Road climber in Pyrenees looking for off road e-bike ideas

LouiseSJPP

Just Joined
Not club-fit, but normally, I'm road cycling three times a week in the lower Pyrenees where I'm fortunate enough to live, maybe 30 to 40km, 800 to 1000m climb, occasionally 50 to 60km, 3000m + climb.

Partly so my husband can ride with me (road biking is not his sport), party for a change, partly because recently I've suffered a back injury which may limit my fitness, I'm considering off-road e-bikes for the two of us to spend days in the hills together. Not gnarly sport, more like the walks we would take in the hills but with more scope: a full days' gentle activity.

I've no idea how to star choosing / trying so I'm hoping this forum may help.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Unless you are willing to carry at least one spare battery, I don't think that you are realistically going to reach you target goal.

Okay, the three examples shown below were off road over what could be considered arduous conditions, but just a guide, the first ride depleated exactly one battery, and the other two rides shown required the use of a second battery. I also consider myself to be of reasonable fitness, and only the lowest possible power settings were used through out.
The bike used for these climbs, was a KTM Macina Lycan fitted with a Bosch CX motor and a 500wh battery.

But to balance things, this 86.7km ride with an elevation gain of just 1,570m was completed using my pedal mtb, and other than the last 5km, which did for me, the ride was effortlessly easy, but I suspect would still possibly have required a second battery if I had used an ebike.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Battery life and range a side any eMTB with factory middrive (bosch, Shimano, Brose Yamaha) should give you hours of off road riding on 500wh battery. You have choice between cheaper hardtails or dearer more capable full suspension eMTB. If you are into fast downhill single tracks or climbing quicking then FS is way to go, leisure riding on gentler tracks then hardtail should be OK.

Would recommend same drive system and batteries so you swap or get extra batteries. Bikes can be different designs and brands. NB some batteries are not as easy as others when comes to swapping.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Not club-fit, but normally, I'm road cycling three times a week in the lower Pyrenees where I'm fortunate enough to live, maybe 30 to 40km, 800 to 1000m climb, occasionally 50 to 60km, 3000m + climb.

Partly so my husband can ride with me (road biking is not his sport), party for a change, partly because recently I've suffered a back injury which may limit my fitness, I'm considering off-road e-bikes for the two of us to spend days in the hills together. Not gnarly sport, more like the walks we would take in the hills but with more scope: a full days' gentle activity.

I've no idea how to star choosing / trying so I'm hoping this forum may help.
Bonjour Louise,
I know you area well, I have walked it quite a bit and live just down the road in Saint Jean de Luz. Recently I have seen quite a few people on KTM and Haibike e-mountain bikes down your way. In St Jean de Luz/Ciboure you have M. Lapiz who will be able to let you test ride Giant eMTBs. He has the ideal testing ground - climb to the top of the hill in Ciboure to test on gradients close to those you know!

I am going to convert my trike for road riding in Navarra with similar distances and slopes in mind, battery size is the defining parameter. Last week I rode from St Jean to Zugarramurdi unpowered and my gearing was on the limit, you won't have those gearing issues with an eMTB. Saint Jean PdP is on my list of places to ride to once I have a motor.

Check out EddiePJs posts on riding in the Alps, he is the man here with the knowledge of your kind of terrain.

LouiseSJPP

Just Joined
Thank you, @EddiePJ for the specific trail info, that makes it much easier to understand what th capability could be.

@Trevormonty, I think for comfort alone, I'd be looking at FS from the start. I'm currently nursing two prolapsed lumbar discs, so hard tailing over rocky ground isn't on my preferred activity list!

@anotherkiwi, I think I'll be paying M Lapiz a visit early spring, then :) My current road bike is a Giant and I'm delighted with it. When you head out my way, look out for the sentier des contrabandiers to get off road.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Baigorri -> Erratzu could be fun, I am more of an on road person. We have friends who have a borda near Amaiur so I have a few rides planned around there. Definitely climbing up from here to Gorramakil next spring if I have enough batteries!