Resurrecting Old e-Bike - Parts Compatability Q...

MostlyHarmless

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 8, 2018
Hi all, apologies for random question - but I'm trying to ressurect an old bike (Woosh Karoo) as a backup commuter. The motor & battery are fine, the controller (integrated into the battery mounting plate) isn't and the display has gone missing. 90% sure the pedal sensor is OK (and I have a spare anyway). I also have - for long and boring reasons - another controller and display. But... although the controller will connect to the motor and the pedal sensor, the connector to the 1T4 cable is different (and I know there are variations). So the question is can I get all this going with just a new cable? I'm thinking it's worth the trouble if it's just a case of a new cable (and some soldering if necessary - I can do that) but otherwise if I have to get a new controller & display then it's not.

The motor is labelled 8Fun which I understand is Bafang - the person who gave me the controller/display told me it was sold to them as for Bafang (but I understand there may be compatibility issues re mid-drive and rear hub? Mine's rear hub.)

Have attached some pictures - of the controller, the controller's 1T4 connector, the existing 1T4 connector (the one with the notch), the connectors at the end of current 1T4 cable (2 red, yellow and green female), and the one on the display I have (single green female - which came with the controller so assume those at least are compatible?). Am aware that the brake handle connectors are likely to be different too - if the 3-pin ones will work disconnected - I'm not sure - I can live with that at least to start (or I can replace/solder things). No idea about the throttle but can definitely live without that.

Thanks in advance:)
Neal

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You will have to have a look on AliExpress for one of the sellers who deal with Bafang products to get the correct 1t4 cable , Bafang use Higo connectors (similar to Julet but no compatible in wire sequence). One simply has to make sure the item is under the Bafang parts section .
Indeed WZKD is a Bafang controller.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi all, apologies for random question - but I'm trying to ressurect an old bike (Woosh Karoo) as a backup commuter. The motor & battery are fine, the controller (integrated into the battery mounting plate) isn't and the display has gone missing. 90% sure the pedal sensor is OK (and I have a spare anyway). I also have - for long and boring reasons - another controller and display. But... although the controller will connect to the motor and the pedal sensor, the connector to the 1T4 cable is different (and I know there are variations). So the question is can I get all this going with just a new cable? I'm thinking it's worth the trouble if it's just a case of a new cable (and some soldering if necessary - I can do that) but otherwise if I have to get a new controller & display then it's not.

The motor is labelled 8Fun which I understand is Bafang - the person who gave me the controller/display told me it was sold to them as for Bafang (but I understand there may be compatibility issues re mid-drive and rear hub? Mine's rear hub.)

Have attached some pictures - of the controller, the controller's 1T4 connector, the existing 1T4 connector (the one with the notch), the connectors at the end of current 1T4 cable (2 red, yellow and green female), and the one on the display I have (single green female - which came with the controller so assume those at least are compatible?). Am aware that the brake handle connectors are likely to be different too - if the 3-pin ones will work disconnected - I'm not sure - I can live with that at least to start (or I can replace/solder things). No idea about the throttle but can definitely live without that.

Thanks in advance:)
Neal
There are only two types of hub-motors: sensored with hall sensors; and sensorless without hall sensors. Therefore, there are two types of controllers. Within those two groups, all controllers are compatible with the motors. You choose whichever one has the features you want. All you have to do is connect the wires in the correct sequence. That's dead easy when you have the block type connectors with separate wires, but those moulded connectors are always a nightmare because they can look the same but be wired differently and they can have internal connectivity issues or get corrosion in the connectors, especially the one to the LCD.

If it were my bike, I'd remove the original controller and get a KT one plus KT LCD with block connectors and stick it in a toolbag under the seat. That would give you a much better ride than either of the crapy controllers you have.

MostlyHarmless

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 8, 2018
Dear both, thanks:) - I'm going to do some careful checking with some test leads. Appreciate the suggestion to replace the controller - but this is only really for times my other bike is out of action *and* it's too windy to make taking my old tourer just too grim (it's 18Km home almost all straight into the prevailing wind).
Thanks again,
Neal

Advertisers