Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Hi,

I guess the question could also be what is the main benefit of the Bosch Performance CX 250w system with 500wh battery over the Bosch Active 250w system with 400wh battery.

Many thanks,

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the motors are all the same bar the cx which is a bit lighter but still the same inside.

cx 75nm
performance 60nm
active 50nm
sclass 60nm tho 45kph

its all software controlled buy bosch.

Chez

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 5, 2016
Shropshire / north wales
I'm really happy with my Scott as a brand although in about 6 months I've not needed to use a dealer only consumable parts reqd , I'm quite hard on mine and it seems pretty good to me ,I would buy another.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Hi,

I guess the question could also be what is the main benefit of the Bosch Performance CX 250w system with 500wh battery over the Bosch Active 250w system with 400wh battery.

Many thanks,
Get the bigger battery. No argument.
Miles need watts. It's the most basic part. Fine tuning delivery is twiddling with minor points.

StewC

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2016
Lancing, on the South Downs.
My wife purchased a Scott Sub Comfort just over a year ago, has never ridden it in the rain and it has always been kept in a dry storage unit, with my other bikes. It has rust forming in various parts, handle bars (black painted steel), spokes (black painted), brake callipers, wheel nuts (chrome plated), and on the headset bearing carriers that caused the steering to be very heavy. I cleaned them up and lubricated them, as there wasn't much grease around them.
My local Scott dealer (Quest) wasn't very helpful, and fob us off after taking photos, then supposedly sending them onto Scott, we chased them but they had heard nothing, so my wife contacted Scott, and sent them various pictures, as requested but Scott were unable to give any support in anyway, apart from saying its as rusty as the bike in the back ground, that was my 16 year old Trek I use for commuting, that has had a hard life, and been ridden in all weathers, and had a fair few years of abuse. Obviously Scott expect their bikes to look like a 16 year old bike in just 12 months.
I think Scott are using cheap parts to build their bikes, resulting in poor quality. I cant comment on their whole range, but this is my experience with Scott, and a Sub Comfort (non e-bike)
I was going to buy a Scott Road bike and E-MTB, but I have since chosen a different brand, so due to Scott poor customer experience I have spent just over £4.5k with other manufactures.
I have an ebike with the Bosch CX motor with a 500Wh battery and it has been great, much better than my mates Yamaha with a 400Wh battery. The extra distance you can get with the extra 100Wh, defiantly helps with "Range Anxiety".

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Thanks for feedback.

For the sizing would it be the xtra large or large that's closest to a touring bike 58cm frame?

I'm finding the sizing chart a bit confusing and it's a special order in so don't want to waste time with the large (which could be appear right) if I need the xtra large.

I generally like a large bike.

Thaks in advance,

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Comparing quoted sizes of different bikes is difficult, more so when one is a flat bar trekking bike and the other is a drop bar tourer.

However, your tourer is 23" give or take, which on any view is a big bike.

That, and your preference for a large bike, would suggest XL in the Scott.

The Scott does have an adjustable stem, so of the three points of contact - saddle, bars, pedals - you can adjust two of them.

Reactions: bikey850

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Thanks - looking at the sizing diagram shows a wide range for the large (it can presumably adjust over a wide range) and the XL sizing area picking up from the top of the large. I think I would be much happier on the XL so will try this first.

Confused a bit of the difference between the SCOTT E-sub Sport 20 and the SCOTT E-sub sport 10. I'm guessing really just the number of gears? Is this likely to be a larger range or more values of the same range for the 20 gear bike? Can the rear cassette be swapped out on an electric bike without causing issues?

Presumably 20 gears means a second cog on the pedal crank or will it be 20 cogs on the rear cassette? I'm thinking this would mean a thinner chain - my touring bike has 30 gears but that's 3x10.

It's hard to see from the Scott website and I'm thinking that a second cog on the pedal crank would be tricky to implement on an electric bike and prone to mechanical troubles. Is 10 gears enough?

Many thanks,

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they can have 1 or 2 sprockets at the front for 10 or 20 spd.

most at the rear will be a 11spd cassette but then only have 1 sprocket at the front if it has one of those.

tho i have two at the front on my 11spd bike but manual change.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks - looking at the sizing diagram shows a wide range for the large (it can presumably adjust over a wide range) and the XL sizing area picking up from the top of the large. I think I would be much happier on the XL so will try this first.

Confused a bit of the difference between the SCOTT E-sub Sport 20 and the SCOTT E-sub sport 10. I'm guessing really just the number of gears? Is this likely to be a larger range or more values of the same range for the 20 gear bike? Can the rear cassette be swapped out on an electric bike without causing issues?

Presumably 20 gears means a second cog on the pedal crank or will it be 20 cogs on the rear cassette? I'm thinking this would mean a thinner chain - my touring bike has 30 gears but that's 3x10.

It's hard to see from the Scott website and I'm thinking that a second cog on the pedal crank would be tricky to implement on an electric bike and prone to mechanical troubles. Is 10 gears enough?

Many thanks,
The main difference between the two bikes is one has the bigger battery and the Performance motor, the other has the smaller battery and the Active Line motor.

It's unlikely the difference between the two motors will bother you, there's not much in it.

The bigger battery is well worth having, unless you literally will never do more than 30 miles in easy conditions.

As Soundwave says, there's an aftermarket mod for a double chain ring, but it's manual change.

Most users wouldn't need it, the rear cassette is a wide range one.

You can change that as you would an ordinary bike, but the only reason to do that is when/if it wears out.

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Thanks.

It does appear confusing... well to me at least!

The E-sub Sport 20 has 10 gears and the Bosch Performance 250w with 500wh battery.
The E-sub Sport 10 has 10 gears and the Bosch Performance CX 250w System with 500wh battery.

The 20 is cheaper than the 10 by approx £200 or so. Main difference appears to be the slightly lighter CX motor.

As far as I can see both the 10 and the 20 have 10 gears.

I'm thinking the 10 is the way to go but wonder if I have misread the specs?

Many thanks,

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the cx has 15% more power so 75nm than 60nm for the performance motor.

a cx motor is 600 quid and the performance is 550 quid if you had to buy one.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks.

It does appear confusing... well to me at least!

The E-sub Sport 20 has 10 gears and the Bosch Performance 250w with 500wh battery.
The E-sub Sport 10 has 10 gears and the Bosch Performance CX 250w System with 500wh battery.

The 20 is cheaper than the 10 by approx £200 or so. Main difference appears to be the slightly lighter CX motor.

As far as I can see both the 10 and the 20 have 10 gears.

I'm thinking the 10 is the way to go but wonder if I have misread the specs?

Many thanks,
I was going by the first link in your first post, which is to a different bike.

As you say, the main difference between the Sport 10 and 20 is the Performance or CX motor.

Again, there's very little in it, although the CX does feel slightly perkier at the expense of higher battery consumption - depending how you use it.

The Performance should have plenty of grunt for your purpose.

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
I'd ideally like to buy locally and suport the local busineses, but wonder what a price that keeps the dealer and myself happy would be. As it's a 2017 bike is there likely to still be some leverage for the dealer to offer discount? Many thanks.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I'd ideally like to buy locally and suport the local busineses, but wonder what a price that keeps the dealer and myself happy would be. As it's a 2017 bike is there likely to still be some leverage for the dealer to offer discount? Many thanks.
Only sure way to find out is ask.

My local bike shop will offer 10 per cent discount for cash on most new bikes.

What might be a bigger concern for you is establishing when you can get the bike.

All bike manufacturers - electric and push - offer lots of models, but availability can be a problem.

If your chosen bike is in stock or in a wholesaler's warehouse, you have something concrete to negotiate over.

A factory order may take some time, and quoted delivery dates are not always accurate.

• Agree
Reactions: StewC

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Hi,

So there is a bit of a delay in getting stock from Scott for the size I need.

Unfortunately this gives me even more time to mull over the decision...

What would the general advice here be - is the Scott e-sub sport 20 2017 worth the extra £600 price over the Scott e-sub tour 2017 for a commuting bike?

Many thanks

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
A bump for me as big delays on the Scott E-sub for size I require mean I've still not solved the dilema of wether the £600 difference is worth it!

I'm thinking it probably is as the bike will be used for a good few years so would not want to penny pinche and regret it.

Any thought?

Many thanks,

Hi,

So there is a bit of a delay in getting stock from Scott for the size I need.

Unfortunately this gives me even more time to mull over the decision...

What would the general advice here be - is the Scott e-sub sport 20 2017 worth the extra £600 price over the Scott e-sub tour 2017 for a commuting bike?

Many thanks