rims and Marathon Plus

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I and all the family have been riding Marathon Plus for many years, including off-road, thorns etc, with just 2 punctures for my son and none for the rest of us over all that time.

We have just electrified our tandem with the Woosh XF07 front hub kit. We knew it was a bit less powerful than recommended but it has done what we need very well. (We may change it for an SWX02 rear and move the XF07 to one of our bikes; the SWX02 was not available in the right wheel size when we ordered.)

However, the rim that came with the XF07 does not seem to like Marathon Plus. The Plus Tour I fitted originally (that was already on the tandem) came off the rim even before I fitted the wheel to the bike. The brand new Plus blew off (luckily in the garage) about 1 month in. I was suspicious by how easy it was to fit, fitting the Marathon Plus is usually notoriously hard work. I've just fitted another tyre I had around and will see how that goes, but I really prefer the Plus because of the puncture resistance.

Has anyone seen anything similar? Does anyone have any suggestions?

grazie

Pedelecer
May 21, 2016
nr Canterbury, UK
Certain tyre and rim combinations can be notoriously hard to fit, but I've never heard of it being easy with Marathon Plus's. This or popping off without any strain is usually a sign of a poor quality or damaged (less likely) tyre.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Simon,

Which size is the tyre?

700C is used on two different tyre size: 28" and 29" tyres

The rim on the motor wheel is 28" ISO-622.

We use mostly 28 x 1.5 tyres (40-622).
If in doubt, select 28" tyres.

Marathon Plus:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-plus-smartguard-rigid-road-tyre/
Tyres were both 37-622, 28x1.40, 700x35C. A true 40-622 would not fit under the mudguards. The one I have just put on is an old Specialized Crossroads 38-622, 700x38C and there is very little room. Stephen

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Stephen,

What tyre are you using on it at the moment?
Please email support@wooshbikes.co.uk some pictures of the marking on the MP tyre that gave you problem. I fitted a Marathon Plus 28-622 tyre to that rim a couple of months ago and a Kenda road tyre 28 x 1.5 two days ago to that rim.

Tony

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
.........? Does anyone have any suggestions?
I would recommend that you inflate the tyre to about 5 psi after fitting and then go around the tyre with your hands and eyes, checking that the tyre line close to the edge is parallel to the rim and also pull at the tyre (almost like massaging, making sure that the wired part of tyre is firmly in the groove of the rim (clinched).
Then fully inflate and recheck.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
@Sturmey Thanks for the response and a good comment. I already do that, in fact now a bit paranoid, so I pump to a few psi, check seating, pump to 1/2, check, pump to just below lowest recommended pressure, check, pump to pressure I want, and check. (I thought I'd replied yesterday but it seems that I didn't)