Researching trike conversion (closed )

Headshok

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2018
Swindon
Well its not actually a trike but a quad - but it has a normal Trike style rear end

I am using to pull a trailer bike and I want to motorize it for slow running/ heaving load.
wheels are 24"

I thought I could just get 2 electric wheels on the back but with this hub Type I am not sure

What would you suggest on a tight budget

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I think the easy option would be a crank drive motor, but it would hang quite low due to frame design and also cost more than a hub motor. As far as I know you cannot get a hub motor to mount on those hubs. Alternatively, you could look at mounting a single hub motor (with no rim) on the rear of the frame, but this would require some head scratching and fabrication. Not an ideal first project, but that depends on your ability. Interesting project none the less.

D

Deleted member 4366

An alternative to a crank-drive is to install a second set of 135mm drop-outs between the crank and the axle. Fit a rear hub-motor there with the derailleur and cassette, then bolt a sprocket to the motor's disc fixing and run a short chain to a single sprocket on the axle. You can adjust overall torque and speed with the final gear ratios.

You can also mount a chain-drive motor between the crank and the axle.

Headshok

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2018
Swindon
thanks D8

I was thinking about a chain drive motor - like those used on rickshaws- but the hub idea might work also

I will measure those forward facing slots - any idea what they are intended for.

Anyway can you you guys point in the direction of a retailer that can supply a chain drive motor and Controller I was thinking 48 Volts with 20amp controller and using 4 leisure batteries.

D

Deleted member 4366

Cyclone.tw or Elclipse bikes stock a lot of their stuff in the UK.