Review of my Bionx PL-350

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hello All

I thought you might be interested in how I am finding my Bionx after about 500 miles - some of you may have seen this at http://www.visforvoltage.com/

Bike
Trek 7300 hybrid c1999
700c wheels with 28mm Continental Ultra Gatorskins (slicks that actually measure 25mm)
13/28 freewheel
22/32/42 chainset (will change to 50 probably)
Thudbuster LT suspension seatpost - (together with the narrow tyres this makes for a faster, smoother ride than fat tyres)
Dinotte li-ion lights: x2 5W bar and helmet, x1 rear on seat post
Modified crank to allow full extension as normal, but top of pedal stroke equates to less than 90 degrees as I have limited knee flexion.
One leg is much stronger than average, one much weaker - even more so as I am recovering from surgery.
Lights - in case anyone's interested I have two 5W li-ion Dinottes (one on the bars, one on my helmet) and a rear one and am very pleased with them.

Kit
Bionx 350w with 36v lithium ion battery; pedal assist and thumb throttle; 8 speed freewheel - all from NyceWheels.

Main route is as per the profile - 6 mile each way commute to work. Longest hill is very slightly over 1/2 mile with a fairly constant 10% gradient.

Reason for getting kit

Exercise for my leg, both for flexion and muscle strength; general exercise; cheaper commute to work (I get paid to cycle!) and I wanted to 'fit it and forget it'.

I tried an Ezee Torq but decided against it as I already had a good quality bike and wanted to add a kit to that that I could put on another bike, possibly a recumbent, if I wanted to. The Ezee Torq, however, was enough to show that an electric bike was the way for me to go.

After much research online I opted for the Bionx kit:
light, to keep the feel of my bike appeared well reviewed but hard to find users' opinions
looked like a good package - I wanted something that would fit easily and require as little maintenance as possible.

Finding a dealer (live in UK)
I contacted Bionx who put recommended NyceWheels and I also found Juergen. Both Bert and Juergen were very helpful but in the end NyceWheels got the stock in and they were able to supply, together with an 8 speed freewheel to replace the cassette mechanism that won't work with the Bionx. I would recommend them both.

Buying process - went without a hitch. I wired the money to NyceWeels and they sent the kit, sans problems.

Fitting the kit
A keen time-trialling friend helped and we fitted the kit with no problems at all and were both impressed at how easily and how well everything slotted together - obviously well thought out. The only very slight thing that doesn't tie in with all this is the charging socket on the battery with is open to the elements, so I have made a little plastic cap that fits over it to keep out rain and dirt.

Battery
Charges in less than 4 hours after which the charger turns itself off. One word re the charger - be sure to set the voltage to the correct amount on the little recessed switch (110v/250v). The mounting mechanism on the downtube is great.

Once fitted, the only way to remove the battery is with a key - I dare say the lock can be picked but you can only do so much to avoid theft.

Console
It fits on a cycle computer type mount and then a screw goes into a hole in the bottom 'locking' it, so to remove it would require tools - again handy for theft prevention.

Motor
The wheel is not quick release, if anything this may be better as again it discourages theft.

On the subject of theft, the console can be locked which puts the system in maximum regeneration mode making it all but impossible to pedal away, but easy enough to push... The alarm that sounds is more of a squark and I can't see it making any difference to a theif to be honest. Still, if the console is locked, I guess if prevents the theif from actually being able to use the bike.

First ride
Easily able to keep up with my friend's pace of about 20+mph but gearing meant I could not keep up with him when he pushed on. However, up hills, I was easily able to leave him far behind although I was very impressed by his turn of speed once he'd crested the hills. Downhill, the regeneration mode worked very well at slowing speed; the way it is hooked up the (front) brake level works very well too and does wonders for the braking distance.

First 500 miles
In a month or so I have done about 500 miles, mostly in the dry but also been caught in some heavy rain - no problems in the wet.

In use - very pleased indeed. I can put in as much or as little effort as I want, and use a combination of pedal assisted and throttle assisted riding - bear in mind I have limited knee flexion and strength, all the more so because of the modified crank which restricts leverage. Most of my riding is currently at maximum pedal assistance, and I often use the throttle too. In time my leg will be stronger and I could well ease off on the assistance.

Range - because I am currently using maximum assistance nearly all the time, 20 miles is about the limit. However, from experimenting over shorter rides with lower levels of assistance, I think this could quite easily be doubled and still give you an easy ride.

Speed - I weigh about 165lb and the narrow slicks help a lot too, and the bike itself is reasonably light, which all goes to help the speed. Unassisted I can get up a half mile long 10% hill at about 14mph, but I normally pedal and can get up most hills around here in top. My top speed is limited by the gearing as I cannot spin fast enough to keep up so will change the chainset in time, probably to a 50 tooth or maybe 52 tooth ring. When you get to the speed limit the system gradually shuts down rather than simply cutting off but, even so, there's an odd sensation when it does stop as it feels like the wind has suddenly picked up! That does not seem to happen so much with the thumb throttle.

The only time I drop through the gears is to pull away, whereas before the Bionx, most hills saw me down to bottom gear - 11 on the rear cog and 22 on the front.

Generation mode - I have not done any tests to see how much this extends the riding distance but I'd guess you'd need to live in a mountainous area to get the most out of it. I do use it though as I figure every little helps, and have not had any problems with it - no vibration or overheating. The thing I like most about it is the reduction in braking distance.

General
I wondered how the Bionx would cope with the disparity in power between my strong and weak leg but it generally copes fine although sometimes it will cut the assistance when I am cruising - presumably because my effort is insufficient for the system to think I need a hand; a slight increase in pedal power sorts that out though, and I am guessing that most people might not experience it as both legs would be pedalling equally.

I have yet to try it out in rain but apart from that I have done everything on it I intend to and it works extremely well for me and has opened up a whole new world for me as although I used to be very active, my weak leg has seriously limited what I have been able to do.

In short, I think everyone should have an electric bike - but I am preaching to the converted here on that one!

Especially if you can get away from traffic, it is just so much nicer than travelling around in a car. My commutes to work are just fine and have been lovely as we enter autumn and I cycle along watching the morning sun burning off the mist. I take it easier on the way to work so I arrive without sweating buckets but push a bit harder on the way home. At weekends I have been exploring some of the country lanes around here and enjoying the quiet, the views and the wildlife.

Buying the Bionx was a bit of a risk for me as I couldn't try one out and was wary of sending all that money across the Atlantic, but NyceWheels couldn't have been more helpful and the kit itself is exactly what I wanted. Now, if only it cost 50p and a conker...

Cheers
Nick

My crank:

Most of my commute:

Yours truly.... with the crank at the top of the pedal stroke (and sans Thudbuster and Dinottes):

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi Nick and welcome!

Thanks for posting an excellent review. I've been waiting to see a BionX make it's way over here as it's long overdue. I' sure there are a few people here interested in hearing more about its hill climbing abilities!

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hi there and thanks.

I know it's early days but this is already a very useful forum - I wish I'd found it earlier!

As for the Bionx's hill climbing, I get the impression from various Americans on other forums that they have bikes with far more oomph. Certainly when I come up to a hill on my Bionx it slows down and I am not sure how it would cope with steep hills - by which I do mean I don't know, not that I think it would struggle. I live in East Anglia and there aren't really any steep hills, but I've had no trouble at all getting up the ones I've found, and certainly get up them much faster than a keen cycling friend who successfully competes at local club level.

On my route home from work, it's a steady gradient uphill for the first mile mand although it's not very steep, every cyclist I have seen goes considerably slower than I do - I get up it at about 19-21mph depending how hard I pedal, whereas most 'normal' cyclists end up at less than half that I reckon.

Bear in mind too that when I pedal, I am putting in far less effort than most people due to a weak leg - the very reason why I wanted a motor in the first place as I am OK on the flat but struggle in headwinds and up hills.

I did try a Torq and, although it was hard to tell because there weren't really any hills of note to try it on, I think it had a bit less oomph up hill than my setup. My main reason for not getting one though was that I already had a nice bike and wanted to fit a kit to that, that I could fit to another bike if needs be, as I sometimes hanker after a recumbent.

I certainly wouldn't complain if my Bionx had more torque but I've not been in a position where I actually needed more - I wanted the motor to assist my effort not replace it, and that's what it does. If you live in a hilly area though, I'd say you need to try one out locally rather than relying on my experience in the flatlands!

mithril

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2006
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
Nick - brilliant review! How did you generate the data for the journey profile? That's exactly the sort of info we could all do with when discussing and comparing range and speed.

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
That's a very useful link, thanks, and one I'd not seen before. The cranks they offer are similar to my own - but a tad more expensive! Mine was only ever meant to be a prototype but I was so pleased with it that we never made another and it's been going for a few years now. That said, now that I have the motor, I need to revise the gearing so will be getting another crank made up which will be a bit less bulky than the current one.

Cheers
Nick

adamtki

Just Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Can you run a test?

Hi Nick,

Thanks for sharing your Bionx experience. I have the PL250 system and am quite happy with it and the whole electric bike experience.

On my system, I turned off the speed limit parameter and noticed that the Bionx motor and controller simply can't assist beyond 25 mph. I usually go only about 21-23 on flats and I think the assistance gradually weakens as you approach 25. The way I determined 25 was the limit was by putting the bike on a repair stand and pushing the throttle lever. It only goes up to 25mph!

What I learned was that you need more voltage to make the motor spin faster. Since you have the 36V system, I was wondering what speed limit you would hit with the same test.

To turn off the speed limit (at least on my version), hold the on/off button and the small button below it for about 5s. Then enter 3773. You should see a "1" display. Lower it to "0" to disable the speed limit. Then hit the on/off button to exit.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Found this rather tasty rebranding of the BionX kit being sold over in France by Matra :

urstuart16v@talktalk.net

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 1, 2006
bionx

hi nick read with interest your experience with your bionx i wonder can you remember what your postage costs where for the kit were from nice wheels,and what about customs and the dreaded vat man have you been charged,i will understand if you do not wish to answer.Just another quick one do you happen to know the cost of a replacement battery,i notice Powerscoots are advertising the 24 volt version in this country but no price is quoted on their site for the kit,but i notice you cannot get the 250 watt motor with the 36 volt battery-cheers Stuart.

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hi Adamtki

Thanks for that but I am playing cautious at the moment - cost me a bomb to import the kit and I don't want to risk warranty issues. From bits I've read, I wonder if there's more limiting the Bionx than just the speed limit setting you mentioned.

Urstuart, postage was just shy of US$300. Duty/VAT/handling came to about £150.

JV Bike - BionX Options has prices - $995 fot the li-ion 36v battery but I'd drop Bert at NyceWheels an email and see what he charges.

Let me know if you find them cheaper!

Cheers
Nick

adamtki

Just Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Hi Nick,

I consulted someone who was an expert with the physics of electric motors and he said I'm hitting that type of limitation I described.

If you're not comfortable about toggling that parameter, that's ok by me. Enjoy the new system. Thanks.

macred5

Just Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Bionx Low Speed Acceleration?

I just purchased a Bionx 350 which is rear wheel mounted on an Electra Townie (crank forward, 700c wheel) bike. It seems great except for one issue. The motor doesn't start assisting until the bike is going 5 or so mile per hour. The bike is reasonably light at 51 lbs (including the lithium battery) but there is no feeling of motor acceleration until the speed is over 10 mph. From 10 to 18 mph acceleration is great (i.e. proportional to the force I exert on the pedals).

So here is the question. I know about the controller hack to eliminate the TOP speed of motor assist. Is there a similar hack to adjust the lowest speed that triggers assistance from the motor?

I realize that the motor is not designed for high torque and that there will be a big expenditure of battery power. And, I can also see that its a bit safer to not have the motor start when the pedal is touched very lightly. But I would like to experiment with how sensitive it should be.

My guess is that the low speed motor assist threshold is either controlled by the strain gauge in the motor or it may be adjustable within the controller (like the upper speed). BTW, I can partially offset this by using the throttle control to add maximum assitance at first pedal stroke. So, I think the motor could be helping me more at low speed if the controller gave it the signal to help.

Anybody have any experience with this? Do your Bionx powered bikes have the same lag in motor assist when pedaling from a stop?

Another question: How did the genius that figured out the code for hacking the top speed know that there were hidden control features. Maybe I should punch in some other numbers to find a code that relates to starting speed?

Sorry for the outrageously long post.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hello Maced5, not a long post at all, you should see some of mine!

Just an intervention to observe that what you describe is very much a feature of direct drive hubs.

The new direct drive hub Sparta Ion is described as behaving in exactly the same way, the assistance difficult even to detect when setting off, but the power gradually developing as speed increases.

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hello Macred5

I shall check when the assistance kicks in on mine, but thought it was less than 5mph. It doesn't bother me, though perhaps if the thumb throttle allowed it to kick in from 0mph, that might be better.

I guess our bikes are set up the same but I'd say the acceleration is pretty good as soon as it kicks in.

I was going to post a separate thread today but will tack it on here - done just over 1000 miles on mine now, without any problems apart from a broken spoke. Roll on the decent weather!

Cheers
Nick

macred5

Just Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Thanks for the replies about low speed acceleration.

I just finished my second ride on the bike (Bionx 350, Lithium battery, on an Electra Townie 700c, Bike weight with battery about 52 lbs). I experimented to see how far I could go with no significant pedalling. I weigh near 250 lbs (yes, Clydesdale size). The course I rode was almost completely flat but there was 10-15 mph wind for at least half of the ride. The route I took has very few stoplights so I probably only had to accelerate from stops and slowdowns on 5 or 6 occassions. I used the throttle at full assist the whole time. This allowed me to effortlessly cruise at roughly 18-20 mph with the wind behind me and 14-16 mph when I was riding into the wind.

Amazingly the battery lasted for a total of 12 miles. And, the speed seemed pretty consistent until the last 3/4 of mile. I stopped the trial before the last bar disappeared and before the little Charge Battery indicator showed on the controller screen.

It will be interesting to periodically run this route as a benchmark for battery health.

I'm still interested in advice regarding ways to improve low speed start-up acceleration and any hidden features related to the controller. I really believe there are control features that Bionx is not letting us know about.
Thanks
Macred5

Canadian Cadence

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
Hi macred5

Mine clicks in at 4kph (2.4 mph). I was told this was a safety feature. The bike just has to be rolling slightly for the throttle to be activated.
Lift the back tire up and you will see that just the slightest movement and you can activate the motor with the throttle.
I have had my 350 for a year and was out on it yesterday for the first time since winter. I did an override of the max speed and got some interesting results that I will post later.
I have not seen any override or control for when the motor clicks in...... but with my set up it just has to be rolling and the throttle will engage.

mattster

Just Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Thanks for the review

Nick,

Thanks for the review - I've read it and re-read it as it seems to be just about the best info about the Bionx available!

I've become interested in the pedelec idea for my commute - partly for CO2, partly for fitness. I'd cycle it without the motor but 14 miles feels a bit far for me just now!

I'd be really interested in your views of the Bionx system compared with the Ezee Torq which also seems popular (and is more easily available here)? Obviously the Bionx allows you to fit it to the bike of your choice (which is attractive to me as I like my tourer), but is there anything else to report?

Also what part of East Anglia are you in, if I might ask? Would love to see your kit in action as it's a lot of cash and I'd want to make sure it was going to work for me before splashing out... I'm based just south of Cambridge - would you mind if I visited sometime if you're not too far away? Hope that's not too rude.

Hope your knee continues to improve :)

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hi mattster

Thanks for your kind words. Like you, I struggled to find much information about the Bionx before I bought it, and probably wouldn't have gone ahead and bought one, because of that, but for need to get a bike to help my leg.

I know that a lot of people here have Ezee bikes and are very pleased with them, so I don't think you can go wrong with them, and it looks like they have a sound service backup too. When I was looking to buy mine, I don't think this forum existed but I did go to 50 Cycles for a demo ride on a Torq round your way - sorry, I forget where exactly. Unfortunately, the only hill for miles around was a bridge going over a railway line but I felt the Torq lacked oomph up it. Bear in mind though, that I was not cycling at all but I think my Bionx would be better - could be wrong though.

The Torq did sell me on the idea of an electric bike, but as I already owned a nice bike, I fancied using that if I could, and the Bionx has certainly done me well.

I shall write an update when I've had it a year but so far I've done about 1700 miles in about 10 months which, due to a couple of health blips, is not quite as high as I'd anticipated. I have used the bike in the rain without problems, and the cold and, believe it or not, hot weather too - or maybe that was just a dream! The only problem that springs to mind is that I've had two spokes break at about 1000 and 1200 miles. I bought a spare set from NyceWheels in New York but am aiting for the next one to go before I get a very well respected local wheelbuilder to build me a new wheel. The holes that the spokes out from in the rim feed straight to the wheel's centre but the spokes then kink at that point in order to align with the hub, and the two spokes have both broken at the kink. The wheelbuilder has recommended a wheel with 'slanted' exit holes so that's what I'll go for in due course.

Other than that, I can't really fault it. Oh, over time, the battery gauge starts mis-reading in that it shows less than a full charge even though it is fully charged. I got onto Bert at NyceWheels who helped me diagnose the problem and correct it by simply re-calibrating the gauge - I've done that a couple of times - no biggie.

So, yes, it is a whole chunk of change but, if that doesn't put you off, I can wholeheartedly recommen both the kit and NyceWheels.

I'll send you a message off-forum about meeting up.

Cheers
Nick