Safety advantages or disadvantages of e-bikes over conventional bikes?

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
To be honest I think all cars should be banned from the road as there are so many careless and illegal drivers out there, its quite shocking.

Fixed it for ya :D

torquayite

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 11, 2010
safety

I am horrified by the way drivers of motor vehicles drive so close to me when they overtake.
I believe that in France, if a motorist hits a bicyclist, it is automatically assumed it is his fault. This explains why one is treated with much more respect when cycling over there.
I am also disgusted with the stupidity of 50 yard Cycle Tracks, of which we have many in Torquay.
Any junction repair or road scheme and in goes a mini-cycle track, bright green, very pretty, and for just a little further than I can spit !
Then, nothing, or perhaps a little white line close to the pavement, if you are lucky, creating a space to collect all the leaves and rubbish, which is reputedly a cycle track !
I have written to my MP asking him to bring similar cyclist-protection into his portfolio of things to do. Please do the same.
And can I have details of that mirror ? I tried one on a stalk and it vibrated so much one could not have seen a double decker overtaking ! Peter.

D

Deleted member 4366

This mirror is a little more expensive, but a lot better.
Cateye - Mirrors - Bm-500g
I have both types on different bikes. The oval one gives more view behind and stays in position better. My friend has the round type and after he set it in position, he filled it with hot-melt glue to keep it in position and is happy with the results.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The 300G is for the larger diameter drop handlebar with insert to suit and won't fit many other bar types. The 500G is for the smaller diameter bars more commonly found on e-bikes.

dgncsk

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2017
Ankara Turkey
heavy, harder to carry. very dangerous to park on stand when your kids are sitting on it. you must never leave them on bike. but easy to ride for a longer distance, easy to climb hills or gives you chance to rest without stopping.

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
One possible safety disadvantage that has become apparent (at least to me) recently involves the cut-off of assistance. I tend to ride at or around the 16mph limit of assistance and there have been several occasions where I've needed to put a little spurt on to get out of trouble and had that horrible feeling of everything getting immediately heavier and not being able to....

I don't really need to go any faster consistently, I just need a 2-3 second burst of extra go occasionally - something like a nitrous button :D

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I don't really need to go any faster consistently, I just need a 2-3 second burst of extra go occasionally - something like a nitrous button :D
Uh-oh! I hope sw hasn't read this post or we are in trouble :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: ttxela

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Had an accident on my e-mtb in February and came off at lot worse than friend on standard bike. Both riding side by side and hit black ice. Damage to me and my bike much worse then him and his bike. On reflection and talking to bike mechanic this was mostly down to weight of bike.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
One area ebikes are safer is uphill in traffic. With lower differential speed between car and bike, the driver has more reaction time. This is why I always climb at max speed/power on busy roads.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
One area ebikes are safer is uphill in traffic. With lower differential speed between car and bike, the driver has more reaction time. This is why I always climb at max speed/power on busy roads.
Um Trevor - NZ busy or France/Spain border busy? ;) I know the population has gone up a bit since I left but it isn't exactly what one would call dense...

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Disadvantage: an ebike has a lot of kinetic energy if you accidentally whack it into a toddler's skull. People worry about hurting themselves but I worry about the third-party pitfalls. That applies to any bike but ebikes are heavy.

Advertisers