Rides illegal machine - kills pedestrian & blames her........

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As far as transport is concerned, the sooner we are taken out of the decision making process by machines, the better.
Well, other people maybe. Just post war when I could ride a motorbike 25 miles through the New Forest from Bournemouth to Southampton seeing almost nothing else on the roads, it was perfectly safe.

Goes to show that it's other people who are the trouble. ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I used my new dashcam for the first time and saw this woman walking along the road whilst using her phone. Will they never learn!
And on the wrong side too, not facing the oncoming traffic.

She was probably wanting to avoid the snow covered pavement, but walking on the other side would have been safer.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
And this one.. she must have had a good new year's eve party the night before this near miss. :eek:
You don't need to be drunk or hungover to do that. You just need to arrogantly not understand what right of way is and think you're Lady Muck. A lot of people cross roads like aristocrats for whom traffic must slow down. But your explanation is probably correct in this case.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: E-Wheels

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
You just need to arrogantly not understand what right of way is and think you're Lady Muck. A lot of people cross roads like aristocrats for whom traffic must slow down.
Apart from roads under motorway regulations and special roads I can't think of an example of where motorised users have "right of way" over pedestrians, quite the opposite in fact.

wheeler

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Apart from roads under motorway regulations and special roads I can't think of an example of where motorised users have "right of way" over pedestrians, quite the opposite in fact.

wheeler
I thought vehicles had right of way with respect to pedestrians crossing roads and pedestrians had right of way when it came to cars crossing pavements.

• :D

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I thought vehicles had right of way with respect to pedestrians crossing roads and pedestrians had right of way when it came to cars crossing pavements.
Yes cars do have right away when pedestrians cross road. But that won't stop driver going to court if pedestrian is killed or injured.

• Agree

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Yes cars do have right away when pedestrians cross road.
I don't think this is the case. While the Highway Code says (for pedestrians) 'If traffic is coming, let it pass' it also makes very clear that the rules in the HC 'do not give you the right of way in any circumstance'. Pedestrians and horse riders have the 'right' to use the carriageway. Cars do not have that right as they first must be proven to be roadworthy, licensed, insured and driven by a person deemed competent before they're allowed on the carriageway.

In the case of this young lady, you have to wonder why she didn't just hesitate for the clear space after the second car. It doesn't take too much common sense to realise that a large lump of metal heading at you is likely to hurt if it doesn't pan out how you expect.

Gaz

Last edited:

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Most roads (highways in England) are "all purpose". This means that all users, motorised and non motorised, have a right of way on the road, however no class of user has any right of way over another. You cannot infer a right of way over another road user simply because your mode of transport is faster and heavier. The roads are an equally shared resource whether you are walking, cycling, riding a horse, driving a car or a 44 tonne truck.

The Highway Code Rules 204 - 225 deal with road users needing extra care and 1-35 are rules for pedestrians.

wheeler

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You were caught on a speed camera

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
so leg muscle power alone is deemed to be sufficient.
I've ridden fixed for years. The only way I can stop quickly is to "hop" the rear wheel, and bring the cranks stationary to the horizontal. It can be done pretty quick with experience, but not as quickly as a hand hovering over a good brake lever.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

Advertisers