Scooter conversion - help needed

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
It's been quite a while since I have been on the site and have forgotten who the best guys for advice are and so I hope someone can help me.

This is a bit of a fun project.

My commute is a 36km undulating round trip, starting at 4 am. I am 57 now and sometimes I feel I could do with some assistance, other times, especially in summer it is just a joy.

Anyway, my mode of transport is a Kickbike scooter. Except that it will be a front wheel drive.

I would like to add an electric assist to it. And no it is not a bottle battery, it is my flask of coffee, but a bottle battery would be good.

I am open to any suggestions as I really do not have much of a clue.

If it helps, I now have a front rack fitted. Which I also have on my other Scooter.

Last edited:

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Ah, the guy who extolled the virtues of the Tonaro bikes for a lengthy commute in Denmark!

That's an interesting project you're considering but I'm surprised you make no mention of the Tonaro. Are you still running that bike or have you got rid of it? I don't suppose the Tonaro motor lends itself very well to what you have in mind.

I can't remember now but didn't your other half ride a Tonaro also or did she rely on pure athletic ability?

As regards your potential project, the lack of pedals means you'll be throttle only for power but FWD should be fairly straightforward to accomplish with a decent hub motor. I'd be very surprised if Danish law permits such a machine though but you will know better than me.

Tom

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Hi Tom,

We sold both the Tonaros to our friend and his wife last year. They are still running well on the original batteries...well one battery was duff from the start but that replacement still runs well. I would still recommend them for a bombproof electric bike. But 2 more motorbikes meant something had to go to make space.o

Fitting an assist to a scooter will not be a problem in Denmark as it is not recognised as a bike. However, having a throttle on a Tonaro is illegal but was never a problem. It's only illegal if you get caught.

Throttle only power is all I am after. A bottle battery may give it the stealth effect with the local constable.

Swytch Bike

Trade Member
Sep 10, 2014
Hi Steve

Fitting the bottle rack will be a bit fiddly because of the curve. One option we have found successful is to screw the rack into one of the bottle mount screws and then use cable ties to secure the other end ( the battery racks normally are fitted using the two bottle mount screws that you get on most bike frames),

An integrated battery / controller is usually a good shout for this kind of application because you don't need to find space elsewhere for the controller and it is much neater. You'll also probably want reduces length cables otherwise you'll end up with loads of length spare and have to stash somewhere
How steep are your hills? A double speed motor like the Xiongda might be a good option as it will give you a higher gear ratio if you wanted to cruise up hills more easily

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I think I'd choose the 260 rpm Q100H front motor from BMSBattery along with the S06S controller and S-LCD1 the controller would go in your handlebar bag. That only leaves the battery, which is a bit tricky where to mount it. It could go in the bag too, but I think that you could mount it on a little DIY carrier over the back wheel for better balance.