Riding home after a beer anyone?

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Well the bike came into its own this weekend. Unusually for me I was out twice without family in tow.
Friday night was a beer festival a town away. I did it mostly through parks for safety . But don't remember putting the bike away.mor why I have a scratch from forehead to chin.mim guessing a low branch.

Saturday was a school reunion only about 2 miles but uphill on way home. So I arranged to leave my bike round the back of a friends house as pub wasn't looking to secure. I said I would be back for it at 10ish. In the end it was midnight and their dog heard me and kicked off nice and loud.

Still that's a few taxis saved lol.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
P*** head :rolleyes:.

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
In my younger years (early 30s, so I should still have known better), I came back from London after a night out and rode 4 miles back from the station. Mrs FW called me as I was just entering our village, half way home. She was in an utter panic when I finally arrived home, it apparently took me an hour to ride 2 miles.

I don't appear to have fallen off at all and I don't recall stopping, so I have no idea how it could have taken that long!

I wouldn't do that again though.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0433.JPG

i only drank 4l of cider and i won :)

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
Only been hammered once while out on bike..never again..fell off..musta only been going bout 3 miles an hour though so didn,t hurt myself..i remember it was impossible to peddle in a straight line..or anything resembling a straight line..:D

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Just to say. As a drinker of 35 years. And one that drank heavily and often for the first 20 of that. I was not hammered. My idea of drunk now is 5 or 6 pints. I'm.afraid the memory thing also.happens stone cold sober these days.

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
So, what's the law ref drinking and electric biking?
Section 30 Road Traffic Act 1988 says: “It is an offence for a person to ride a cycle on a road or other public place when unfit to ride through drink or drugs – that is to say – is under the influence of a drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
I was definitely in control. But of course well over the driving limit. I guess you would get a caution or a fine. But they couldn't do.anything to your licence. As your.not using it.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Do it as much as you can.

Seriously though, They can't breathalyse you, so as long as you can stand up and talk to them, you're pretty safe from prosecution. I don't know what the exact offence is, but it's something like drunk in charge of a bicycle or just drunk and disorderly. Even then, prosecutions are pretty rare. Those that I heard about had warnings first, so they only prosecute as a way of protecting you. It might be different if you caused an accident in which somebody else got injured.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Low and LeighPing

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I work with a lot of ex coppers. Little they can do unless you let them breathalyze you.

I also did the hammered cycle once about 4 years back. Fell off and did about 250 quid worth of damage to my bike. In a flat park with no people or obstacles for miles

I have self imposed 2 pint limit now

JimRides

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2016
Liverpool
Two pints sounds a good limit to me.

I've got a bit complacent about having a few jars and then biking home recently, but I fell off my e-bike in the pub car park on Sunday. I had been beer-garden drinking all day, mostly shandy but probably still the equivalent of about 5 pints all told. Rode home the long way afterwards down back roads, didn't trust myself amongst traffic. Only hurt the next day.

If I hadn't made an idiot of myself in the car-park I might have thought I was okay to ride on the main road, then caused an accident. Bloody stupid really.

Won't be having any more than a couple from now on.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My front fork still bears scars of red wine abuse...

When I ride back from S. Sebastian the first several km are on bike paths so by the time I get to the road I am back in shape to handle traffic. Riding the bike back 38 km sure beats walking back :cool: and yes I have done that (once).

EddieH

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2015
Always use my bike to go to the pub (that was the reason for getting one to be honest). Usually have about 6 to 8 pints of Guinness but as i have been drinking that sort of amount for nearly 50 years it doesn't seem to affect me as much, also its a maximum of 3 miles each way depending on which pub I use. Guess I am just lucky (and a fat git)

Reactions: KeithMac

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
how much is a pint of special brew in a pub? do they even sell it these days as last time i was in a pub was 1992 lol.

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
how much is a pint of special brew in a pub? do they even sell it these days as last time i was in a pub was 1992 lol.
Can't say I've noticed Special Brew for sale in any pubs I've been to in many years, but then again, I've never looked or asked for a pint of that foul concoction. I must have been in my teens when I last had a pint of that, so at least 30 years ago.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bummer well if they got none of that and ur buying ill have a pint of vodka :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thats a bloody rip off its 1.40 a can in the local shop :)

Reactions: VictoryV