Rookie error? Decreased front sprocket

Jerrymond

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2017
Huddersfield
I may have committed a schoolboy error. I took my chain off to clean the other night and decided to clean my front sprocket/chainring area with a spray degreaser. Didn't put any lube on should I have? What problems could the degreaser have caused and how do i fix them? On my ride today didn't feel as smooth as usual though I might be imagining it. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Last edited:

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Hi Jerrymond,

I am no Ebike mechanic although I did do a course on bike maintenance so happy to maintain my own bike.

I washed my Cube the other day with the Bosch motor.

Like you I took the chain off to clean as much as I could as I didn’t want to go too daft with the degreaser around the motor area, so I just took it easy around the motor.

If you were over keen with the degreaser around the front sprocket, you may have cleaned some of the lubrication from the bearings behind it.

However you said you didn’t put lube on the chain. So I am assuming you cleaned and de-greased that also. I would lubricate the chain as normal; some of this will lube the sprocket as well. Then see how it feels.

It should make quite a difference.

If it is still rough, I would thing about investigating the crank bearing on the sprocket side, but you might need to take it apart… or to a bike shop.

I always re-lube my chain after cleaning the bike.

For the same reason you said, I have now bought the lock tool to remove the front sprocket, so I can clean it AWAY from the bike, that way I don’t risk spraying anything too near the motor.

Don’t panic till you lubricate the chain and give it a few turns, you will be surprised how much difference that makes.

Jerrymond

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2017
Huddersfield
Thanks for the reply ballynose. I wasn't very clear first I got the thread title wrong then I forgot to say that I have in fact lubed the chain. If pedaling down hill slower than I'm moving so not engaging the motor at all the chain feels very smooth.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Another test to do is, if you can, put the bike on a stand, or at least lift the rear wheel off the ground. Then turn the pedals with your hand and see how it feels.

Then take the chain off and repeat, this way you are only turning the motor and cranks, minus chain and rear cassette…. Any difference !!

This will point to where the problem may be.

You can also take the chain off and get on the bike and pedal, obviously you won’t go anywhere but you will feel the pedals and motor on their own.

Also with the chain off, you might hear if things sound bit rough, as the crank bearing might need attention.

It’s just a case of eliminating one thing at a time.

Good Luck

• Useful
Reactions: Jerrymond

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
What problems could the decreaser have caused and how do i fix them?
Excessive use of a decreaser may cause sprocket shrinkage ;)
On a serious note,my Bosch/Cube dosent like running dry atall, I oil the chain atleast every 100miles

• :D

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I keep degreaser well clear motor, just clean chainring area with brush and rag. You can still degrease chain with it removed from chainring just a bit more work. Some experts recommend never degreasing just wipe of excess dirt best you can and relube others swear by degreasing. The non degreasing approach is differently less work. Still need to remove dirt from idlers and cassette. Cassette can be done on its own with wheel removed.

NB cost of replacing/repairing motor because of bearing failure from degreasing will pay for lot of dirty chains and cassettes that wear out early.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
You didn't say what bike or motor you have Jerrymond, it might help, but my guess is that you might have to replace the crank bearing which MAY be the problem.

Do the tests and checks before you worry about the bearings, after all the bearings have a "water resistant seal" to protect them from damage, so you might be OK.

Taking into account the fact that the motor and bearings are water resistant, and therefore "sealed" you would have to have been pretty agressive with the degreaser to damage the bearings.

If after checks you think it might be the bearing causing the problem, you can give it a light spray with lubricant like WD40 (don't go mad). If this improves the problem, they are lacking lubricant. If this turn out to be the case, you will need to replace the bearings, as they are generally sealed.

If you don't know how to do this I would get professional help, otherwise you could do even more damage.

Hope this helps.

• Useful

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Jerrymond

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2017
Huddersfield
Thanks everyone I think I may have over reacted everything seems much better now after lube also spotted that my rear disc was rubbing so sorted that too.

Reactions: argoose

Related Articles

Advertisers