Scott/Bosch v Giant/Yamaha long term reliability review.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have had my two bikes for about 2 years now and both have covered around 2500 miles (4000km) each (Giant Yamaha road e+1 v Scott Bosch e-genius 910).
The Giant has been utterly reliable and still looks and rides as it did when new and excluding tyres, pads and drive train components hasn't given me any reason to regret the purchase.
The Scott has also been reliable enough engine wise but has had a few niggly ongoing issues with the brakes, noisy bearing issues with the suspension, failure of the twinlock on the forks, plastic engine covers that don't fit well, plus one total power failure due to a battery fault.
Overall I feel that the giant will continue in the same manner and trust it to always get me home but for some reason that I can't explain I don't feel that secure when out on the Scott and wouldn't buy another.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Overall I feel that the giant will continue in the same manner and trust it to always get me home but for some reason that I can't explain I don't feel that secure when out on the Scott and wouldn't buy another.
For some reason I can't explain, that's exactly how I feel about the Scott product. I have a friend with an expensive (I don't think they do cheap!) hybrid and it seems to be back in the workshop rather more than she would like. She is a 5000 miles a year cyclist and has plenty of experience in all-weather cycling but the Scott has proved to be rather problematic.

Apart from that, I feel that Giant's range is pretty comprehensive and my proximity with a major Giant outlet is a big draw, not that I'm looking for another bike at the moment.:rolleyes:

Tom

• Informative
Reactions: mike killay

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
For some reason I can't explain, that's exactly how I feel about the Scott product. I have a friend with an expensive (I don't think they do cheap!) hybrid and it seems to be back in the workshop rather more than she would like. She is a 5000 miles a year cyclist and has plenty of experience in all-weather cycling but the Scott has proved to be rather problematic.

Apart from that, I feel that Giant's range is pretty comprehensive and my proximity with a major Giant outlet is a big draw, not that I'm looking for another bike at the moment.:rolleyes:

Tom
Actually.. rather problematic is a good description!

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
How can you compare the two? One is solely a road bike, and one has been used as an off road bike. Ride the Giant off road for a year or so, then come back with comparisons.
The Scott doesn't go anywhere you would call off road and the comparison was about reliability, not speed, climbing ability or battery range and could I argue that the scott cost nearly twice as much and is designed to go off road so should have off road use built into it?
Fair play if I did what you do but I don't, it is ridden 90% on road.
If I recall correctly when i bought this bike I was warned by members on this forum that I would have problems due do the lack of protection to the pivot bearings, which i did, so I still think my assessment is fair.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Breaking this down.

You haven't stated what the brake issue was, but certain sure, that the issue could be put down to not having a proper and fit maintenance regime.

Bearing issues.... Irrelevant of brand, bearings wear on all mtb's and eMTB's full suspension or hardatil, when used in an off road situation, or if an improper cleaning or maintenance regime has taken place. I do agree that your Scott had a particularly poor bearing design though with it's exposed main pivot bearings, that sadly could well of caused premature wear.

Twin lock on the forks.... Once again, irrelevant of brand, any remote lock out system will become problematic and fail when moisture has entered the system. Given the choice, I wouldn't have remote lock out on an mtb/eMTB, and where possible, remove them.

Plastic cases.... As fitted to your bike, they are just the generic plastic cases as supplied by Bosch. They are fine when correctly fitted, but I do agree that they can be a complete pain in the backside to line up and fit correctly. Thankfully things have moved on now.

Battery issue... Hardly the fault of Scott, and is one that could affect any pedelec be it an off road or road bike.

You simply can't compare the reliability of a road bike against that of an off road bike.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you should try fitting hope disc rotors with avid calipers :eek:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Breaking this down.

You haven't stated what the brake issue was, but certain sure, that the issue could be put down to not having a proper and fit maintenance regime.

Bearing issues.... Irrelevant of brand, bearings wear on all full suspension mtb's and eMTB's when used in an off road situation, or if an improper cleaning or maintenance regime has taken place. I do agree that your Scott had a particularly poor bearing design though with it's exposed lower pivot bearings, that sadly could well of caused premature wear.

Twin lock on the forks.... Once again, irrelevant of brand, any remote lock out system will become problematic and fail when moisture has entered the system. Given the choice, I wouldn't have remote lock out on an mtb/eMTB, and where possible, remove them.

Plastic cases.... As fitted to your bike, they are just the generic plastic cases as supplied by Bosch. They are fine when correctly fitted, but I do agree that they can be a complete pain in the backside to line up and fit correctly. Thankfully things have moved on now.

Battery issue... Hardly the fault of Scott, and is one that could affect any pedelec be it an off road or road bike.

You simply can't compare the reliability of a road bike against that of an off road bike.
I was going to title this thread as Bosch v Yamaha, but then changed it to include the bike manufacturer .
To fill in the gaps.. My rear brake is a PITA it sometimes works ok and other times it doesn't. I have had it ff countless, times cleaned and silicone greased the pistons after which it works really well for a while. I have tried different brands and types of pad but if it ever gets wet, the next ride it will groan and squeal and not offer much stopping power (as though it had oil on the pads) until I have been down a big hill and warmed it up, after which it will be fine for a while, so probably needs replacing but as the cables go through the frame its a job I cant do and I dont have the time to take it in the LBS.
The bearings weren't worn they just needed lubing to stop them creaking and groaning.
The twinlok ,according to LBS, was under engineered and not made for our climate and they have sent loads of them back to fox to be sorted under warranty.
I dont consider a battery fault to be bosch rather than Scott, I consider it to be a fault on the bike which could have given me a long unpowered ride home because it needed a battery out and then back in to reset and I didn't have the key with me.
Maintenance and cleaning.. They both get the same which is not a lot because I rarely go out in the rain and avoid mud and puddles. My only off road ride is a 2 mile towpath to the post office, and since my business died I dont even do that now. To put it into perspective I never clean under the saddle, and its just like new!!
I can see your point, when people like you use their off road bikes for what they were designed for with everything getting rubbed in muc and grit which will shorten the life of various bits, but I dont do that at all, the only real difference in usage is the road bike is predominantly ridden on the flat and the mtb goes up a lot of hills.
You simply can't compare the reliability of a road bike against that of an off road bike ..So are you saying road bikes are more likely to be reliable and off road bikes are generally unreliable?

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
a dremel will do it for 25 quid ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0223.JPG
take a look at the circle rivets on the rotors that connects to the black part.

where the caliper bolts on the mount is to wide so the wheel would not even go round.

i had to grind of 1mm of the inside of the caliper where the bottom bolt is so the rotor could pass and not rub the pads as well.

thus no fooker has my rotors and brakes :D

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
View attachment 25117
take a look at the circle rivets on the rotors that connects to the black part.

where the caliper bolts on the mount is to wide so the wheel would not even go round.

i had to grind of 1mm of the inside of the caliper where the bottom bolt is so the rotor could pass and not rub the pads as well.

thus no fooker has my rotors and brakes :D
All looks very nice but I need to do less, not more!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i like diy as it saves going to a lbs or pc world for help ;)

DSC_0122.JPG
if i vanish then its blown up lol:eek:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0123.JPG
all done and new coat of black paint to stop the rust :D