Rides illegal machine - kills pedestrian & blames her........

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know what to make of this case but I hope this insensitive twat gets to spend some time with other criminals so he can ponder his actions and statements. What callous indifference he has shown towards the unfortunate victim of his disregard for the law!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40927791

Tom
His defence doesn't stand a chance, the law says a bicycle must have two qualifying brakes, and he had none.

I can't see how he can escape a prison sentence.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

If he had had brakes, would it have made a difference? Probably not, but the poor guy will take the rap for it. That's what happens if there's faults on your side too.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I am confused, did the accident occur on a footpath or on a road. If it was on a footpath the cyclist was clearly in the wrong. If the accident occurred on the road, then who had right of way., Was it a pedestrian crossing. A fixie has a very effective brake. ... The leg strength of the cyclist.
These are the topics which should concern the jury, not the post event justification.

D

Deleted member 4366

As far as I can tell, he was riding on the road. She was on her phone and stepped in front of him.

I'm not saying this is what happened, but you know how it is: They see you, then step one way, and then panic, change their minds and try and step back the other way. You already changed direction once to miss them, but when they step back, you can't get off a collision course. You didn't brake at first because they stepped one way and you steered the other. I've had that loads of times, but I'm always ready for it and able to do an emergency stop. The worse case is when there's to people and they step different ways. maybe it's the herding instinct, but one will always try and reach the other at the last moment.

What I find most annoying is that they shouldn't be there in the first place. If they only stuck to the segregated footpath, nobody would have to suffer any stress.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Unfortunately smartphones have dumbed down the average pedestrian. As cyclist or driver you just have to account for it. Right or wrong you still face court trial, easier to slow down and give them hearful as you pass.

Plus of ebike slowing down and get back up to speed is easy.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
They see you, then step one way, and then panic, change their minds and try and step back the other way. You already changed direction once to miss them, but when they step back, you can't get off a collision course. You didn't brake at first because they stepped one way and you steered the other.
Agreed, and I think we all know it can happen just like that. I for one have had countless similar experiences.

A terrible tragedy, with the very worst of outcomes.

Gaz

• Agree

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
They see you, then step one way, and then panic, change their minds and try and step back the other way. You already changed direction once to miss them, but when they step back, you can't get off a collision course.
I've had similar. Coming up behind a group of walkers. They are on the left. I slow down & aim towards the right of them. Last minute a couple turn around then one of them jumps, from safety on the left, across to the right & directly in my path. I go off track to avoid a collision & then they have the cheek to shout at me!

Not sure really why he jumped in front of me. Is it the feeling that when danger is perceived a panic sets in & they HAVE to do something, rather than taking a second to assess the situation & realise they are not in danger??

• Agree

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I've had similar. Coming up behind a group of walkers. They are on the left. I slow down & aim towards the right of them. Last minute a couple turn around then one of them jumps, from safety on the left, across to the right & directly in my path. I go off track to avoid a collision & then they have the cheek to shout at me!

Not sure really why he jumped in front of me. Is it the feeling that when danger is perceived a panic sets in & they HAVE to do something, rather than taking a second to assess the situation & realise they are not in danger??
Fight or flight response mate. Maybe you should stop wearing the stripy orange and black lycra cycling attire :p

• :D

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
At his 20 mph and the associated cadence, slow acting and not even remotely effective, compared to any good bike brake.

What matters in court is that his bike didn't have the two qualifying brakes the law requires.
.. is the law in the UK not that that would be a misdemeanor and subject to a fine, not a custodial sentence. My reading, irrespective of the tragic outcome , is that she was on the road without due care and attention. The law usually is that you try the offense, in accordance with the tariff of penalties.
If her family were to seek damages in a civil action, then the facts of illegal bike and jaywalking would be argued .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
.. is the law in the UK not that that would be a misdemeanor and subject to a fine, not a custodial sentence. My reading, irrespective of the tragic outcome , is that she was on the road without due care and attention. The law usually is that you try the offense, in accordance with the tariff of penalties.
If her family were to seek damages in a civil action, then the facts of illegal bike and jaywalking would be argued .
I agree on the pedestrian's negligence, but the misdemeanour offence of riding an illegal bike isn't being tried.

He's on trial for manslaughter and the use of an illegal and unsafe bike if ruled a contributory factor in causing the death will be grounds enough for a prison sentence for that offence.

Even if the charge is reduced to causing death, the same applies, once again not a misdemeanour.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Well, my reading of that and various googlings is that a fixed rear wheel is a brake, except on EAPCs.
But, I am not a lawyer.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well, my reading of that and various googlings is that a fixed rear wheel is a brake, except on EAPCs.
But, I am not a lawyer.
But only if it has the mandatory brake on the front wheel as well, as the law prescribes. We can't choose to comply with only the bits that suit.

Accordingly the defence has accepted that he had no brakes, that stated in court today.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
But only if it has the mandatory brake on the front wheel as well, as the law prescribes. We can't choose to comply with only the bits that suit.

Accordingly the defence has accepted that he had no brakes, that stated in court today.
I agree with Mike on this one. Of course one cannot pick and mix, but a barrister has a duty to identify not only the law but the intention of the law.
I believe that according to your document from 1983, the defense is incorrect.
The requirement is that there is at least one braking system. The argument that rotation of the rear wheel is dependent on rotation of the pedals , and hench motion of the legs provides a braking system. My understanding, and I have no indepth experience of this is that urban courier cyclists choose fixie's precisely because they are more responsive and reliable for braking.
The exclusion in section 8 was in reference to penny farthing bikes and the Futher reference of pedals attached directly to wheels was relating to those kids trikes

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The requirement is that there is at least one braking system.
I'm not sure what you intend to mean by one braking system.

He didn't comply with 7i, and if you read fully into the law, he didn't have one braking system. Having a fixie is a legal excuse to have only one braking system. Without it he had none.

Last edited:

Advertisers