Riese & Muller Delite 2

Jacos

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 9, 2014
Thanks for replying.
I sort of like this bike and like to have a sturdy 'trail' bike as well as 'going to work' bike.
There is not so much to try out actually. A lot of 'Holland' bikes though wich are more for city use.
I would like to try rear wheel drive though which seems to be almost silent but there are not many that sell those in a sporty model.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Riese & Muller Delite 2 - continued.

The bike has now reached 3000 miles without any problems, well almost no problems.

I do have an occasional concern when the Intuvia information display does not display any information. The power control, lights and the walk control all work and I discovered on a late return home in the dark that the back light still works, but the information goes out. I am at a loss to why, I have removed it from the bike and in the house switching on and off it may be showing information or not. Weird.

Apart from that the bike it just keeps going as good as ever. I have adjusted the suspension fore and aft to give a softer ride. Easily done just by turning a rotational dial, don't know why I didn't do earlier. It makes no difference to how it powers or the effort I have to put in, but much smoother over the undulating ground.

Today the Rohloff hub gear oil was changed as per recommendation, not a difficult task and the kit from Evans Cycles costs only £16.99. This contains flushing oil, lube, a syringe and a new screw plug. Just after this task was completed I rode it without the battery on, and it is even smoother now, the drag, whether it was imaginary or not, seems to have gone. The Rohloff has a running in period, unlike derailleur's that just seems to run out. Never have I managed 3000 miles without something needing attention on my old bikes.

So a bike that just lets you ride like a normal bike but with the help on the hills we always wanted. Not having to get into the right gear at the beginning of a hill, or squeezing the brakes so you can change gear or any failing's some members have had with theirs.

I ride country roads, bridle paths and on the Forestry Commission's woodland paths, so a fair mix. No city riding though. It's comfortable, holds the road well, brakes are incredible and it gives confidence when zooming down the steep parts, braking quickly to go into an acute turn. Could not do this on my old stuff. I'm getting quite brave.

The extra cost of this bike is now showing results, I am so pleased to have been able to have it and if anyone is thinking of having a bike in this price range, do give it some consideration. It is worth it.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Croxden, what a fantastic report, may I use it on our web pages?

I have heard that the Rohloff can take 10,000km before it is perfectly run in! Hence the reason people with Rohloff's keep them for life, transferring them from bike to bike as they go.

I see you also have a Birdy, now that's what I call brand loyalty, thanks for your business!

On a less pleasant note, Grace still have not paid refunded us for the MX1!! Not your problem of course but so annoying! Riese & Muller are fantastic, no problems and perfect service, we are proud to be working with them.

All the best

David

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Hi Croxden, what a fantastic report, may I use it on our web pages?
Yes, use it as you wish, I find that Riese & Muller to be worth the extra asked, and the extra service is a bonus.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
The advice on this forum is to try as many e-bikes as you can to ensure it is right for you.

So having ordered a Riese & Muller Delite 2, not only not riding one but never even seen one other than a photograph on their web page, I was a little apprehensive when arriving at Onbike's showroom.

I had no need to worry; the bike looked so good it was a delight to see it. The build quality is exceptional and the component parts being of the best available to suit the design of the bike. R & M's reputation is well deserved. It felt instantly right as soon as I got on, the bike could not have been better if it had been tailor made just for me.

Certainly it felt different to any other bike I have ridden. I can only explain it is more like a Harley Davidson than a Triumph or Norton and I've never ridden a motor bike, but that is how it seems.

I did check the Geometry dimensions and compared them with my existing bike and with the Grace MX that preceded it, so it was not a complete gamble.

I chose to have the Rohloff geared hub, not wanting derailleur or NuVinci and I am so glad. The gear range is great, better than my 3 x 8 derailleur on my non powered bike, but of course it is costly and a decision not taken lightly, but for me worth it.

It is Bosch mid motored so nothing different to most others but it is the Performance version and therefore has more torque. A test I did was a steep hill, about 20%, last ridden with the Grace MX. I thought at the time a little lower ratio would have been welcome as it was hard going. With the Delite I put it into fourth gear and high power and just breezed up. Whether it was a lower gear or the higher torque I don't know, maybe a touch of both but it made riding a real pleasure.

I have been wondering if it free wheeled as well as my other bikes, but the high winds have made it difficult to ascertain this. However, following a non powered rider in a sheltered lane I noticed he kept peddling, I had to brake. That was pleasing.

Changing gear with the twist grip takes a little getting used to, additional problem for me is that it works in the opposite direction to the NuVinci and in my old befuddled mind I can get it wrong when changing hurriedly when in panic mode. I hope to adapt. Gears change without any drama, having to ease off the pressure when changing down, changing up not always necessary. Always a smooth change and the control is clearly numbered.

I chose to have 26" wheels although 29" are also available. I have ridden 29er's and found I preferred the smaller size, seemingly a little more manovable on the tracks.

There is an active pivot swing arm to ensure optimal road contact along with air-shock front dampers. Hydraulic disc brakes stop the bike readily and the Schwalbe Marathon Deluxe tyres ensure a good ride on hard and rough surfaces.

Almost reaching 200 miles I thought I had better write something, especially having had someone give a nudge (thanks RobF).

So far, I can only conclude that, if funds permit and you want quality, you can't go wrong with this bike. Money can be saved by choosing to have derailleur gears instead of Rohloff, and of course NuVinci are also available.
great review, with hindsight i'd say the review after two months or so of owning a pedelecmay be more significant. other than that the only downside of rohloff's are that their so damn good (one ends up wanting to put one on every bike one has)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
It seems to have taken a while to get the last 1000 m, but the Delite has now reached over four thousand miles.

This is partly due to the odd wet days and I have been using the Birdy a little more.

No idea how many miles on that as no mileage recorder seems to work for long, the last replacement didn't go at all.

Anyway back to the Delite, what has needed adjustment, replacement or any other 'fettling' over the time I have had it? Answer - Nothing. I read of the little and sometimes not so little problems folk have with their bikes and am thankful I have not yet had such problems. It does seem the extra purchase cost that top spec. stuff and properly engineered and designed bikes are worth what is being asked.

I did have a puncture in the back tyre, fixed with Aldi's little foam/inflation canister. That was a month ago and over 400 miles and still holding the air in.

Perhaps R&M supply a Guardian Angel with their machines, it certainly seems so.

So far I have recharged the battery 180 times, rarely exhausting it and sometimes have forgotten to charge it and so had a shorter ride the next day, fortunately I don't rely on it to go to work other wise I would curse a bit I'm sure. Not sure if it's me or there is a drop in performance, I am feeling the need to up the power level sometimes. At least on an electric bike one can do this, the whole point of having one.

The Brooks saddle wasn't bedding in quick enough for me and so I bought a 'Black Widow' seat cover from Amazon and that has made a difference. I could have saved a bit buying it before the Brooks but would have still hankered for one, so I don't count it as a loss.

I do find the saddle on the Birdy to be fine, that has R&M embossed on it. A measure in my mind of the quality that Riese & Muller provide with their goods.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks for another fantastic report Croxden!

Riese and Muller bikes are really taking off in the UK, they are without doubt one of the best built electric bicycles available. The down side is that there is always at least a three week wait to get one!

Looking forward to hearing seeing the next instalment.

Is the Bosch display working consistently now? Coincidentally, they have just come back to me re the intermittent display issue. After a lot of back and forth, their considered opinion is there may be some slight corrosion on the pins between the screen and the holder?

All the best

David

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Is the Bosch display working consistently now? Coincidentally, they have just come back to me re the intermittent display issue. After a lot of back and forth, their considered opinion is there may be some slight corrosion on the pins between the screen and the holder?

David
With regard to the display problems I found the backlight remains on whilst the display characters are missing. This could be on or off the mount.

Also I noticed if I don't switch on until after a couple of minuets of refitting the battery it will work as intended, it can still switch off but no where near as much as it did. Only once has it refused to obey any command, could not up the power or change the display function. As with computers, turning it off and on again put everything right and remained so.

It would seem to be a failure to transmit back and forth to the battery unit on occasions, making me think there is some resistance in the circuitry. So some corrosion of the pins or the mating part could be the reason. I will have to get the magnifying glass out and have a good look to see if anything shows.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
It's taken a while but the Delite has now tipped the 5000 mile mark.

I have had my first part failure at 4080 miles; the bracket holding the front light had had enough of the vibration and broke in two.

I am not sure if this is the original part; R&M held back the sending of the bike as they were not happy with the light bracket and did not want me to have something that was not 'perfec'. OnBike said they had moved the front light as they didn't think that R&M's positioning was right. Regardless, I fashioned another from a piece of stainless and so it ought to last as it is really solid now.

I had a rear puncture at 3500 miles, I have done nothing other than put some air them (once) and it's still good so full marks to Aldi and their little foam canister that repaired and inflated the tyre.

One thing I have noticed recently is the battery is no where near what it was.

Last January, when I took delivery of the Delite I would get 8 plus miles before the first bar of the battery level indicator extinguished, now it is 5.3 miles. This is on the same run and power settings, I have ran the battery out at 20 to 22miles riding on Tour setting, fortunately the last mile is all down hill and can be done without the need to pedal.

I keep a log of what I do with the bike and it shows I have charged it 225 times over the year (less a couple of weeks) not many fully flattened. I am having to change my riding routes so I don't flatten the battery and now make more use of the range indicator. Interestingly, I would have just dropped to the last two bars but the range indicator said I had only 7 miles left. Using only the Eco setting to make it last and at 7 miles it starts to flash before being exhausted. It shows it works well.

Apart from that everything is honky dory, same tyres & chain. I have been reading on the forum of folks having a poor life on these items. I have never lubed the chain but I do give a rub with a cloth to make it shine. I feel that oil picks up and holds dirt that wears the chain more than it protects, I don't have derailleur's but do have a chain tensioner, that is quite clean and not bunged up with grunge like my old bike was.

I am still pleased with this bike, can't think of another I would swap for it, even two for mine. It is well worth the extra it costs, one of the best decisions I have ever made in all my years on this planet.

D

Deleted member 4366

Isn't the battery covered by warranty? How long have you had it?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Isn't the battery covered by warranty? How long have you had it?
12 months in a fortnight. They have a two year warranty but no doubt with conditions, a certain % of charge and number of charges.
I aim to visit OnBike soon and will have them test it.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Batteries, I have concluded, are a big fly in the ebike ointment.

Mine are still performing OK, but you cannot beat the laws of physics so no doubt they will conk out sooner or later.

Reactions: trex

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Now at 6000 plus miles and some failings are showing up, nothing major and an error on my part.

I had a squeal from the front brake when going on a level stretch. Lifting the bike from the floor and tried to spin the wheel I found it binding.

At home after taking the wheel off, I found it also needed new pads, hardly surprising at the mileage. Ordered four (it's cheaper) from Disco Brakes and they have quite an informative web site, I learnt things on there not normally mentioned on here.

They are easy to fit back & front but found a piston was stuck on the rear brake also. Not having any mineral oil or bleeding tools thought I would take the bike to the dealer who are better equipped to sort it out.

So a trip down the motorways to OnBike's new shop in Worcester, it's a little father than the old place near Kidderminster but if anything takes less time for me to get there.

I have had intermittent failure of the Intuvia displaying information, although all the controls operated and so there was no need for immediate attention. I had kept OnBike aware of what was happening so this was attended to readily and a replacement unit has resolved this problem.

I have commented on the battery had been showing signs of loosing its range and power.

I do feel foolish in not spotting the obvious; it's the sticking brakes that had the effects of limiting the output and making it hard work but now it's back to normal.

OnBike ran the diagnostic on the battery and it's performing as good as ever. So apologises to Bosch.

The Schwalbe Marathon deluxe tyres are performing well, with little wear showing on the back tyre. I would have worn out the Michelins on my Gary Fisher long ago.

Although mud defeats them I can ride on ice without problems. The path through Dimmingsdale is two miles long climbing steeper as it goes on. The snow had partially thawed and then frozen so I had a smooth icy path to ride on, not coming off once. People had trouble walking.

The care taken in servicing my bike show's the worth of a good outlet when buying an ebike pays dividends, I have had nothing but the best service, and the repair cost me nothing.

Oh, except for the additional bike bought to add to the collection. But that's temptation.

The bike is still worth the money asked.

Reactions: martin@onbike

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
It's been a while since I updated the Delite's progress.

Apart from a replacement Intuvia head that had a faulty screen and was replaced under warranty, it has in the last 8,560 miles (13775 km) been on original equipment apart from saddle changes. Currently I'm with a Brooks Swift that has lasted longer than any of the others, not that I wear them out of course; it's just a comfort issue.

Anyway, it's been back to OnBike in Worcester as it was overdue for a new chain and sprockets. That's more than most bikes manage I would think, but is testament to the life of the small Bosch chain ring that I so often read people have doubts on.

In all fairness, is was well worn but it only started jumping a few miles ago but having a Haibike I just swap over to that.

The rear sprocket (a Rohloff) is reversible or it would have been if, like me, it hadn't a few teeth missing, so that was also replaced.

Also, I had new brake pads, although not worn out completely it's sensibly to do a proper job at this stage.

The battery was checked too and is approaching half way through its life. I can tell a difference in the mileage compared to the Haibike battery, but not a lot.

It shows the quality of the parts chosen by Riese & Muller on their bikes, one reason it costs a bit more initially.

After the general servicing of the bike it is now as I remember it when brand new.

Even when standing in the shop with all the new stuff it still looked good.

There is no other bike I would exchange it for, it has performed so well, the rear suspension makes it so comfortable to ride over and against any other trekking bike I have tried.

Certainly one of the best decisions I have made in buying this bike.

I am not riding as much as I did the so next 8500 miles might take a little longer so it should see me out. One day a good buy for someone.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Hi Croxden, I don't know how but the Reise and Muller bikes somehow passed me by in March 2015 when I was looking for an electric mountain bike for my 20/26 mile round trip to work that can include 16 miles of cross country, and a need to carry stuff, and a preference for it to be carried in my Ortleib panniers.

I think if I had come across the Delite I might have been quite tempted. I really like the way they have included a full suspension design with a built in rack for panniers.

I am very happy with my Haibike sDuro hardtail Yamaha bike which I have attached a rack to for my panniers and has now passed 5000 almost trouble free miles in 20 months from new, but I have worn out a few rear cassettes in those miles.

I have experimented with gearing and my current 42 tooth chain ring and Shimano Alivio HG400 MTB 12-36t:12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36 cassette are proving the most durable combination so far with 1170 miles on the cassette now, although as you rightly say derailleur gears cannot compare to the durability of your Rohloff 14 speed hub. Although the 9 speed cassettes I use only cost around £15 to replace.

When you bought your bike was it possible to pair up the Rohloff 14 speed hub with the Gates Carbon belt?, for hopefully the ultimate in tough trouble free transmissions.

If it was, why did you go for a traditional chain and sprockets?

I wonder if Reise and Muller might consider offering a bike with the Yamaha crank drive system as I have found it absolutely bullet prove so far on my Haibike with a smooth and powerful power delivery that I actually prefered to the Bosch when I test road them both before I bought my bike.

It is also cheaper than the Bosch system and Haibike used it successfully to offer better value entry level models. The difference between the Haibike hard tail Bosch and the Yamaha powered one when I bought mine was £650 and a Yamaha powered Delite model could be quite a bit cheaper as a result without sacrificing any performance.

I also notice that you are quite close to a Reise and Muller dealer and I wanted to buy a bike from a dealer that was close to me so that they were on hand should I need them and I am not sure that there is a Reise and Muller dealer close to me in Surrey.

Anyway I thought I would say that now that I am aware of Reise and Muller and the Delite in particular that I can see the appeal of a high quality design that seems to solve some of the problems that I have not found solved in other bikes.

I will have to wear out my Haibike work horse first and that might take some time based on its durability so far, but at some point I might have to treat myself to a Delite.

Keep updating us with how you are getting on as all the experiences you have both good and bad help to build up a picture of how the bike performs over time, and thanks for what you have written so far.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

lark

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 1, 2016
USA
When you bought your bike was it possible to pair up the Rohloff 14 speed hub with the Gates Carbon belt?, for hopefully the ultimate in tough trouble free transmissions.
I may be mistaken, but I do not believe RM - even now - offers a Rohloff/Gates combo. The Gates option is only for a Nuvinci hub.

I would like to be wrong on this, so if I am, please let me know!

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
It shows the quality of the parts chosen by Riese & Muller on their bikes, one reason it costs a bit more initially.
Without wishing to sound in any way negative I don't think the sprockets will have been any different in quality than any other Bosch bike. You certainly got your monies worth out of them though.

I am not riding as much as I did the so next 8500 miles might take a little longer so it should see me out. One day a good buy for someone.
I hope there are many many years left for you and the bike.