Selling conversion kit - tax question?

Furuuaye

Just Joined
May 18, 2018
Oxfordshire
Hi! I was given a conversion kit by a friend and it doesn't fit great on my bike & doesn't quite deliver the power I want so I'm looking to sell it and use that money for an upgrade. However I am concerned about tax - I make around the personal allowance amount (just under this year) however with selling the kit I will be put in the lower tax band according to this after tax calculator. I've heard eBay sellers being investigated for undeclared income and would rather not have to deal with that - so should I be worrying about this or not bother? Normally I wouldn't care as I have paid tax for buying the item anyway, but I didn't pay any VAT on this as I was given it.

Thanks in advance :)

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Hi! I was given a conversion kit by a friend and it doesn't fit great on my bike & doesn't quite deliver the power I want so I'm looking to sell it and use that money for an upgrade. However I am concerned about tax - I make around the personal allowance amount (just under this year) however with selling the kit I will be put in the lower tax band according to this after tax calculator. I've heard eBay sellers being investigated for undeclared income and would rather not have to deal with that - so should I be worrying about this or not bother? Normally I wouldn't care as I have paid tax for buying the item anyway, but I didn't pay any VAT on this as I was given it.

Thanks in advance :)
You don't have to worry. Non-business sellers are not liable for any tax on the value of a sale. The only VAT you will be liable for is the VAT charged by ebay on the final value fees (20% on top of ebay's selling fee).

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
So a kit worth a few hundred pounds is going to attract the wrath of HMRC?!

Aren`t you being a tad paranoid?

Sell the thing on here for cash ........ what is it btw??

dear `o dear......

D

Deleted member 4366

Let's make it simple: There's no tax to pay when you sell your own used stuff on Ebay.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
HMRC do take a very dim view of people pretending to be selling personal items (perfectly legitimate by the way ) when they are actually traders - you are safe on 2 levels; one its a single personal item, and two there are plenty of personal "traders" on ebay, gumtree and the rest who escape HMRC's gaze despite really obvious dealings - one person on gumtree near me has at least a dozen kids bikes permanently listed for "private" sale, they even have amazingly cheap adult bikes that appear late on Saturday night only to be sold by morning - but no one seems to are very much . . .