Saddles - for gents of a certain age . . .

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
Not sure where else to post this - I am guessing that the demographic of e-bikes includes a fair %age of middle aged men like myself. I found a couple of years back that my bikes with the sporty saddles (Flite, Fizik etc) were getting less comfy than they used to be - went through a number of saddles before settling on Selle SMP which suit me perfectly https://www.sellesmp.com/en/saddles/tourism.html

The SMP Well is quite firm, racy and a bit pricey for a commuter. The SMP Extra still fairly narrow (unlike TRK) but with a bit of padding and perfect for trips without shorts. Personally found the SMP TRK a bit wide for my liking but I know others like it

What still amazes me is the number of folks who ask me about the saddles (because they look odd) and clearly don't know about them - so I thought I would post here in case they might help you - and maybe to even have a thread about this most overlooked of bike components

Having tried similar cut away saddles like the various Specialized (too sporty) Selle Italia (classy but not so comfy) and Adamo (pricey and plain wierd) the SMPs were the best for me - obviously your mileage may vary, also interested to hear what else is out there

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Not sure where else to post this - I am guessing that the demographic of e-bikes includes a fair %age of middle aged men like myself. I found a couple of years back that my bikes with the sporty saddles (Flite, Fizik etc) were getting less comfy than they used to be - went through a number of saddles before settling on Selle SMP which suit me perfectly https://www.sellesmp.com/en/saddles/tourism.html

The SMP Well is quite firm, racy and a bit pricey for a commuter. The SMP Extra still fairly narrow (unlike TRK) but with a bit of padding and perfect for trips without shorts. Personally found the SMP TRK a bit wide for my liking but I know others like it

What still amazes me is the number of folks who ask me about the saddles (because they look odd) and clearly don't know about them - so I thought I would post here in case they might help you - and maybe to even have a thread about this most overlooked of bike components

Having tried similar cut away saddles like the various Specialized (too sporty) Selle Italia (classy but not so comfy) and Adamo (pricey and plain wierd) the SMPs were the best for me - obviously your mileage may vary, also interested to hear what else is out there
I changed over to a Lidl saddle - and it is very acceptable. And cheap.

The original was surely only included as a token "it isn't a bike if it hasn't got a saddle". I tried a Selle (would have to check which model) which was much better but when I saw them come into Lidl, I got one as a spare. Tried it out and found it better.

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
I’ve tried a fair few and settled on a fabric scoop in the end . Tried several models from Evans cycles and returned them no quibble at all. Tried the specialized looked like it should have been comfy but wasn’t for me .

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
+1 for the Lidl trekking saddle. At the price it was worth a shout, it's now done about 2000 miles.
Flirted with buying a Brookes, but my tight fisted side wouldn.t let me press the buy button.

• Agree
Reactions: Gringo and daveboy

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
After going through many saddles and finding them all uncomfortable I bit the bullet and bought a Brooks B17 with a cutout. It was also uncomfortable for about 6 weeks but now that I have broken it in (or its broken me in - I'm not sure which) I find it hugely comfortable.

Also look up measuring your sitz bones to ensure you buy the correct width.

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
+1 for Brooks leather saddles. B17 is a great choice for normal road riding - fitted as standard on Moustache E Bikes costing @ £3.5K. I use one of those on my Brompton.They are a favourite for serious tour riders. On my Hybrid- used for a canal towpath which is basically just hardcore, as the surface has gone, I use a B66 with two large rear springs, suspension seat post not required. The B66 is fantastic on any surface but was developed by Brooks for cobbled streets. I am a heavy rider and I found both saddles were a massive improvement from day one and they get better as they conform to your shape.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
interesting stuff, thanks folks - its clear saddles are very personal things

I guess my intent here was to highlight / explore saddles that work well for folks who might worry about Perineum/nerve damage and gents with Prostate concerns - there are saddles designed to help, like SMP, and others maybe just happen to be good at this (Lidl seem to be?)

After a lifetime of cycling on "racing" saddles I now live with the consequences - be nice to help others avoid that

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
interesting stuff, thanks folks - its clear saddles are very personal things

I guess my intent here was to highlight / explore saddles that work well for folks who might worry about Perineum/nerve damage and gents with Prostate concerns - there are saddles designed to help, like SMP, and others maybe just happen to be good at this (Lidl seem to be?)

After a lifetime of cycling on "racing" saddles I now live with the consequences - be nice to help others avoid that
Interesting that you have added the "P" word.
There dont seem to be many of us airing the subject so perhaps most members are free of this affliction, but unfortunately I am not one of them. My research has suggested that cycling has a negative affect on BPH sufferers but in my case the opposite is true and after a two hour bike ride I could "P" for England regardless of saddle type.

• :D
Reactions: mike killay

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
One. more vote for Brooks b17 and also the lidl saddle

Both crap in rain mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Mine don't get wet in the rain... my bum tends to cover all the saddle...[emoji849]
[emoji23]

I should explain I commute all year round. The Brooks leather and easily ruined with too much water.

The lidl seems to act like a sponge and hold water against ones posterior . Totally negating even the the best waterproof gear

I have to commute in shirt/trousers and perfect waterproofing is essential due to 2 showers , 600 staff, between 20 and 60 bikers per day

I am about to retire the lidl for my slightly less comfy Charge Pan saddle for winter commuting . The Brooks lives on my non electric , summer time only bike now

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The lidl seems to act like a sponge and hold water against ones posterior . Totally negating even the the best waterproof gear
My experience is that the Lidl saddle I have is fine in the rain. I too cycle in all weathers - saving grace for me being modest distance. But in some weather, even under shelter, my bike does get rained on. Not once have I felt it to be sponge-like.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
My experience is that the Lidl saddle I have is fine in the rain. I too cycle in all weathers - saving grace for me being modest distance. But in some weather, even under shelter, my bike does get rained on. Not once have I felt it to be sponge-like.
Hmm, maybe mine has a defective covering ? It's memory foam underneath which is, by definition, sponge like

Mine absorbs and gives our water given enough water input .

After all if you compress and decompress memory foam it absorbs whatever is closest , right ? Either air or water depending

If no one else has this issue I'll buy again . But mine is South Coast commute of 7 miles each way. The wind down here can drive water most places !

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hmm, maybe mine has a defective covering ? It's memory foam underneath which is, by definition, sponge like

Mine absorbs and gives our water given enough water input .

After all if you compress and decompress memory foam it absorbs whatever is closest , right ? Either air or water depending

If no one else has this issue I'll buy again . But mine is South Coast commute of 7 miles each way. The wind down here can drive water most places !

Perhaps the simplest answer...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zacro-Large-Exercise-Bike-Seat/dp/B06Y3ZN174/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1539626948&sr=8-13&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=waterproof+saddle+cover+bike

al.b

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2018
lancashire
Well this is a subject close to my heart. I am at that age and a big overweight chap also with prostate enlargement(awaiting surgery) The saddle supplied with my wisper was a Sell Royal(gel) and I have had no problems at all. BUT, I also used a padded pair of shorts under my togs and touch wood have had no issues at all from bum wear!! As many members have said its personal money? or a sore bum?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Well this is a subject close to my heart. I am at that age and a big overweight chap also with prostate enlargement(awaiting surgery) The saddle supplied with my wisper was a Sell Royal(gel) and I have had no problems at all. BUT, I also used a padded pair of shorts under my togs and touch wood have had no issues at all from bum wear!! As many members have said its personal money? or a sore bum?
Are you bring given access to the new steam therapy that's being rolled out?
No saddle problems after that...