Sending lithium battery packs via courier

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I may be after shipping a lithium ion battery pack to another UK address. Thank you to another forum member who suggested two companies who would do this, but unfortunately it appears that you need to be a registered business to use them.

Then I spotted this:

http://www.yodel.co.uk/prohibited-and-restricted-items/

It appears a bit contradictory, as it states that they will not carry items that come under:

• UN classified Dangerous Goods and any goods specified as such under IATA, ADR or IMDG regulations
But further down they state:

Lithium Batteries
Only lithium batteries contained in equipment are acceptable by Yodel for carriage and must follow strict packing requirements, the article:

• containing the batteries must be packed in strong rigid packaging
  • must be secure to prevent any movement, in order to prevent accidental activation
  • the name and address of the sender must be clearly legible

So, does anyone else think that they are saying it's ok to transport a battery pack, as long as it complies with the three bullet points?

http://www.yodel.co.uk/prohibited-and-restricted-items/

D

Deleted member 4366

That's not what they mean. You can send a mobile phone, laptop, electric lawnmower or an electric bike, but not a battery on its own; however, the battery is in a rigid case with a BMS, so you could argue that it's part of equipment. The problem will come when you declare the item as a battery in equipment, when they ask you which equipment is it in? If they don't ask, you're home and dry.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Might not be same but Air Carriers impose a w/h limit. I think 250 w/h max single ( might be 350) and max of 400 as a,pair...but must be isolated and packed in secure container. Apparently there is an issue with battery contents attacking aluminium...if case splits whole plane has to be inspected...not just immediate vicinity...( ie its not just the fire issue)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
however, the battery is in a rigid case with a BMS, so you could argue that it's part of equipment.
Yes, I was wondering whether a battery pack would be classed as part of equipment. I'm gonna contact them anyway and clarify.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I was wondering whether a battery pack would be classed as part of equipment. I'm gonna contact them anyway and clarify.
If asked what the equipment containing the battery is, say it's a power supply.

That isn't untruthful and there are numerous battery containing power supplies on the market, phone chargers, car jump starters for examples.

• Useful
Reactions: Fordulike

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
That's not what they mean. You can send a mobile phone, laptop, electric lawnmower or an electric bike, but not a battery on its own; however, the battery is in a rigid case with a BMS, so you could argue that it's part of equipment. The problem will come when you declare the item as a battery in equipment, when they ask you which equipment is it in? If they don't ask, you're home and dry.
I was faced with a similar situation when i had to return a bottled battery because it was the wrong size. The local post office quoted the same edict about the battery needing to be part of some equipment. Fortunately they accepted my argument that the battery was a container for the actual batteries which also included a controller.

Advertisers