Riese & Muller Delite 2

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I now have turned 1000 miles on the Delite. Nothing to report, it is just brilliant. More than can be said for me, I am loosing stamina after catching a bug, if I hadn't this bike daytime TV would have an extra viewer and that would never do.

The range now seems to be improving, a combination I think of warmer weather and the bike/battery getting run in. It certainly seems to be loosening up and free wheeling more like my old Gary Fisher. I don't think that bike will be ridden again, by me anyway. It was hard going back to it when the Grace MX went, but its no way after the Delite.

I have not had any negative comments from anyone about the bike, most finding the design to be very appealing but not always willing to have a go. Perhaps the price puts them off, they may want one.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Croxden! I am DELITED (groan) :p you are enjoying the bike, it is in my opinion the best electric mountain bike available at the moment.

All the best

David

Jacos

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 9, 2014
The advice on this forum is to try as many e-bikes as you can to ensure it is right for you.

So having ordered a Riese & Muller Delite 2, not only not riding one but never even seen one other than a photograph on their web page, I was a little apprehensive when arriving at Onbike's showroom.

I had no need to worry; the bike looked so good it was a delight to see it. The build quality is exceptional and the component parts being of the best available to suit the design of the bike. R & M's reputation is well deserved. It felt instantly right as soon as I got on, the bike could not have been better if it had been tailor made just for me.

Certainly it felt different to any other bike I have ridden. I can only explain it is more like a Harley Davidson than a Triumph or Norton and I've never ridden a motor bike, but that is how it seems.

I did check the Geometry dimensions and compared them with my existing bike and with the Grace MX that preceded it, so it was not a complete gamble.

I chose to have the Rohloff geared hub, not wanting derailleur or NuVinci and I am so glad. The gear range is great, better than my 3 x 8 derailleur on my non powered bike, but of course it is costly and a decision not taken lightly, but for me worth it.

It is Bosch mid motored so nothing different to most others but it is the Performance version and therefore has more torque. A test I did was a steep hill, about 20%, last ridden with the Grace MX. I thought at the time a little lower ratio would have been welcome as it was hard going. With the Delite I put it into fourth gear and high power and just breezed up. Whether it was a lower gear or the higher torque I don't know, maybe a touch of both but it made riding a real pleasure.

I have been wondering if it free wheeled as well as my other bikes, but the high winds have made it difficult to ascertain this. However, following a non powered rider in a sheltered lane I noticed he kept peddling, I had to brake. That was pleasing.

Changing gear with the twist grip takes a little getting used to, additional problem for me is that it works in the opposite direction to the NuVinci and in my old befuddled mind I can get it wrong when changing hurriedly when in panic mode. I hope to adapt. Gears change without any drama, having to ease off the pressure when changing down, changing up not always necessary. Always a smooth change and the control is clearly numbered.

I chose to have 26" wheels although 29" are also available. I have ridden 29er's and found I preferred the smaller size, seemingly a little more manovable on the tracks.

There is an active pivot swing arm to ensure optimal road contact along with air-shock front dampers. Hydraulic disc brakes stop the bike readily and the Schwalbe Marathon Deluxe tyres ensure a good ride on hard and rough surfaces.

Almost reaching 200 miles I thought I had better write something, especially having had someone give a nudge (thanks RobF).

So far, I can only conclude that, if funds permit and you want quality, you can't go wrong with this bike. Money can be saved by choosing to have derailleur gears instead of Rohloff, and of course NuVinci are also available.

Jacos

Jun 9, 2014
Hi Croxden,

With interest I have read you're post about the Delite II.

How are you doing with the bike now after some (many) more miles?
Enjoyed you're enthousiasm.

I am thinking about bying one too, probably the touring version with shimano xt.
Also have a question about the rear carrier. R & M site says it can have 20kg. Have you loaded it up with more or less this weight already?
I am curious if it stays stable under load.
Want to use the bike for touring.

I have read some tests where they said it is a little pity it goes only to 20 kg but is stable and also read some comment to where they said it was not stable???

So you might know and I would be delited to hear.

I probably have a test ride one of these weeks. There seem to be only one test bike in Holland but the bicycle store is willing to get it for a few days.
Hopefully soon.

Thanks,

Jacos

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Hi Croxden,

With interest I have read you're post about the Delite II.

How are you doing with the bike now after some (many) more miles?
Enjoyed you're enthousiasm.

I am thinking about bying one too, probably the touring version with shimano xt.
Also have a question about the rear carrier. R & M site says it can have 20kg. Have you loaded it up with more or less this weight already?
I am curious if it stays stable under load.
Want to use the bike for touring.

I have read some tests where they said it is a little pity it goes only to 20 kg but is stable and also read some comment to where they said it was not stable???

So you might know and I would be delited to hear.

I probably have a test ride one of these weeks. There seem to be only one test bike in Holland but the bicycle store is willing to get it for a few days.
Hopefully soon.

Thanks,

Jacos

Hi Jacos, I was going to suggest coming over till you said Holland, a bit to far I think.

The bike is brilliant, now done over 1,700 miles or 2740 kilometres and still the best bike I could think to own.

I have not loaded the carrier with anything very heavy yet, I have a KTM bag that has panniers that will fold down each side, this to is good. I would think the weight limit could be exceeded a bit without problems and can't see why the bike should become unstable. I will have to do a test to find out and reply.

The Delite is well engineered including the carrier, as you can see by the illustration on their web site the load is transfered well to the frame.

Jacos

Jun 9, 2014
That is a quick reply Croxden, thanks!

Yeah it seems quite sturdy.
I saw one in a German shop a while ago but than the weather was awful so I could not try it out.
They where fund of the rohloff version too.
Moneywise I think taking the xt, is already a bit over budget.

By just feeling/trying to move it the carrier felt sturdy.
I will ask my bike store over here to get me one to try it out.

Holland is not that far..... not the 2740km you have done already :)
Great, you must having fun.

Thanks,
Jacos

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
. I would think the weight limit could be exceeded a bit without problems and can't see why the bike should become unstable. I will have to do a test to find out and reply.
I don't own a Delite, so I'm emminently suited to stick my oar in here :)

I regularly load rear panniers & rack with about 15kgs & wear a 10kg backpack:
My bike is perfectly stable - Until I stop!

I've ended up on my backside in the ditch more than once.

Reactions: Croxden

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Just had a nosey about this bike on google although not mucn information about the touring one, Strange rear end but looks like a nice bike. Had thought maybe I would add it to my very short-list of 2 (ktm and haibike) until i saw the price! I cannot quite figure out why the bike costs £2k more than say the haibike? Same motor anyhow... sorry to hijack but interested.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Just had a nosey about this bike on google although not mucn information about the touring one, Strange rear end but looks like a nice bike. Had thought maybe I would add it to my very short-list of 2 (ktm and haibike) until i saw the price! I cannot quite figure out why the bike costs £2k more than say the haibike? Same motor anyhow... sorry to hijack but interested.
Wissy, which bikes are you comparing? I don't find them that dearer if you have the same components.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Wissy, which bikes are you comparing? I don't find them that dearer if you have the same components.
Comparing a KTM macina type trekking bike whatever the model name is now and a haibike trekking.. Again with same battery (400) and a bosch motor?

Unless I looked at the wrong riese & muller.....? Trekking model of theirs over £4k? No Rohloff or anything is there either...

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The mountain is 3.999 euros or £3.233 according to my exchange machine.

Much better bike though, worth the extra, all top quality bits. Go for one.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I have now done 2000 miles on the Delite and can offer a some of my thoughts on how the bike has lived up to the high spec, cost & expectations.

I read on the forum of other bikes having problems, some minor, some not so minor within this mileage. The Delite has just performed without me having to do anything other than to keep it clean. Taking notice of what Hattie said once on chains, I just wipe it with a rag to keep it clean, the links are as flexible as they were when new but it and the chain tensioner are as clean as could be, not clogged up with old oil and dirt as my previous derailleur bike would have been.

The one thing that disappointed me was the saddle, a Selle Royal. Due the design construction and my sometimes my clumsy dismounting I have managed to get several tears in the surface of the gelled surface. I replaced it with an Aldi saddle, also Selle Royal, it managed five rides before a tear appeared and was so uncomfortable I patched up the original and replaced it. I can't blame the bike for this but myself and have now put on a Brooks Swift and have to run it in before comparisons can be made. It might take a while.

So what else? I have had the screen of the Invutia display has switched its self off a few times, the power keeps going and all the controls will operate but to get the display back I need to switch it off and switch it on again. Typical computer thing, I don't know if this has happened to other Intuvia displays others have, perhaps it's just for me.

Otherwise the bike is brilliant and just what I needed, the tyres, wheels, suspension and gears perform just great, but next week another forum member will have a good test of it when he calls in and no doubt will give his honest opinion of it on the forum, being able to compare it with the two bikes he currently uses. But from my point of view well worth the purchase price.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
but next week another forum member will have a good test of it when he calls in and no doubt will give his honest opinion of it on the forum, being able to compare it with the two bikes he currently uses.
The other member is me and I've now had my ride on the Delite.

Firstly, thanks to Croxden - aka Mike - for the offer, he is not the least bit precious about his £4K+ bike and told me to give it a good test.

We rode a shortened version of one of his regular routes, Mike was on my AVE and I was on his Delite.

The ride was mostly on quiet lanes, but also took in a glorious mile-long climb on a forest track.

My over-riding impression is the stability and comfort of the Delite.

Quality suspension both ends makes a huge difference to the riding experience.

I'm a slow descender, but hit nearly 30mph on the Delite - it felt rock solid.

Small imperfections which would have pitched my Rose off line made no difference to Mike's bike.

Similarly, on the slow climb through the forest the bike sailed serenely over ruts and bumps which would have deflected lesser machinery.

I liked the stability, but also the comfort - you are not jostled and jarred on a Delite in the way you are even on a 29er such as my Rose.

Mike's bike has the Rohloff gear hub, which is about the best (a lot of) money can buy.

It performed faultlessly, but the twist grip change requires a bit of effort and I wouldn't need all 14 gears.

As Mike has pointed out, speccing lowly derailleurs brings the price down to well under £4K.

I was a bit disappointed by the new Bosch motor, no more grunt than my Rose, and my impression was that it used more battery power.

The motor was also noisier than my Rose.

I have two Bosch bikes and both seem noisier some days than others.

On this evidence the new Bosch motor is no better than the old one, although it and the battery do look neater.

I liked the handlebars on the Delite, which are swept back a little.

The excellent stability could lead to ponderous steering, but the bike changed direction plenty fast enough for me.

Carrying luggage can be a problem with full-suss bikes.

Not so with the Delite - it has an integrated rack.

Mike uses a trunk bag, but the rack would also take panniers.

Full mudguards is another plus point, as is decent integrated lights.

For my type of riding, it is the ideal package.

If I had to replace the Rose tomorrow, I can't think of a better bike to do it than a Delite Hybrid.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The motor noise is never constant, being a bit quieter these past couple of days. Not a quiet as the AVE though.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
. Not a quiet as the AVE though.
The AVE is usually quieter than my Rose.

Noise seems to be a weak point of most crank drives.

Jacos

Jun 9, 2014
Thanks for the new review.
This week I will probably try the delite. My bikestore is gonna get one, do not know wich version. They only seem to have one bike in Holland for trying it out wich they send to dealers on request.
Hope it will be the derailleur version because thats the one I would buy I think. It seems like a bike to use on daily bases but can easily be used on the forest trails over here where I live.

Jacos

Jun 9, 2014
Hello,
Saturday I did a test ride on a black Delite HS Nuvinci. That is what R&M delivered to the bike store.
Beautiful bike. I tried it out and have to say it is very comfortable.
Did some normal paved road tracks and some forest trails.
I do not want a HS bike but 35km/hr is fun for a while! And than tried it with not going faster then max 25km/hr which is in the forest more than enough I think and okay on the streets too.
The bike feels secure, comfortable, sturdy, powerful and fun!
I am new too e-bikes and what I did not like so much is the noise that the bosch motor makes. It is quite loud. Hard to describe but it is sort of a grinding sound and enough to bring some hesitation here. Especially in the forest when I drove the bike and then put the motor off..........quiet........and motor on........grinding........
It is the most beautiful bike I have seen so far (much nicer in real then from a picture), ideal for what I want but the noise........it was louder also pedalling faster/higher frequenty in eco and tour, which I like and is better for my knees then pedalling with lower frequenty which was quieter.
It is expensive so I wonder if I can live with the noise. Will it be better after a while? The bike store said that a HS bike has no different sound then a non hs e-bike. Tried also a classic bosch motor with derailleur. It was a little quieter in some ways and not. A lot harder on my body/back though missing the rear shocks. Quite a difference.
Like to try also a Flyer with new generation motor to hear the difference.
Anyone have experience?
So I am a little mixed now, like the bike a lot, like the comfort and sturdyness, the way I sit on the bike, very well assembled too, nice big tires but the noise........mmmmm

Greetings, Co

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

There's thousands of different e-bikes to choose from. Some are totally silent. You can get every speed, power and torque. Why are you focusing on just two bikes?