sea otter electric bike race usa

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
Good vid sw,but what does industry challenged mean.???

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
An electric bike race is an interesting concept and I wonder when it will be seen here..
The issue of cheating would raise its head but that can easily be sorted by making the race distance/difficulty not easy to achieve on full battery giving the riders 2 objectives.. 1 ..to win and 2 to finish the race..
A thinking mans bike race

Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bit slow for me lol just got it to 32 mph ;) tho short ride i used over 1 bar off the 500w batt.

Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
An electric bike race is an interesting concept and I wonder when it will be seen here..
E-bike races already been seen here Phill, we were the first in the world to have them. In 2007, 2008 and 2009 there were big e-bike gathering events at Presteigne, called the Tour of Presteigne and lasting a whole weekend. The organiser was a Pete Mustill who later became a director of the bike dealer Onbike. Huge numbers attended.

The event included a grand tour of the village with lots of entertainment etc and there was an all out race on a public road circuit there in the first two years. Of course that's strictly speaking illegal so on the third year it was held off road. There was also an e-bike hill climb competition.

The race was won in the first year by David Henshaw of A to B magazine riding an Ezee Torq with Ken Ching of Ezee Kinetics second on another Torq. In year three, 2009, one of our members, scientist Tiberius (Nick) built his own Crystalyte motored bike especially for the events, even to a modified welded fame and won both the race and the hill climb

Here's Nick coming in to win the race on his red bike:

More of that 2009 race photos on this link.

A whole host of photos of the 2009 Tour weekend on this link. ( A bit slow loading).

Nick's bike build thread on this link.

A thread on the 2008 tour on this link.

A thread on the 2009 tour on this link.

Sadly our search facility doesn't go back far enough to get details of the 2007 tour.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I really had no idea! I kept thinking that the way to end the cheating issue would be to have e-bike specific events tailored to handicap the dongle bikes.. A bit like the F1 series ..
Well i never, thanks for that.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well that xc race i posted in the forest for next month last years winner did it in 3hrs 14 mins and thats 4 laps 40 miles.

they must be flying to get a time like that up the forest on a normal bike.

even with a dongle id just be able to match them i think but it would be close call and to much turbo then id run out off batt b4 the finish.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
well that xc race i posted in the forest for next month last years winner did it in 3hrs 14 mins and thats 4 laps 40 miles.

they must be flying to get a time like that up the forest on a normal bike.

even with a dongle id just be able to match them i think but it would be close call and to much turbo then id run out off batt b4 the finish.
It's all in the leg action..[emoji12]

Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i can get 2 laps done in turbo ;)

Related Articles

Advertisers