Riding in the Rain

adrianJB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 30, 2012
Are there things to be aware of about riding electric bikes in the rain? Should I be aware of precautions to take and actions after a wet ride? I am totally new to this so apologies if this is covered, but can't find a thread.

D

Deleted member 4366

Some bikes are more waterproof than others. Showers are OK, but torrential ranr can be a problem. As long as it's not too windyyou can use a cape to keep both yourself and the bike dry - about £10 in Wilinsons.

Areas to be careful:
Battery connections
Charger socket
Throttle
LCD displays

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

adrianJB

Sep 30, 2012
Thanks, d8veh. That's very useful and concurs with advice from more realistic dealers I have come across.

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
I concur with d8veh regarding the cape, however I stopped using mine, mainly I suppose because nobody else wears them nowadays. 10 days ago I got caught out in heavy snow, sleet and rain and had 8miles to cycle back. It really was torrential and I half expected the electrics to pack up but they didn't, my feet got wet but that was all. The bike was then wiped down and stored in the garage for a couple of days. Next time I used it the electrics were all over the place but after much use of a hair dryer everything has settled down. Part of my problem is probably a crack in the plastic on the display on the handlebar so now I've put a small plastic bag over it and fixed it with an elastic band so that I can still see the info. I've also put a smaller bag on the power selector buttons and so far I've not had any more problems although I've only been out in drizzle. I really need to replace the King-Meter display but for the time being a plastic bag is cheaper!

adrianJB

Sep 30, 2012
Thanks DJH. That's encouraging and realistic. As I have a good supply of plastic bags, and won't be seeking out rainy weather the replies above lessen any worries.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Remembered today how fun riding in the rain can be. Soaked this morning getting nuts and bolts, but had a real blast getting muddy this afternoon.

Mist and steady drizzle notwithstanding, couldn't resist giving Trek the real test. Took it out to the steepest hill for miles. It's a killer and even on my Agattu I have to stop for a rest on the way up and get totally soaked with perspiration.

No such trials this time - did have to pedal to assist up the steepest stretches - even CST won't pull you up that hill unassisted and I'm only 62kg. The difference this time was I didn't break a sweat. That's incredible. Turned the motor off at the top and went riding on the muddy trails - with a full range of 27 gears. Used a little bit of assist here and there where the bike weight needed compensating for but not much. It took all the slog out of the parts that would otherwise have been exhausting rather than enjoyable.

I haven't had so much fun for months. Broke in my new brake pads on a 2 mile downhill race at 6pm, legs soaked from rain rather than sweat, having done the trail riding I enjoy largely unpowered and not completely exhausted from getting up there. Made it all worthwhile going for a cassette motor rather than a freewheel hub motor. Turn off the motor and it's genuinely a regular bike. The handling will get even better when the battery gets built in to the controller.

Better go wash all the mud off ... happy boy tonight with drizzly happy memories :).

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
The handling will get even better when the battery gets built in to the controller.
Just re-read that ... I meant to say when the battery and controller get built into the frame triangle ... :eek: ... carried away with euphoria so much I couldn't even string a coherent sentence together !

• :D

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
"Are there things to be aware of about riding electric bikes in the rain?"

White Audis were my main problem in yesterday's torrents. Drivers couldn't email and steer in such poor visibilty. :)

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I have never taken my bike out in rain to date, and never had any problems with my electrics., that could be just coincidental, but I do have a old-fashion idea about never mixing water with electrics.

• Useful

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I have never taken my bike out in rain to date, and never had any problems with my electrics., that could be just coincidental, but I do have a old-fashion idea about never mixing water with electrics.
There's no problem with water & electrics if things are made properly to withstand damp and water not penetrating where it isn't wanted. Loads of electrics on motorboats and yachts, pond pumps another example and SatTV installations are out in all weathers. Not to mention motorbikes and cars.

Cables are insulated so it's always the usual suspects - unused sockets with inefficient covers / no o-rings, corner cutting on gaskets (all it takes is a ring of instant gasket maker), water penetrating screw holes when screws aren't treated with threadlock, unprotected terminals or ones which suffer minor damage, and seals / connections shaking loose from cumulative vibration - also causes risk of shorting depending on how things are wired up. Also condensation with no ventilation can cause as much problems as rain.

If a bike and its components are built properly and relevant seals remain seated it should be able to be taken out in all weathers without problems. Bit of contralube on any motor cable terminal pins is a good idea too and is very effective. Sky use something similar, I believe, when installing satellite dishes.

Last edited:

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
I seem to have ridden quite often in rain, mostly the light to medium stuff, although around Christmas time I had a 5 mile ride that was very very wet indeed, equivalent to cycling up a river bed with an inch or two of water. My controller sits in a box that is part of the bike frame behind the bottom bracket. Glancing down it was as though a hose was pointed directly at where the wires enter the box with the stream of water coming off the front wheel. I full expected the electrics to pack up, but they kept going.

About 3 weeks after this my controller packed up, although I had completed several rides in between with no noticeable changes other than possible brake switch issues mentioned below. At the time I thought it was due to water ingress and the local bike shop cited this as the likely cause. When I examined the old controller there was no evidence of water ingress at all.

In hindsight, I don't believe water was the problem, as I had experienced what I thought was brake switch problems a few times before the soaking took place. In addition, with the new controller fitted all other associated gremlins have ceased and it's running perfectly. This, to my mind, suggests that the controller had been undergoing a progressive component failure for several weeks and I don't think the soaking really had any relevance to the controller failure.

I've ridden in the wet several times since with no adverse effects. Accordingly, at least on my installation (Freego Eagle Hub Drive 250 watt with battery behind the seatpost), it seems very well protected against moisture ingress and I don't concern myself about it anymore.

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
Been reading a few threads with people discussing multiple bike purchases. I remember when young only having one bike and that was made to do everything that was required.
But as an adult your range is extended and a bike that is suitable for shopping may not be the best for an off track ride.
But something else that occurred to me is that possibly some ebikes are more weather resistant than others. I may be wrong, but I was wondering whether some battery placements were better than others from the point of view of water ingress.

Opinions would be good.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The sophisticated crank drive bikes are the best for waterproofing, with the Panasonic ones best of all due to the integration of the battery mounting avoiding exposed trailing wire connections. I've ridden one of these through deep water with the crank unit completely submerged with only my soaking shoes and socks as any consequences. These usually feature completely sealed handlebar control units too. These crank unit comments don't apply to some of the cheaper add-on crank units though, the Cyclone units for example being particularly bad in respect of corrosion proofing.

It's the hub motor systems that are more prone to water ingress problems and corrosion due to the many interconnections of the various components scattered around the bike, motor, controller, battery and handlebar units mostly all being in different places. With these much depends on the build quality and how well the sealing is designed, specified and implemented. The most experienced e-bike makers products tend to be the best, as one might expect. Purchasers can and often do improve an e-bike by upgrading the waterproofing at critical points shortly after receipt of a new bike.

D

Deleted member 4366

I've just returned from China. Luckily, it rained a couple of times while I was there so that I could see what the most cycling-savvy nation does:

Without exception, they all wore capes. No waterproof trousers or coats. Some of them had handlebar muffs on their bikes, which were presumably for winter riding because it gets quite cold there. The temperature, while we were there was the same as the UK, but I believe they get the full range of temperatures and rain intensity. The capes cost from about £2 to £5 in the supermarket. So, my advice is: If you want to ride in the rain, get a cape. They have them in Wilkos for about £10. When Aldis/Lidl do bike stuff, their ones are quite good for the same price.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
+1 for capes, the most sensible solution of all for cycling in the rain.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I always used to wear a cape, it was standard rain wear. I wonder why they became unpopular.
You just have to watch teenagers waiting for the bus to school & colledge, in the rain - Not a decent waterproof coat among 'em:

They'd rather look like a drowned rat than appear uncool in an ANORAK :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: flecc