Riese & Muller Charger NuVinci Electric Bike?

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
i was thinking about buying a Riese muller with a Nuvinci hub not sure what to think after reading these posts that people have put up i really depend on my bike to get me everywhere

i could put a rolfoff in but it a lot of expense really

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Although the Rohloff is sublime, the Nuvinci will give you years of maintenance free riding and of course the RM bike properly maintained will go on for decades. My only advice is don't buy the electronic automatic version. They are the only Nuvinci hubs we have ever had issues with.

All the best, David

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
An enclosed chain bike is another option - enclosed chains hardly wear at all so will last many years.

Gazelle make a couple of ebikes with enclosed chains, typically Dutch who regard the bicycle as a tool, not a fashion statement.

Some Riese and Muller bikes have the lightweight Hebie Chainglider, not quite fully enclosed but almost as good at keeping the chain clean.

The cheapest option would be to fit a Chainglider to Mac's existing bike - if it has hub gears.

A Chainglider could also be retro fitted to most hub gear ebikes, widening the choice a bit more.

http://www.hebie.de/en/protection/chainguard/chainglider/350/

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
The current bike that i own at the moment is a Scott Esub Sport 2015 a great bike and nice to ride but if you are like me a need it to get your places as your only form of transport then it's wise to keep the mechanical side of things in a polished condition

i just like the idea of hub gears and belt driven because when i come home from them really muddy rides and the chain is covered in mud and grime and it looking at me in the face clean me.

i have tried to leave the drive train a little longer than normal but it not worth it at all where i ride because the gear start not to change properly so nearly every ride i have to degrease the chain and re-lube it ready for the next ride

When i go to the next town it takes about 10 mins to get into the town with all the traffic lights in place it would be a lot more easier with a hub gear system

ezee2007

Just Joined
Feb 21, 2019
Hi
I am interested in purchasing an electric touring or hybrid bike. I live in Shetland so I need the bike to deal with the demands of the terrain, long steep hills, and the ever-present wind. The frame size of my touring bike is 16"

The basic specifications that are important to me are as follow:

· Pedelec

· Bosh battery – removable for charging/ easily accessible/ lockable

· High mileage capacity

· Powerful and smooth torque that can cope with terrain

· Not too heavy as I have to carry the bike up steps to my house

· Bike rack/ mudguards & lights included?

· Gearing that can cope with the hills even if the battery runs flat. I am keen to have 'hub gears 'due the low maintenance, compared to derailleur gears.

· UK Legal

After much consideration I decided that that the Riese & Muller Charger NuVinci Electric Bike is the model/brand that appeals the most, with its low maintenance, and quality engineering.

However I have been told by one bike shop that contacted said:

‘The one thing I would say to you is that we have had a lot of problems with the Nuvinci and their back up service is not that great’

As you can imagine that this has concerned me due to my location.

I would be interested in hearing of member’s opinion on this statement or suggestions for an alternative selection.

Thank you
Hi,

Old thread I know but I hope you can answer some questions.

This you get the Charger Nuvinci in the end?
Do you find the gearing low enough on those long steep climbs?
What is your preferred cadence?

Thanks in advance

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
I have the R&M Charger GT Nuvinci for over a year and not had a single blip from the Gates/Nuvinci 380 duo. The only thing I would say is that the bike weighs in at 24kg, so it isn't the lightest bike to haul upstairs, but then I'm an old fart, and you might be young enough to pull it off.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
for least maintenance, all you need is a fully enclosed chain cover.