Second bike?

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
So I’m commuting on my Hardrock with a Woosh BPM conversion one to get fit and two because the powers that be thought it would be a really good idea to cripple one of the main routes into Manchester for 12 months!

That had me thinking this week which is always dangerous! Do I look for a second bike as a “backup”.... Currently the budget is £600 - 700 which is my absolute max.. Seen a lot of low use Carrera Crossfire’s on eBay for around that, I know they have a cut out issue but for my 18 mile commute would it be that much of a concern or should I look at something else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
So I’m commuting on my Hardrock with a Woosh BPM conversion one to get fit and two because the powers that be thought it would be a really good idea to cripple one of the main routes into Manchester for 12 months!

That had me thinking this week which is always dangerous! Do I look for a second bike as a “backup”.... Currently the budget is £600 - 700 which is my absolute max.. Seen a lot of low use Carrera Crossfire’s on eBay for around that, I know they have a cut out issue but for my 18 mile commute would it be that much of a concern or should I look at something else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I wouls say the cutouts are a concern however long or short the distance!

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Wife has one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/limitless-sharing-TDL6162-dutch-bicycle/dp/B071CZLR57 only problem we've had in over a year was the spokes went slack and started breaking. If you get the wheels properly tensioned by someone this is less likely to happen. I had a falcon spark which was very fast once throttle installed but can't recommend due to dangerous fuse problem in the battery, this also had the spokes issue. Lastly have a look at ancheer and cyclamatic both make cheapo decent bikes.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Crossfire-e is my daily commuter for the past 2 years, 12 mile round trip, ride it on top assistance level, uses about 50% battery a day (one big hill on route).
I get the odd cut out (reset/re-seat battery), and I have had some spokes snap on the rear wheel, apart from that, no issues.

However, not sure I'd buy a 2nd hand one though if like me, you need it as your sole bike. I'm happy to buy the bike new for £660, run it for 2 years while covered by the warranty, then sell on and buy a new one. That's what I did in January

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
The Ancheer on Amazon for £576 looks the best option . I saw one last week and the overall quality and controls were excellent . The Owner was delighted with it and although the battery capacity is on the low side , he reckoned to get 30 miles out of it . The Wooshes are excellent but their prices have crept up to the £1000 mark now . Other MTB`s with bottle batteries are the Pro Rider Spark at £899 and the similar Fenetic Sprint for £799 , more than your budget .

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
It does seem the budget is the sticking point so I think for now I'll leave it in the bank and try and add a bit more to it before winter sets in.

I don't think my setup will fail it's more just covering my bases and desperately trying to not revert to the car. I noticed the cube on the classifieds and yeah that saying comes to mind "Champagne tastes, but lemonade money!"

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
Oops hadn't finished!

As for the crossfire's on eBay well one I enquired about claimed it to be 4months old.... Yeah 4 months to them with 3k on the system and actually 16 months old!

The crossfire for 660 was that a new year sale? That would be tempting ...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
sell the car :D

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
There is an article in the Sunday Times today stating that a Junior Transport Minister is considering a subsidy for Electric Bike purchases and upping the current £1000 limit for the Cycle to Work Scheme which would be raised to £1500-£2000 to cover Ebikes . Britons only buy 65,000 Ebikes a year compared to Germany`s 720,000 and Ebikes are the only electric vehicles not to receive a Government subsidy .
`Unseen` the above news is another reason to delay a purchase .

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Keep your eyes on the classified ads. I recently bought a Oxygen emate city for spar parts for a 2011 one I have and when I got it home realised that it was in much better nick than mine.

It needed a saddle £10 from lidl and a replacement spoke in the rear wheel. Oxygen sent me 10 free of charge in the post.

Even the battery that I thought must be long dead after being left uncharged in the guy's garage has come back to life after being charged.

It had done 500 miles from new and came shod with marathon plus tyres, all for £110 so far.

So rather than being a bank of spar parts it has become my third ebike or indeed my C bike.

I have been commuting to work by ebike since 2011 and having a second bike available just in case has proved invaluable at times while you fix whatever it is that has gone wrong with the other one.