Riese & Muller Charger NuVinci Electric Bike?

Monica Pothecary

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 25, 2016
Shetland
Hi
I am interested in purchasing an electric touring or hybrid bike. I live in Shetland so I need the bike to deal with the demands of the terrain, long steep hills, and the ever-present wind. The frame size of my touring bike is 16"

The basic specifications that are important to me are as follow:

· Pedelec

· Bosh battery – removable for charging/ easily accessible/ lockable

· High mileage capacity

· Powerful and smooth torque that can cope with terrain

· Not too heavy as I have to carry the bike up steps to my house

· Bike rack/ mudguards & lights included?

· Gearing that can cope with the hills even if the battery runs flat. I am keen to have 'hub gears 'due the low maintenance, compared to derailleur gears.

· UK Legal

After much consideration I decided that that the Riese & Muller Charger NuVinci Electric Bike is the model/brand that appeals the most, with its low maintenance, and quality engineering.

However I have been told by one bike shop that contacted said:

‘The one thing I would say to you is that we have had a lot of problems with the Nuvinci and their back up service is not that great’

As you can imagine that this has concerned me due to my location.

I would be interested in hearing of member’s opinion on this statement or suggestions for an alternative selection.

Thank you

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
My experience with the NuVinci/Gates combination on my Grace MX wasn't the best but a mail to the importer got things moving quickly. But there was still a failure hence me going over to Riese & Muller bikes.

I never got the full story but Gates and NuVinci blamed each other for the problem. The Gates belt changed the design and now NuVinci are on the 380 series with a more robust design.

Should there be a problem with them these days I doubt R&M would offer them in their range but be assured you get swift attention from R&M and the importer AMPS.

I wonder if you have had a test ride, it's a lot of money if you decide it's not for you.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi
I am interested in purchasing an electric touring or hybrid bike. I live in Shetland so I need the bike to deal with the demands of the terrain, long steep hills, and the ever-present wind. The frame size of my touring bike is 16"

The basic specifications that are important to me are as follow:

· Pedelec

· Bosh battery – removable for charging/ easily accessible/ lockable

· High mileage capacity

· Powerful and smooth torque that can cope with terrain

· Not too heavy as I have to carry the bike up steps to my house

· Bike rack/ mudguards & lights included?

· Gearing that can cope with the hills even if the battery runs flat. I am keen to have 'hub gears 'due the low maintenance, compared to derailleur gears.

· UK Legal

After much consideration I decided that that the Riese & Muller Charger NuVinci Electric Bike is the model/brand that appeals the most, with its low maintenance, and quality engineering.

However I have been told by one bike shop that contacted said:

‘The one thing I would say to you is that we have had a lot of problems with the Nuvinci and their back up service is not that great’

As you can imagine that this has concerned me due to my location.

I would be interested in hearing of member’s opinion on this statement or suggestions for an alternative selection.

Thank you

Firstly I am sure you will have great satisfaction from the Bosch motor system. I have only done 800 km on mine, but find it very fluid, responsive and accurate.
Secondly.
Are you not being prejudiced against derailleur systems. ? Any bicycle shop can adjust , replace and repair them , they are frankly old news . The modern gear shifts are excellent and smooth. Parts are cheap. I know that the Shetlands are an extreme marine environment, and that an enclosed hub is attractive but there plenty of other locations which are also marine.
A key consideration for you must be reliability compared to ease of repair. Even if the maintenance of derailleur is higher, the time to repair will be much less.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes
D

Deleted member 4366

Don't get a bike with Nuvinci gears. There's too many disadvantages:
  • Very heavy
  • Not as reliable as other systems
  • Not as efficient as other systems
  • More expensive than other systems
If you want light weight, derailleur gears would be a logical choice. They look complicated, but actually are very simple and reliable. That's why most bikes have them.

An electric bike doesn't need many gears if you're just using your bike as basic transport. Three is enough for most situations.

It's not very common for batteries to run flat. You can go for hours. Your meter shows how it's doing, so you adjust the power and your pedal effort to ensure you complete your journey. If you already ride a bike, the lowest power level on an electric bike will make a big difference and probably be enough for what you need or you can use the higher power levels to go faster.

• Agree
Reactions: robert44

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I too am not a huge fan of Nuvinci, mainly due to difficulties experienced in the past in getting help if they go wrong. I should say that my mild dislike of the system is centred on a couple of problems we had when importing Grace bikes a few years ago, one of which being Croxden's.

We do sell a few Nuvinci hubs on Riese & Muller bikes but most people seem to go for either the very good Shimano Deore XT 10 or 11 speed derailleure gears or for those with deeper pockets, the Rohloff 14 is sublime.

I can't remember ever having an issue with a Rohloff hub. The same can be said regarding Deore XT gears, this as D8veh points out, is probably because every bike shop in the country knows the system and has an account with Madisons to buy worn parts.

Maybe I shouldn't let a couple of issues with early Nuvinci hubs cloud my judgement. Although they are not quite as as efficient as an XT set or a Rohloff hub, they are a very tough, completely enclosed hub gear system that needs almost no maintenance. I can only remember having one issue with them since we have been distributing Riese & Muller bikes. Of course RM sent out a replacement wheel next day.

Sorry not to be more decisive!

All the best, David

• Informative
Reactions: Emo Rider

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
In a marine environment you can't bet Gates drive with IGH. Besides Nuvinci there is also Shimano Nexus and Alfine, the 8 spds are on a lot of ebikes.

Don't over look brakes, while disc brakes are brilliant the discs don't like sea spray. Hydraulic rim brakes maybe a better choice.

Some of Dutch commuters ebikes have fully enclosed chain covers, making for very low chain maintenance.

Last edited:

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Go for the Rohloff R&M, I have been riding a regular touring bike, with a Rohloff and it has given me 13 years of trouble free operation to date.

The Gates Drive is a very neat solution, but I would still prefer to have a Chain that I can tinker with when required.

Of course I run a Rohloff SLT-99 Chain (8 Speed), sadly no longer manufactured.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Monica Pothecary

Dec 25, 2016
Shetland
My experience with the NuVinci/Gates combination on my Grace MX wasn't the best but a mail to the importer got things moving quickly. But there was still a failure hence me going over to Riese & Muller bikes.

I never got the full story but Gates and NuVinci blamed each other for the problem. The Gates belt changed the design and now NuVinci are on the 380 series with a more robust design.

Should there be a problem with them these days I doubt R&M would offer them in their range but be assured you get swift attention from R&M and the importer AMPS.

I wonder if you have had a test ride, it's a lot of money if you decide it's not for you.
Thank you for your reply and information on your experience.
Not had a test ride due to my location, though I realise that it would be a sensible option.

Monica Pothecary

Dec 25, 2016
Shetland
Firstly I am sure you will have great satisfaction from the Bosch motor system. I have only done 800 km on mine, but find it very fluid, responsive and accurate.
Secondly.
Are you not being prejudiced against derailleur systems. ? Any bicycle shop can adjust , replace and repair them , they are frankly old news . The modern gear shifts are excellent and smooth. Parts are cheap. I know that the Shetlands are an extreme marine environment, and that an enclosed hub is attractive but there plenty of other locations which are also marine.
A key consideration for you must be reliability compared to ease of repair. Even if the maintenance of derailleur is higher, the time to repair will be much less.
Thank you for your reply. The reason for my desire for hub gears is not only the environment, but also due to my embarrassing lack of care of maintaining my current bike derailleur system. I feel I would benefit from owning a bike that needs less maintenance, as I am not very skilled in mechanics, despite my good intentions.

Monica Pothecary

Dec 25, 2016
Shetland
Go for the Rohloff R&M, I have been riding a regular touring bike, with a Rohloff and it has given me 13 years of trouble free operation to date.

The Gates Drive is a very neat solution, but I would still prefer to have a Chain that I can tinker with when required.

Of course I run a Rohloff SLT-99 Chain (8 Speed), sadly no longer manufactured.
Thank you for your reply I will investigate your suggestion.

Monica Pothecary

Dec 25, 2016
Shetland
In a marine environment you can't bet Gates drive with IGH. Besides Nuvinci there is also Shimano Nexus and Alfine, the 8 spds are on a lot of ebikes.

Don't over look brakes, while disc brakes are brilliant the discs don't like sea spray. Hydraulic rim brakes maybe a better choice.

Some of Dutch commuters ebikes have fully enclosed chain covers, making for very low chain maintenance.
Thank you for your reply, I will take your advise into consideration.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thank you for your reply. The reason for my desire for hub gears is not only the environment, but also due to my embarrassing lack of care of maintaining my current bike derailleur system. I feel I would benefit from owning a bike that needs less maintenance, as I am not very skilled in mechanics, despite my good intentions.[/QUOT

...... That's why God invented bicycle shops... When I purchased my Motus I had wanted to get one with a hub on the grounds that I am also in a marine environment. 350 m from high tide mark. But there was none available. I have adjusted nothing on it to date, all the gears just click into place, I think they call it indexing. Likewise I previously had another bike and when it needed adjustments, it was a few years od

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
R&M with Rohloff is a massive outlay................But is an ideal combo. I'm tempted. :D. I rode a R&M with nuvinci at the bike show. Felt great. Far better than other bikes I tried.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
R&M with Rohloff is a massive outlay................But is an ideal combo. I'm tempted. :D. I rode a R&M with nuvinci at the bike show. Felt great. Far better than other bikes I tried.
Mine is still my favourite bike.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Crockers, Reise & Muller bikes are generally regarded in Germany as the best of the best. If you did want to order a Delite, I have to advise that the waiting list his now out to about 6 weeks. They are all hand built to order and have been massively popular this year.

All the best, David

Delite Touring Grey.jpg

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Thanks David. I won't be buying a new bike until the spring so not overly worried about the delay. I'm very tempted but am also drawn to the bikes with the Brose motors as their batteries seem very well integrated into the frames. Especially the new Specialized Vado turbos due out in the spring.

One question. The double battery. If one buys a bike with just one battery - is it Pre wired for the second that can be added later?

Thanks

Graham

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Graham, the Delite is prewired for a second battery.

Brose is a great system, the reason RM stick exclusively to Bosch is due to their commitment to the industry continuously reinvesting, improving and updating.

Bosch invested aprox €1,000,000 in their system before the original launch. Bosch users can all relax in the knowledge that these systems will continue to be supported and spares will be available for many years to come. It's not only Bosch that continue to invest heavily for the future of ebikes, Shimano will certainly go the same way.

All the best, David

• Agree
Reactions: Emo Rider

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi Graham, the Delite is prewired for a second battery.

Brose is a great system, the reason RM stick exclusively to Bosch is due to their commitment to the industry continuously reinvesting, improving and updating.

Bosch invested aprox €1,000,000 in their system before the original launch. Bosch users can all relax in the knowledge that these systems will continue to be supported and spares will be available for many years to come. It's not only Bosch that continue to invest heavily for the future of ebikes, Shimano will certainly go the same way.

All the best, David
Only a million? That seems a paltry R&D budget they would spend more than that on a taillight design.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Sorry I meant 1,000,000,000 Euro!

This info came from our new National Sales Manager Jeremy Crook, he came to us straight from Magura who are the agents for Bosch Ebikes systems across the world.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Thank you for your reply. The reason for my desire for hub gears is not only the environment, but also due to my embarrassing lack of care of maintaining my current bike derailleur system. I feel I would benefit from owning a bike that needs less maintenance, as I am not very skilled in mechanics, despite my good intentions.
The Gates Carbon Drive is near maintenance free, smooth and reliable. Part of the reason I chose my current bike was it had the belt drive.