Running lights via battery

DuncanDK

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2015
Hi
I have an Orbea Katu 20 mini bike and it came with a dynamo front hub and matching front/rear lights.

Now, I have substituted the front wheel for a conversion kit (front hub motor) and I wish to connect the front/rear light to the controller. This should enable me to power the lights via the battery, now that the dynamo is gone.

The original hub and lights:
  • FRONT LIGHT Joss Spanninga Kendo XDAS Dinamo
  • REAR LIGHT Spanninga Pixeo
  • DYNAMO Shimano DH-3D37-NT, 6V Dynamo 3.0W

Do I need to buy different lights in order to use the batter and turn it on/off via the display?
Can I use this connection to power the lights from the battery?
(It is the only unnamed connection. Will the lights function this way?)
s06s-250w-torque-simulation-sine-wave-controller-ebike-kit.png

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
What does your multi-meter say?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
As AK says, you need to measure the voltage on that plug, and test if it switches via the display unit. However, if it is for lights it's not likely to be 6v.

DuncanDK

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2015
The plug meassures in at just sub 5V.

It is a constant current and it is not affected by turning on/off lights via the display. (Maybe this is just a matter of finding the correct setting in the LCD-display)

Now, I can see that my question actually consists of two...

1) The plug voltage, which is now identified

2) Can I use the dynamo lights?
As I understand, the answer is "no". Dynamo lights use a different kind of current than battery powered lights. The Spanninga light comes in a XDA-version for dynamos and an XE-version for electric/battery powering.

Do I understand this correct?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
5v sounds like a control signal of some sort, not a light output. You're right though, that plug isn't mentioned anywhere.
Hopefully some one who has one will be along soon!

BG bicycle

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Bulgaria
That cable isn’t to utilise lights? As all the cables are with identification was this conclusion based from a manufacturer’s guidance?

DuncanDK

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2015
I have e-mailed the customer service in the online shop where I bought the controller and asked them what this plug is used for.

They haven’t replied yet.

Being of an impatient nature, I posted my question here hoping that one of you would have the answer.

I shall follow up on my e-mail to the customer service later this evening.