Riese & Muller Delite 2

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The advice on this forum is to try as many e-bikes as you can to ensure it is right for you.

So having ordered a Riese & Muller Delite 2, not only not riding one but never even seen one other than a photograph on their web page, I was a little apprehensive when arriving at Onbike's showroom.

I had no need to worry; the bike looked so good it was a delight to see it. The build quality is exceptional and the component parts being of the best available to suit the design of the bike. R & M's reputation is well deserved. It felt instantly right as soon as I got on, the bike could not have been better if it had been tailor made just for me.

Certainly it felt different to any other bike I have ridden. I can only explain it is more like a Harley Davidson than a Triumph or Norton and I've never ridden a motor bike, but that is how it seems.

I did check the Geometry dimensions and compared them with my existing bike and with the Grace MX that preceded it, so it was not a complete gamble.

I chose to have the Rohloff geared hub, not wanting derailleur or NuVinci and I am so glad. The gear range is great, better than my 3 x 8 derailleur on my non powered bike, but of course it is costly and a decision not taken lightly, but for me worth it.

It is Bosch mid motored so nothing different to most others but it is the Performance version and therefore has more torque. A test I did was a steep hill, about 20%, last ridden with the Grace MX. I thought at the time a little lower ratio would have been welcome as it was hard going. With the Delite I put it into fourth gear and high power and just breezed up. Whether it was a lower gear or the higher torque I don't know, maybe a touch of both but it made riding a real pleasure.

I have been wondering if it free wheeled as well as my other bikes, but the high winds have made it difficult to ascertain this. However, following a non powered rider in a sheltered lane I noticed he kept peddling, I had to brake. That was pleasing.

Changing gear with the twist grip takes a little getting used to, additional problem for me is that it works in the opposite direction to the NuVinci and in my old befuddled mind I can get it wrong when changing hurriedly when in panic mode. I hope to adapt. Gears change without any drama, having to ease off the pressure when changing down, changing up not always necessary. Always a smooth change and the control is clearly numbered.

I chose to have 26" wheels although 29" are also available. I have ridden 29er's and found I preferred the smaller size, seemingly a little more manovable on the tracks.

There is an active pivot swing arm to ensure optimal road contact along with air-shock front dampers. Hydraulic disc brakes stop the bike readily and the Schwalbe Marathon Deluxe tyres ensure a good ride on hard and rough surfaces.

Almost reaching 200 miles I thought I had better write something, especially having had someone give a nudge (thanks RobF).

So far, I can only conclude that, if funds permit and you want quality, you can't go wrong with this bike. Money can be saved by choosing to have derailleur gears instead of Rohloff, and of course NuVinci are also available.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Great review. The new performance system has more torque than the 2013 system now referred to as classic 60nm compared to 48nm and up to 275% assistanced compared to 250% assistance.

Hope you continue to love your bike :)

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Changing gear with the twist grip takes a little getting used to, additional problem for me is that it works in the opposite direction to the NuVinci and in my old befuddled mind I can get it wrong when changing hurriedly when in panic mode. I hope to adapt.
That's interesting. I've been using the Nuvinci since September, and I still need to check that I'm twisting it the right way. It does seem 'back to front':confused: I'd hoped that by now muscle memory would have developed - maybe it will when I get out more often when the weather improves!

I take it you have previously had a Nuvinci? Why did you go for the Rohloff?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I can only explain it is more like a Harley Davidson than a Triumph or Norton
I don't think that's a very good an analogy to be honest, I'm left picturing a bike that doesn't handle and has an electric motor from the 1950's now :eek: or even earlier, all show, lots of noise, no go and leather tassels :)

Interesting choice the Rohloff hub, I'd have thought an e-bike could really do without all those really closely spaced low gears http://www.nuvinci.com/Docs/GearInchChart_N360.pdf

Have you got any pictures or links please?

Found it http://en.r-m.de/bike/delite-hybrid-rohloffrohloff-hs/ nice bike, and very good to have a chain tensioner. KTM take note if you're reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Thanks Martin, even better than the older model, smart.

I really like that Rohloff chain tensioner, very neat indeed.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I don't think that's a very good an analogy to be honest, I'm left picturing a bike that doesn't handle and has an electric motor from the 1950's now :eek: or even earlier, all show, lots of noise, no go and leather tassels :)
I did say I had never been on a motor bike, it is looking at the 'comfort', easy chair style. I seem to make a lot of noise, don't have much go or show. May get some tassels.

Reactions: Artstu

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Very nice :).
I know a local gentleman who builds bespoke touring bikes that get sent around the world and often used for world touring, he only uses Rohloff hubs.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I have now done 500 miles in the wind, rain, wind and sunshine. The sunshine is best and allowing me to get to understand the bike a bit better.

It was impossible to compare with other bikes due to the unusual weather conditions including the cold. Without doubt the Delite has a more comfortable riding position and the extra torque of the performance motor certainly makes a difference on the hills, that and the Rohloff gears.

Is there a down side? I think the internal gearing of the new Bosch motor causes a bit of drag. When peddling the front gear turns two & half times the crank, not noticeable when the motor is operating, but when going over the cut off speed it does seem to be a little harder to peddle. This may be the Rohloff; I have not ridden a manual Rohloff so can't compare. It does seem to be improving as the miles go on, and it says a thousand kilometres are needed to be fully run in. Time will tell, but I'm not complaining.

Another thing, the range is less with this motor, hardly surprising. I managed to run out of battery the other day. I had run out of time & returned after 17.5 miles and didn't charge it up. Next day tried the same route but had warnings on the range thing that I was not going to make it at the rate I was using the power. So I turned it off where I could and used it only on the hills and the soft going through the forestry. Someone on here said the Rohloff was an over kill on an e-bike, not so. Never have I been so glad for those extra low gears and I only had a few hundred yards of hill to go. The last mile is all downhill and be freewheeled.

Most of the riding was using the higher power settings except for the last five so a range of about 34 miles. This is in an area of many hills and poor weather conditions, I would expect getting 50 miles if I tried, the last Bosch bike I could get 60 plus miles.

This is the best bike for me, I enjoy it a great deal but it did costs a lot. The way I price it is to divide the miles into the bike price so now it is about £9.00 per mile and reducing.

It just gets better and better.

Some photo's when I find how to.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Some of the country lanes I ride in. One hopes a JCB Fastrack isn't coming in the other direction.

No photo appeared, sorry about that.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Someone on here said the Rohloff was an over kill on an e-bike, not so. Never have I been so glad for those extra low gears and I only had a few hundred yards of hill to go. The last mile is all downhill and be freewheeled.

Most of the riding was using the higher power settings except for the last five so a range of about 34 miles. This is in an area of many hills and poor weather conditions, I would expect getting 50 miles if I tried, the last Bosch bike I could get 60 plus miles.
Of course having lots of gears is good when your battery is flat, I try to avoid that at all costs.

60 miles is very impressive, I'd need 25 a/h for that, but then again perhaps the hills in these parts are bigger. Although you can't be that far off here.

If you're close perhaps you can go and do 3 laps of this and tell me how long your battery lasts.

http://www.buxtonmtt.co.uk/course-description/

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I think it's likely that internal gearing on the Bosch that's responsible for the drag effect. Most unlikely to be much if anything to do with that hub.

I'm glad you've come out and confirmed the benefit of the 14 gears, especially riding unpowered. I do think it's overkill for a bike that is used wholly under power but on nice crank drive bikes there may well be occasions where you want to ride it as a regular bike (or wind up doing so !). For those situations, or for people who want to ride unpowered now and again it doesn't seem overkill to me at all. Just wish you could have more at the top end as well :)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Alex, I find the top gear more than enough, much higher than the NuVinci I had previously.

Reactions: 103Alex1

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Are you not that far north then?
Artstu, if the question is for me, 11 miles south of Leek. If not, I'm not telling you.

Reactions: Artstu

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Croxden for the superb reports.

The Rohloff apparently does take at least 1000km to run in and does not start to work at it's best until around the 5000km mark! I have heard that a lot of Rohloff owners keep their hub for life, swapping it from bike to bike. Unlike me, they simply get better with age. :)

All the best

David

Reactions: 4bound