S12S Controller Size

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Recently ordered an LCD3 to try.
To top the order up with other bits and forgetting at the time I already had one in the garage I ordered an S12S controller. It came today and it's mahoosive. Now I need a truck size bike to try it on.
Any Ideas why the new one would be sooo big?
Compare the sizes to the (small?) 26a one I already had. (An S06S is tiny compared to these)IMAG0057.jpg

Reactions: selrahc1992
D

Deleted member 4366

What's worse is that it's nearly empty inside! Have a look.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
What's worse is that it's nearly empty inside! Have a look.
Reminds me of some of the earlier DVD players on the market.
I opened a huge cased player up, to find that it was mostly air inside too. Although, I do think the reasons for the earlier machines being this way, was so that they didn't look too dissimilar from the VHS players.
Consumers could be a bit afraid of change in those days.

As for your larger controller awol, maybe the larger real estate of the casing will help with heat dissipation.

Last edited:

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Yep full of air !! For anyone interested here they are opened.
They are different though, the new one has 2 shunts and the pcb is about an inch longer. I take it they will still be the same thing and the LCD3 will work with both? No wonder they charged extra shipping, this thing needed it's own plane.Untitled.png

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Where did you buy from awol, and I take it an LCD3 is a display console?

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Where did you buy from awol, and I take it an LCD3 is a display console?
I got it from BMSbattery and yes the LCD3 is a display console which is mounted in the center of the handlebar with seperate buttons.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Recently ordered an LCD3 to try.
To top the order up with other bits and forgetting at the time I already had one in the garage I ordered an S12S controller. It came today and it's mahoosive. Now I need a truck size bike to try it on.
Any Ideas why the new one would be sooo big?
Compare the sizes to the (small?) 26a one I already had. (An S06S is tiny compared to these)View attachment 10780
Second that,I got same size s12sm from bmsbattery,anyone know where to get mahoosive enclosure for it?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I haven't looked but surely bmsb sell one ?

Reactions: kikgoxx

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
As for your larger controller awol, maybe the larger real estate of the casing will help with heat dissipation.
Saying that made me think they may have had problems in the past with them overheating so have seperated the hotter parts a bit more also shared the current between 2 shunts and give more air inside and more metal casing for the heat.
I've got just the thing to mount it on, nobody will notice it.
FDYV7IFG0AMH2WX.LARGE.jpg

Reactions: Fordulike
D

Deleted member 4366

You can have the controller on the outside and the wires on the inside, which is what I did on the one below. Just make some brackets to hold the controller under the crossbar and run the wires into a toolbag or box to keep the connectors waterproof.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
You can have the controller on the outside and the wires on the inside, which is what I did on the one below. Just make some brackets to hold the controller under the crossbar and run the wires into a toolbag or box to keep the connectors waterproof.

thanks, yes, first i thought that's beyond my fabricating skill, then i thought cutting similar battery enclsure with port for s12s in coroplast might be easy, but im sticking it to a raleigh 20, not diamond frame, and want to leave rear rack free for baskets,so a b it stumped for elegant place tohide it all

D

Deleted member 4366

Are your brakes going to be good enough for a motor powered by a S12S controller? Normally, they're not enough for pedal power on its own.

Reactions: Alan Quay

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Are your brakes going to be good enough for a motor powered by a S12S controller? Normally, they're not enough for pedal power on its own.
Thanks for thinking about it, yes I am replacing front fork with cheap suspension fork to get vbrake mounts,and am using disc brake converter on rear (sadly couldn't get disc brake suspension fork),raleigh 20 brakes is nonexistent in original form,as im sure you know,in semi assembled state I did brief run,tops out around 23 mph which is great for me,so not so much high speed as acceleration which will mean frequent heavy braking