a Sountour NCX suspension seatpost would be enough.

Now that I'm fitter and lighter and my bum is as hard as me, I'd choose a hybrid-type bike because theyre more efficient at speed. Light-weight is a very significant characteristic if you want to pedal, unless you go for a high power motor and big battery.

Another thing to think about is security. Bicycles are a lot easier to nick than motorbikes. Locks that are secure enough are very heavy.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
I've never felt comfortable with the typical head down road bike position, hurts my neck, but you could change the bars, I ended up with these on one bike, which made it much more comfortable

http://www.forgecustomcycles.com/choose-your-custom-bike-components/product/344-drag-bars/category_pathway-263.html

Using your current bike, you could get a kit, get higher bars and get mudguards etc. for under £600.

Something like the Kudos Stealth at £995 should fit the bill though (not a recommendation as I haven't tired it)

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
I commute 15 miles each way into Central London from near Epsom. I usually do it by motorcycle, and very occasionally by bicycle. I prefer pedal power, because it's a cheaper and nicer journey, but I just don't have the energy to do it every day. I don't mind the morning ride so much but getting home is exhausting.

So, I'm thinking about a pedelec that will give me a bit of help on the hills in the morning and still have juice to give me a lot more help on the ride home. Budget would be about £1k (is this reasonable?), and I'm happy to buy used if it gets me a better deal.

If it helps, it would be possible for me to charge a removable battery at the office during the working day.
After years of pondering I've just taken the plunge and done what you're contemplating, and I wish I'd done it a lot earlier. There are folks on here that will know a lot more than me, so the only comment I shall make is, buy the bike that properly suits you, then (in theory) you only buy once. Does ride to work scheme apply etc etc ? I've just ridden home fifteen miles into a strong headwind, and then a steep four mile climb, and not a drop of sweat. Good luck.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I seem to remember a few years back,an electric bike was not considered to be a cheaper option than running a motorbike, especially with a 30 mile a day commute,and was done more for exercise or enjoyment than any cost saving,also some bikes have not been the most reliable,it could be a long hard journey if the motor stops assisting,have you considered adding a kit to your own bike,cheaper generally more reliable and you could get a better battery.