sahel compact impulse 8 or winora radius

surfthewave

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 2, 2017
London
Hi, you may see from my other thread asking opinions about folding bikes. After some research (and tested two bikes) today I've decided to up my budget, and narrowed down to these two

sahel compact impulse 8
winora radius

Do you guys have any experience of them? Any comments would be welcome.

surfthewave

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 2, 2017
London
I should add.. the reason I decided to up my budget after testing two bikes, is that I don't really like the "unnatural feel" of the cheaper bikes. I guess it is due to the lack of a torque sensor. Plus I like the idea of a hub gear, and hydraulic brakes... hence there are not that many options out there, since I am only interested in 20 in wheel ones.

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
I should add.. the reason I decided to up my budget after testing two bikes, is that I don't really like the "unnatural feel" of the cheaper bikes. I guess it is due to the lack of a torque sensor. Plus I like the idea of a hub gear, and hydraulic brakes... hence there are not that many options out there, since I am only interested in 20 in wheel ones.
I have heard some people claim crank drive bikes feel more like normal bikes, could this be the reason, I have a hub drive and I am happy with it but just throwing that out as a possibility, others can pipe in on this.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Hi, you may see from my other thread asking opinions about folding bikes. After some research (and tested two bikes) today I've decided to up my budget, and narrowed down to these two

sahel compact impulse 8
winora radius

Do you guys have any experience of them? Any comments would be welcome.
The impulse drive has checked reliability history. There are a couple threads devoted to.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I love the Winora Radius not only a proven motor but much better design IMO. Another one I like is the orbea katu https://www.orbea.com/int-en/brands/katu-e/ which is Bosch powered. I have seen this bike in the flesh and it is a very nice piece of kit in a small package.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Buying an Impulse bike is still a leap of faith.

I also prefer the design of the Radius and the Katu - my push bike is a Katu.

The basket is large, in particular wide, which can make the bike feel a bit clumsy in traffic.

Although it also acts as a good sighter, if the basket can get through the gap, you and the bike should as well.

The basket is removable, but is also very handy, so it would be a bit of a shame to take it off.

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
I have the Orbea Katu 20e and find it a great ride. https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/brands/katu-e/
I went for this style of bike as I needed it to fit crossways in the back of my panel van conversion (with foldable pedals and handlebars turned through 90 degrees). I also changed the bolts fixing the basket in place to ones with wingnuts so it is easy to remove. The basket is great when going shopping and leaving the van on site. Note: the front light is not attached to the basket.
Despite the 20" wheels it feels really stable - even at 35.6 mph (don't tell the wife). Being relatively heavy these e-bikes can certainly get some momentum going downhill! - glad it has hydraulic disc brakes. The 20e also has 8 speed hub gears which I find great, and so far maintenance free.
The Katu is certainly worth a test ride.

Cheers

Kendalian

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
See my private message.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Sorry, it was to 'surfthewave'.