Riese and Muller sizing

Nandewar

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 23, 2017
Australia
A near new Delte is available at a reasonable price. No months of waiting for a new one. The only problem is it 14 hours drive from where I live. The nearest dealer to test ride a R and M is 7 hours away and they only have mediums as well.
This presents a problem. Will a Medium Delite fit a 185cm (6'2") rider with long legs? It would be a long drive to find it is too small.
Has anyone had experience with the Delite and be able to offer their experience with sizing?
Thanks in advance.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
R&M Website says Medium up to 1.85m so you'll be pushing it. Why not email R&M with your inside leg length to ask their advice?

Gaz

Nandewar

May 23, 2017
Australia
Thanks for the replys. I emailed R&M to get a diagram of their frame geometry to compare with my Koga Traveller. Hopefully I will be able to work it out.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have a medium Charger which is right for me at just under six foot and could fit someone an inch of two taller.

That doesn't tell you a great deal, not least because the Delite is a different bike.

I agree with the others, as a general point a 'medium' bike could be a bit small for you.

It's easier - although still a compromise - to make a bike that's a bit too small fit a bigger person than it is to make a bike that's a bit too big fit a smaller person.

For example, some Delites have height adjustable handlebars which might be all you need.

Nandewar

May 23, 2017
Australia
I have a medium Charger which is right for me at just under six foot and could fit someone an inch of two taller.

That doesn't tell you a great deal, not least because the Delite is a different bike.

I agree with the others, as a general point a 'medium' bike could be a bit small for you.

It's easier - although still a compromise - to make a bike that's a bit too small fit a bigger person than it is to make a bike that's a bit too big fit a smaller person.

For example, some Delites have height adjustable handlebars which might be all you need.
Rob, thanks for the response.
I read your review of your Charger GX with interest. This is the bike I may order if I find the used Delite is too small. I am battling with the gearing choice however. You have a Rohloff. Being so far from any sort of bike shop I nervous about getting such a sophisticated piece of engineering that I have no chance of repairing if it fails. But I am also worried of chewing cassettes with the extra torque of an e bike. This would present challenges too.
Do you have any thoughts on the reliability and general useability of your Rohloff/Charger combo? It looks like a fantastic ride.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Rohloff say on their website they have never had one fail.

A bold claim, and this being the internet, no doubt someone will disagree with it,

There's no doubt the hub is all but bomb proof, plenty have done tens of thousands of miles with nothing more than an occasional oil change.

Ideal component for someone in your remote location who doesn't have easy access to spares/ bike shops.

A Rohloff has a wide range, and the evenly spaced ratios make it very easy to live with.

The twist grip change is designed for leisurely changes.

It's a gentleman's touring hub: "I see an incline approaching, I shall select a lower gear."

A Rohloff is not so suitable for faster changes required when mountain biking.

The extra input mountain bikers put on the bars also leads to unwanted changes - twisting the changer inadvertently.

No need to rule out a derailer ebike - chewing cassettes is over stated.

The combined power of a legal motor and the average comparatively weak ebiker amounts to no more than a strong cyclist.

Use some mechanical empathy when changing gear, and all will be well.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I have Rohloff on one bike and Sram derailier on another. When set up right the derailier is nicer to use but slowly goes off, especially in wet dirty conditions.

The Rohloff is always the same, of the two I prefer the Rohloff.

All I have had to do is change the oil every year, easy enough to do.

Now at 9500 miles hardly run in.

Reactions: RobF

Nandewar

May 23, 2017
Australia
More grist for the mill. Thanks Rob. " Mechanical empathy" will be employed which ever transmission I choose. The Rohloff sounds good.