Rohloff/gearbox question/s!

Earthskyouch20

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2016
Hampshire
Ok, First question; anyone used a Rohloff hub on an e-mtb instead of defailleurs? I'm thinking it would be much more suitable.

Secondly; can you buy frame and fork (and motor) only packages instead of complete bikes?

Thirdly; I've read that front derailleurs don't work that well with the added power of the motor and they're developing emtb specific versions. Why aren't they just going the whole mile and fitting the bikes with gearboxes instead?! The g boxx system been around for years on DH bikes. Weight much less of an issue with a motor!

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
I have had a rohloff hub on a normal mountain bike.

In fact I have had two!
One fitted to a hardtail, and the other to a Nicolai full suspension bike.

In my opinion it is better suited to a hardtail due to the complication of running a change n tensioner, which is just like a dummy rear mech on the full suspension bike.

All the weight is centred in the hub, which does affect the handling somewhat, but it just takes a little getting used to.

The main concern that I can think of is the amount of torque that the ebike will generate.
There is a restriction on the minimum gear ratio due to the torque a rider will generate in climbing, therefore, I think it's a non starter for an ebike.

It certainly is a more convenient method for a hardtail gear system , but it is quite costly.
If a ebike could be made to work with it, it would also negate the slight increased drag which is in the system also.

Reactions: Earthskyouch20

Earthskyouch20

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2016
Hampshire
I have had a rohloff hub on a normal mountain bike.

In fact I have had two!
One fitted to a hardtail, and the other to a Nicolai full suspension bike.

In my opinion it is better suited to a hardtail due to the complication of running a change n tensioner, which is just like a dummy rear mech on the full suspension bike.

All the weight is centred in the hub, which does affect the handling somewhat, but it just takes a little getting used to.

The main concern that I can think of is the amount of torque that the ebike will generate.
There is a restriction on the minimum gear ratio due to the torque a rider will generate in climbing, therefore, I think it's a non starter for an ebike.

It certainly is a more convenient method for a hardtail gear system , but it is quite costly.
If a ebike could be made to work with it, it would also negate the slight increased drag which is in the system also.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Rohloff hubs are fitted to Riese and Muller ebikes which have the Bosch CX motor.

Combined ride and motor torque is not a problem provided the Rohloff is run within the stated front ring/rear ring number of teeth of limits.

Earthskyouch20

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2016
Hampshire
Hi, yes, me also had the hub on a hardtail 69er now on a full sus bionicon. It works flawlessly on mine which is why I wondered if it would suit an e bike. I hear traditional mechs struggle. The two problems I foresee are that you have to pause pedalling to change gear, dont know if ebike cuts out immediately you stop pedalling? Second I'm looking at full sussers with the boost hub standard and not sure if the rohloff can be adapted to that?

D

Deleted member 4366

Ok, First question; anyone used a Rohloff hub on an e-mtb instead of defailleurs? I'm thinking it would be much more suitable.
I think it's too heavy for a normal electric bike. It's probably better suited to high power (illegal) ones.

Secondly; can you buy frame and fork (and motor) only packages instead of complete bikes?
You can buy anything you want. have a look on Ebay

Thirdly; I've read that front derailleurs don't work that well with the added power of the motor and they're developing emtb specific versions. Why aren't they just going the whole mile and fitting the bikes with gearboxes instead?! The g boxx system been around for years on DH bikes. Weight much less of an issue with a motor!
When you use a hub-motor, they work better because there's less stress on the chain.

Why make things complicated. Normal derailleur gears are cheap, lightweight, efficient and work perfectly. What is there to improve?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Great info, thanks! When you say 'stated' is thay by rohloff or bosch? Do you know where I might find those sprocket sizes?
Rohloff publish recommended teeth combinations - have a root around their website.

Slight complication with the Bosch motor is the multiplying gear at the front, so you will have to do some arithmetic to work out the equivalent front ring size.

Earthskyouch20

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2016
Hampshire
I think it's too heavy for a normal electric bike. It's probably better suited to high power (illegal) ones.

When you use a hub-motor, they work better because there's less stress on the chain.

Why make things complicated. Normal derailleur gears are cheap, lightweight, efficient and work perfectly. What is there to improve?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

Increased chain life because the chain is not being derailed all the time.

Increased chain life due to the higher line attracting less road dirt.

The ability to change gear while standing still.

Reliable changing because the indexing is inside the Rohloff hub.

Fewer cogs makes for a cleaner back end.

Simple sequential changing on one shifter - less clutter on the bars and no duplicated ratios.

But I'm sure you are right, apart from the above, what has the Rohloff gear hub ever done for us?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Tougher chains as they are larger.
Simpler chain lines.
Even stepped gears.
Don't clog with mud.
The derailleur never gets caught in the spokes causing rear wheel skids.
They haven't done much for us at all

Earthskyouch20

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2016
Hampshire
Thanks for the answers!
Regarding derailleurs, years of muddy mountain biking has shown that as soon as it gets dirty a derailleur set up starts to fail. Shifting goes out or stops altogether. Chains snap. With the rohloff being completely sealed it works no matter what. Only downside is its heavy and expensive!

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks for the answers!
Regarding derailleurs, years of muddy mountain biking has shown that as soon as it gets dirty a derailleur set up starts to fail. Shifting goes out or stops altogether. Chains snap. With the rohloff being completely sealed it works no matter what. Only downside is its heavy and expensive!
Even the oft-quoted weight disadvantage is not quite what it seems.

To get the equivalent range, you need a cassette, rear mech, front mech, three rings at the front, and a longer chain.

The weight of that little lot is about the same as a Rohloff hub, one ring at the back, one at the front, and the (shorter) chain.

Of course, the weight of the Rohloff is all at the back, so there is a balance disadvantage.

Even that is largely irrelevant in a touring application, although it will be more keenly felt on a mountain bike, particularly one being used to its full potential by a skilled rider.

Earthskyouch20

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2016
Hampshire
Even the oft-quoted weight disadvantage is not quite what it seems.

To get the equivalent range, you need a cassette, rear mech, front mech, three rings at the front, and a longer chain.

The weight of that little lot is about the same as a Rohloff hub, one ring at the back, one at the front, and the (shorter) chain.

Of course, the weight of the Rohloff is all at the back, so there is a balance disadvantage.

Even that is largely irrelevant in a touring application, although it will be more keenly felt on a mountain bike, particularly one being used to its full potential by a skilled rider.

D

Deleted member 4366

Increased chain life because the chain is not being derailed all the time.

Increased chain life due to the higher line attracting less road dirt.
My £8 Ebay chain has done 4000 miles with derailleur gears so far, and seems to have plenty of life left in it. How far would it go if I changed to a Rohlhoff?

Last edited by a moderator:

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Tougher chains as they are larger.
Simpler chain lines.
Even stepped gears.
Don't clog with mud.
The derailleur never gets caught in the spokes causing rear wheel skids.
They haven't done much for us at all
the only 2 cents I would add is that (and I've had two rohloffs for five years or more, one on a Brompton, one on an old Kona fire mountain hybrid with raised stem I use for commuting) a rohloff is so good in its own right it may put you off pedelecing, always having exactly the right gear ratio available at the click of a switch can make muscle power seem quite enough

Related Articles

Advertisers